    and it's taking forever to get through the ri and rdoc for gems. I
    won't use these, so I'd like to not install them.

    Ideas?
    Sy Ali, Aug 4, 2007

  2. On Sat, Aug 04, 2007, Sy Ali wrote:
    > I see no way to build rubygems without documentation. I checked the
    > --help listing and ri and rdoc are not mentioned.

    Try gem help install. In there, you'll see --no-rdoc and --no-ri.

    Ben
    Ben Bleything, Aug 4, 2007

  3. Sy Ali

    Trans Guest

    On Aug 4, 9:30 am, Ben Bleything <> wrote:
    > On Sat, Aug 04, 2007, Sy Ali wrote:
    > > I see no way to build rubygems without documentation. I checked the
    > > --help listing and ri and rdoc are not mentioned.

    > Try gem help install. In there, you'll see --no-rdoc and --no-ri.

    Why are rdoc installed by default anyway? I have never used the rdocs
    installed on my system. I always go to the internet for this
    information.

    Now ri, is another matter. That's great to have on hand. However my --
    site option doesn't work, which makes me wonder, where are ri docs
    supposed to be stored in site_ruby so that ri can find them?

    T.
    Trans, Aug 4, 2007
  4. On Sun, Aug 05, 2007, Trans wrote:
    > Why are rdoc installed by default anyway? I have never used the rdocs
    > installed on my system. I always go to the internet for this
    > information.

    I use them all the time... there are a buncha libraries that don't post
    their api docs online, or their docs are out of sync with the version
    I've installed, or I'm away from internet access.

    > Now ri, is another matter. That's great to have on hand. However my --
    > site option doesn't work, which makes me wonder, where are ri docs
    > supposed to be stored in site_ruby so that ri can find them?

    No idea :)

    Ben
    Ben Bleything, Aug 4, 2007
  5. Sy Ali

    Sy Ali Guest

    On 8/4/07, Ben Bleything <> wrote:
    > On Sat, Aug 04, 2007, Sy Ali wrote:
    > > I see no way to build rubygems without documentation. I checked the
    > > --help listing and ri and rdoc are not mentioned.

    > Try gem help install. In there, you'll see --no-rdoc and --no-ri.

    No, I mean "RubyGems" _itself_

    I use "ruby setup.rb --help" and I see no options to not install rdoc
    or ri. I already tried those switches. =)
    Sy Ali, Aug 4, 2007
  6. On Sun, Aug 05, 2007, Sy Ali wrote:
    > No, I mean "RubyGems" _itself_

    Ah. Sorry about that, when you said "ri and rdoc for gems", I assumed
    you meant when installing actual gems.

    > I use "ruby setup.rb --help" and I see no options to not install rdoc
    > or ri. I already tried those switches. =)

    Sorry, can't help you :)

    Ben
    Ben Bleything, Aug 4, 2007
  7. Sy Ali

    dima Guest

    On Aug 4, 8:05 pm, Ben Bleything <> wrote:
    > On Sun, Aug 05, 2007, Sy Ali wrote:
    > > No, I mean "RubyGems" _itself_

    > Ah. Sorry about that, when you said "ri and rdoc for gems", I assumed
    > you meant when installing actual gems.
    >
    > > I use "ruby setup.rb --help" and I see no options to not install rdoc
    > > or ri. I already tried those switches. =)

    > Sorry, can't help you :)
    >
    > Ben

    If I understand the initial question right you do not want to install
    gems documentation since you are already using an on-line version of
    it.

    This could be answer to your question. Take the closer look to -no-
    rdoc and -no-ri switch on install command.

    E:\>gem help install
    Usage: gem install GEMNAME [options]
    or: gem install GEMNAME [options] -- --build-flags [options]

    -v, --version VERSION Specify version of gem to install
    -l, --local Restrict operations to the LOCAL
    domain
    -r, --remote Restrict operations to the REMOTE
    domain
    -b, --both Allow LOCAL and REMOTE operations
    -i, --install-dir DIR Gem repository directory to get
    installed
    gems.
    -d, --[no-]rdoc Generate RDoc documentation for
    the gem on
    install
    --[no-]ri Generate RI documentation for the
    gem on
    install
    -E, --env-shebang Rewrite the shebang line on
    installed
    scripts to use /usr/bin/env
    -f, --[no-]force Force gem to install, bypassing
    dependency
    checks
    -t, --[no-]test Run unit tests prior to
    installation
    -w, --[no-]wrappers Use bin wrappers for executables
    Not available on dosish platforms
    -P, --trust-policy POLICY Specify gem trust policy.
    --ignore-dependencies Do not install any required
    dependent gems
    -y, --include-dependencies Unconditionally install the
    required
    dependent gems

    Common Options:
    --source URL Use URL as the remote source for
    gems
    -p, --[no-]http-proxy Use HTTP proxy for remote ope...-test --install-dir c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    dima, Aug 4, 2007
  8. Sy Ali

    Sy Ali Guest

    On 8/4/07, dima <> wrote:
    > If I understand the initial question right you do not want to install
    > gems documentation since you are already using an on-line version of
    > it.

