Building Ruby 1.8.1 on Panther

Richard Kilmer

I just posted a entry to my (new) weblog on building the latest CVS of
Ruby on OS X Panther. It covers installing readline before Ruby to
enable irb to work properly. You can find the post here:

http://richkilmer.blogs.com/ether/2003/10/building_ruby_1.html

I will be posting the use of xCode (Apple's new code editor) with Ruby.
It has some nice support right out of the box for Ruby syntax
highlighting, etc.

I know, I know, I should be using FreeRIDE for this, but when you are
the one hacking FreeRIDE, its hard to use it to edit files :)

-rich

Chris Thomas

I just posted a entry to my (new) weblog on building the latest CVS of
Ruby on OS X Panther. It covers installing readline before Ruby to
enable irb to work properly. You can find the post here:

http://richkilmer.blogs.com/ether/2003/10/building_ruby_1.html

Cool, thanks! I've been meaning to install 1.8 myself.
I will be posting the use of xCode (Apple's new code editor) with
Ruby. It has some nice support right out of the box for Ruby syntax
highlighting, etc.

Agreed, it's actually now a fairly decent Ruby editor. There are a few
bugs in the Ruby highlighting and navigation, which I've already
submitted to bugreport.apple.com. The navigation menu seems mostly
useless on non-trivial files, unfortunately.

Chris