    Thanks in advance.

    Regards,
    -Manas

    MD, Apr 13, 2007

  2. On 4/13/07, MD <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I noticed that when I build and install ruby/gems, the path is hard
    > coded in the scripts. This causes a problem when I build on say an AIX
    > machine A and want to run the interpreter on AIX machine B. Is there
    > any way for the interpreter to be built in a path independent fashion?

    In general this is only possible with OS linker support (liko on OS
    X). The interpreter needs its dynamic libraries, and paths to these is
    traditionally hardcoded on unix-like OSes. If you place the
    interpreter in a different place linking usually breaks. But once you
    have interpreters on both systems you can look for extensions in
    various places. I am not sure about the gem loading but normal
    extensions can be loaded from anyplace you like.

    Thanks

    Michal

    Michal Suchanek, Apr 14, 2007