building Python under Services for Unix (SFU)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Rich Krauter, Feb 13, 2004.

  1. Rich Krauter

    Rich Krauter Guest

    >(I am aware that there is a Windows version of
    Python. >But it expects the
    >Windows syntax for paths, not the Unix/SFU paths.

    And >for all I know there
    >are other incompatibilities as well.)

    Do you have to use SFU for some reason? If not, try
    cygwin - see http://www.cygwin.com. You don't have to
    build python from sources (just make sure python is
    selected during the install process), and you can
    install lots of other things sfu doesn't include.

    Rich

    http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
    Rich Krauter, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Rich Krauter

    Mike Maxwell Guest

    Rich Krauter <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Do you have to use SFU for some reason? If not, try
    > cygwin ...

    I had moved to SFU from CygWin, thinking there might be an advantage
    (speed, NFS access, etc.) In the end, I decided the disadvantages
    (not having a Python that used the unix-style directory structure,
    lack of some other utilities I depended on) outweighed whatever
    advantages there might be, and reverted to CygWin.

    I think the moral of the story for Microsoft is that they have some
    work to do to make SFU a competitor. At least that's my view; I may
    be missing something.

    Mike Maxwell
    Mike Maxwell, Feb 23, 2004