Building Python: static library "3.2m"

Chris Angelico

Hi! Just a quickie, I hope, where someone will probably be able to
answer off the top of his head.

I downloaded the 3.2 sources with the intention of building that
instead of using Ubuntu's default Python 2.6.6. Ran ./configure, make,
sudo make install, and then fiddled with a few things like make all,
make libinstall, make libainstall. Eventually got a libpython3.2m.a in
/usr/local/lib.

Question: Why "3.2m"? What does that m mean? It seems to have come up
a couple of times in the build process.

Thanks in advance!

Chris Angelico