building Python under Services for Unix (SFU)

Mike Maxwell

First, apologies if this is not the appropriate newsgroup (and let me know
what would be a better group).

I downloaded the Python 2.3.3, did the ./configure and make routine.
'configure' seems to run OK, but 'make' produces a large number of
errors, including "undefined reference to 'PyInt_FromLong'", "undefined
reference to 'PyErr_SetString'", and a host of others. Clearly something is
wrong, but I'm not sure where to start. One suggestion (which I got from a
similar posting on microsoft.public.servicesforunix.general) was that the
problem was that Python was creating a binary that exported all symbols to
extension modules, and that I would need to edit the configure.in file to
fix it. Unfortunately, that gets beyond what I know how to do :-(). (I can
edit files, I just don't know what to change!)

Also, there appears to be an incompatibility between the version of
'install' in SFU and the one that the Python makefile expects: the latter
uses a '-d' parameter, which the SFU 'install' doesn't have.

There doesn't seem to be any info over at Python.org on compiling for SFU.

Has anyone succeeded in building Python in SFU?

(I am aware that there is a Windows version of Python. But it expects the
Windows syntax for paths, not the Unix/SFU paths. And for all I know there
are other incompatibilities as well.)

Mike Maxwell
maxwell at ldc dot upenn dot edu