    source, or do you use the premade packages provided by your distro? Just
    curious...

    Tim Apple
    Tim Apple, Jul 17, 2009

  2. Hi --

    On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Tim Apple wrote:

    > I am new to Ruby, but fairly used to Linux. I was wondering if those
    > developing on Linux compile ruby, gems, and any other libs you may use from
    > source, or do you use the premade packages provided by your distro? Just
    > curious...

    I always compile Ruby from source, partly just to have control over
    exactly what I've got and partly as a vote of no-confidence in some of
    the silly packaging practices (splitting Ruby up into separate
    packages).

    David

    Now available: The Well-Grounded Rubyist (http://manning.com/black2)
    Training! Intro to Ruby, with Black & Kastner, September 14-17
    (More info: http://rubyurl.com/vmzN)
    David A. Black, Jul 17, 2009

  3. Tim Apple

    Tim Hunter Guest

    Tim Apple wrote:
    > I am new to Ruby, but fairly used to Linux. I was wondering if those
    > developing on Linux compile ruby, gems, and any other libs you may use
    > from
    > source, or do you use the premade packages provided by your distro? Just
    > curious...
    >
    > Tim Apple

    I build from source because I develop a fairly widely used Ruby
    extension and I want to test it with multiple versions of Ruby. Building
    from source lets me install multiple distinct versions of Ruby by
    specifying the target directory with the --prefix option on the
    configure script.

    But if you just want to write a little Ruby code and the package version
    is sufficient for your needs, why not use it? The only concern I'd have
    is that the version of Ruby in the package has a bug for which you need
    the fix.
    Tim Hunter, Jul 17, 2009
  4. On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, David A. Black wrote:

    > Hi --
    >
    > On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Tim Apple wrote:
    >
    >> I am new to Ruby, but fairly used to Linux. I was wondering if those
    >> developing on Linux compile ruby, gems, and any other libs you may use from
    >> source, or do you use the premade packages provided by your distro? Just
    >> curious...

    > I always compile Ruby from source, partly just to have control over
    > exactly what I've got and partly as a vote of no-confidence in some of
    > the silly packaging practices (splitting Ruby up into separate
    > packages).

    Oh, also: you can't use premade packages for all of these:
    http://ruby-versions.net :)

    David A. Black, Jul 17, 2009
  5. Tim Apple

    James Britt Guest

    Tim Apple wrote:
    > I am new to Ruby, but fairly used to Linux. I was wondering if those
    > developing on Linux compile ruby, gems, and any other libs you may use from
    > source, or do you use the premade packages provided by your distro? Just
    > curious...

    I build from source on Kubuntu. The pre-built packages tend to be too
    out of date, and compiling from source is easy.

    --
    James Britt

    www.neurogami.com - Smart application development
    James Britt, Jul 17, 2009
  6. On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Tim Apple<> wrote:
    > I am new to Ruby, but fairly used to Linux. I was wondering if those
    > developing on Linux compile ruby, gems, and any other libs you may use from
    > source, or do you use the premade packages provided by your distro? Just
    > curious...

    I always build from source because I've never personally ran into
    snags doing it, and it gives me full control.

    -greg
    Gregory Brown, Jul 19, 2009
  7. * James Britt <> (2009-07-17) schrieb:

    > Tim Apple wrote:
    >> I am new to Ruby, but fairly used to Linux. I was wondering if those
    >> developing on Linux compile ruby, gems, and any other libs you may use from
    >> source, or do you use the premade packages provided by your distro? Just
    >> curious...

    > I build from source on Kubuntu. The pre-built packages tend to be too
    > out of date, and compiling from source is easy.

    The current Debian lenny packages of Ruby 1.8 are 1.8.7, how out-of-date
    is that?

    I still use Ruby 1.8.5, that so far hasn't been a problem for me.

    mfg, simon .... one voice for premade packages
    Simon Krahnke, Jul 22, 2009