building Python on solaris

Thomas Heller

I'm trying to build Python on the sourceforge compile farm's solaris
platform. ./configure fails with this error message:

x86-solaris1:~/python/dist/src$ ./configure
checking MACHDEP... sunos5
checking EXTRAPLATDIR...
checking for --without-gcc... no
checking for --with-cxx=<compiler>... no
checking for c++... c++
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C++ compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C++ compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details.

And config.log has this:

configure:1804: checking whether the C++ compiler works
configure:1810: ./a.out
ld.so.1: ./a.out: fatal: libstdc++.so.5: open failed: No such file or directory
../configure: line 1: 29455 Killed ./$ac_file
configure:1813: $? = 137
configure:1822: error: cannot run C++ compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details.

So, it seems a c++ library is missing. I assume the C++ compiler isn't
really needed to build Python - can I somehow run configure so that this
test is skipped?

Thanks,

Thomas

Trent Mick

Thomas said:
So, it seems a c++ library is missing. I assume the C++ compiler isn't
really needed to build Python - can I somehow run configure so that this
test is skipped?

Perhaps the --without-cxx configure option will work for you? I build on
Solaris with the native Sun Pro C compiler so I can't be sure.

Cheers,
Trent

Thomas Heller

Trent Mick said:
Perhaps the --without-cxx configure option will work for you? I build
on Solaris with the native Sun Pro C compiler so I can't be sure.

Thanks, that worked.

Thomas