    You half-understand. I don't want to install the documentation for
    the "RubyGems" application itself. I am not talking about using the
    'gem' program to install a gem without documentation.

    For example, trying to install rubygems-0.9.4 itself, like this, I see
    no way to avoid installing documentation. I wonder if I can force a
    path for documentation installation to /dev/null or something simple.
    =)

    $ ruby setup.rb --help
    Typical Installation Procedure:
    $ ruby setup.rb config
    $ ruby setup.rb setup
    # ruby setup.rb install (may require root privilege)

    Detailed Usage:
    ruby setup.rb <global option>

    Global options:
    -q,--quiet suppress message outputs
    --verbose output messages verbosely
    --help print this message
    --version print version and quit
    --copyright print copyright and quit

    Tasks:
    all do config, setup, then install
    config saves your configurations
    show shows current configuration
    setup compiles ruby extentions and others
    install installs files
    test run all tests in test/
    clean does `make clean' for each extention
    distclean does `make distclean' for each extention

    Options for CONFIG or ALL:
    --installdirs=std/site/home std: install under libruby; site:
    install under site_ruby; home: install under $HOME []
    --prefix=path path prefix of target environment [/usr]
    --bindir=path the directory for commands [$prefix/bin]
    --libdir=path the directory for libraries [$prefix/lib]
    --datadir=path the directory for shared data [$prefix/share]
    --mandir=path the directory for man pages [$prefix/share/man]
    --sysconfdir=path the directory for system configuration files [/etc]
    --localstatedir=path the directory for local state data [/var/lib]
    --libruby=path the directory for ruby libraries [/usr/lib/ruby]
    --librubyver=path the directory for standard ruby libraries
    [/usr/lib/ruby/1.8]
    --librubyverarch=path the directory for standard ruby extensions
    [/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i586-linux-gnu]
    --siteruby=path the directory for version-independent aux
    ruby libraries [/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby]
    --siterubyver=path the directory for aux ruby libraries
    [/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8]
    --siterubyverarch=path the directory for aux ruby binaries
    [/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i586-linux-gnu]
    --rbdir=path the directory for ruby scripts [$siterubyver]
    --sodir=path the directory for ruby extentions [$siterubyverarch]
    --rubypath=path the path to set to #! line [/usr/bin/ruby]
    --rubyprog=name the ruby program using for installation
    [/usr/bin/ruby]
    --makeprog=name the make program to compile ruby extentions [make]
    --shebang=all/ruby/never shebang line (#!) editing mode [ruby]
    --without-ext does not compile/install ruby extentions [no]
    --rbconfig=path rbconfig.rb to load [running ruby's]

    Options for INSTALL:
    --no-harm only display what to do if given [off]
    --prefix=path install path prefix []
    Sy Ali, Aug 4, 2007
  9. Sy Ali

    dima Guest

    On Aug 4, 11:18 pm, "Sy Ali" <> wrote:
> [...]

    > ruby libraries [/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby]
    > --siterubyver=path the directory for aux ruby libraries
    > [/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8]
    > --siterubyverarch=path the directory for aux ruby binaries
    > [/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i586-linux-gnu]
    > --rbdir=path the directory for ruby scripts [$siterubyver]
    > --sodir=path the directory for ruby extentions [$siterubyverarch]
    > --rubypath=path the path to set to #! line [/usr/bin/ruby]
    > --rubyprog=name the ruby program using for installation
    > [/usr/bin/ruby]
    > --makeprog=name the make program to compile ruby extentions [make]
    > --shebang=all/ruby/never shebang line (#!) editing mode [ruby]
    > --without-ext does not compile/install ruby extentions [no]
    > --rbconfig=path rbconfig.rb to load [running ruby's]
    >
    > Options for INSTALL:
    > --no-harm only display what to do if given [off]

    In that case you can put comment on line that installs documentation
    in post-install.rb (install_rdoc) before you call setup.rb.
    dima, Aug 5, 2007
  10. Sy Ali

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Aug 4, 2007, at 10:09, Sy Ali wrote:

    > On 8/4/07, Ben Bleything <> wrote:
    >> On Sat, Aug 04, 2007, Sy Ali wrote:
    >>> I see no way to build rubygems without documentation. I checked the
    >>> --help listing and ri and rdoc are not mentioned.

    >> Try gem help install. In there, you'll see --no-rdoc and --no-ri.

    > No, I mean "RubyGems" _itself_
    >
    > I use "ruby setup.rb --help" and I see no options to not install rdoc
    > or ri. I already tried those switches. =)

    Not possible yet:

    http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?
    func=detail&aid=8450&group_id=126&atid=575

    I think I'm going to rip out setup.rb and replace it with something
    small and simple. It shouldn't take 1500 lines of code to install
    something.

    Eric Hodel, Aug 5, 2007
  11. Sy Ali

    Sy Ali Guest

    On 8/5/07, dima <> wrote:
    > In that case you can put comment on line that installs documentation
    > in post-install.rb (install_rdoc) before you call setup.rb.

    Thank you. This sounds promising. =)
    Sy Ali, