    what might be going on, but will appreciate ideas and pointers here as
    well.

    Thanks

    dingo, Sep 1, 2006

  2. dingo wrote:
    > Hi, All,
    >
    > My first post here:) I am trying something I have been doing with Lua
    > for years - dragging Ruby source files into an empty VS project and
    > trying to build it. That's all on Win32 XP with MSVS. It doesn't
    > compile! Missing config.h, which I can't find anywhere in ruby source
    > except for VMS, not for Win32, some constants defined in parse.c are
    > used in lex.c and so they don't compile either. Any ideas as I can
    > succeed at what I am doing? I hope I am not trying to do something
    > people have never expected anyone to do:)

    config.h is, confusingly enough, a header file with configuration.
    Machine and user-specific configuration. Usually a configuration script,
    confusingly called "configure", generates this header file, and a
    makefile you can use to build the program. This essential is usually
    described in a file someone confusingly named INSTALL or README,
    sneakily hidden in the main directory of the source archive.

    Welcome to the POSIX build process. Lua is an exception rather than a
    rule in that you can build it that way due to being a very simple
    language and environment. Whoever makes the one-click installer might eb
    able to describe how to build Ruby using MSVS in more detail, I'd just
    get MinGW and use a POSIX environment where the ./configure && make all
    install incantation works.

    David Vallner

    David Vallner, Sep 1, 2006

  3. dingo

    dingo Guest

    Never mind, folks,
    Built it:) A ton of warnings of all sorts, but nevertheless.

    dingo, Sep 1, 2006
  4. dingo

    dingo Guest

    Sorry, saw your note too late - not vary familiar with Google groups
    yet.

    Thanks anyhow. Yeah, I first did the configure thing, according to the
    readme file [the instructions for this have one step missing BTW too]
    and then noticed that it produced the needed config.h. Had to poke
    around with a few other things here and there to finally have it built.

    Also the POSIX build process produces executable that is about 40%
    larger then my release build. Go figure:)

    D.

    dingo, Sep 1, 2006
  5. dingo wrote:
    > Also the POSIX build process produces executable that is about 40%
    > larger then my release build. Go figure:)

    Compiling in support for extra features or creating unoptimized code by
    default maybe? At least Curt Hibbs' builds and Linux ones create a
    static executable that invokes the interpreter stored in ruby18.dll, so
    there might be some size overhead appearing around those parts too.

    I can't really vouch for MinGW or whateer you used as far as code
    compactness is concerned.

    *shrug*

    David Vallner

    David Vallner, Sep 1, 2006