building Python on solaris

Discussion in 'Python' started by Thomas Heller, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. I'm trying to build Python on the sourceforge compile farm's solaris
    platform. ./configure fails with this error message:

    x86-solaris1:~/python/dist/src$ ./configure
    checking MACHDEP... sunos5
    checking EXTRAPLATDIR...
    checking for --without-gcc... no
    checking for --with-cxx=<compiler>... no
    checking for c++... c++
    checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.out
    checking whether the C++ compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C++ compiled programs.
    If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
    See `config.log' for more details.

    And config.log has this:

    configure:1804: checking whether the C++ compiler works
    configure:1810: ./a.out
    ld.so.1: ./a.out: fatal: libstdc++.so.5: open failed: No such file or directory
    ../configure: line 1: 29455 Killed ./$ac_file
    configure:1813: $? = 137
    configure:1822: error: cannot run C++ compiled programs.
    If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
    See `config.log' for more details.

    So, it seems a c++ library is missing. I assume the C++ compiler isn't
    really needed to build Python - can I somehow run configure so that this
    test is skipped?

    Thanks,

    Thomas
    Thomas Heller, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Thomas Heller

    Trent Mick Guest

    Thomas Heller wrote:
    > So, it seems a c++ library is missing. I assume the C++ compiler isn't
    > really needed to build Python - can I somehow run configure so that this
    > test is skipped?

    Perhaps the --without-cxx configure option will work for you? I build on
    Solaris with the native Sun Pro C compiler so I can't be sure.

    Cheers,
    Trent

    --
    Trent Mick
    Trent Mick, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Trent Mick <> writes:

    > Thomas Heller wrote:
    >> So, it seems a c++ library is missing. I assume the C++ compiler isn't
    >> really needed to build Python - can I somehow run configure so that this
    >> test is skipped?

    > Perhaps the --without-cxx configure option will work for you? I build
    > on Solaris with the native Sun Pro C compiler so I can't be sure.

    Thanks, that worked.

    Thomas
    Thomas Heller, Oct 21, 2004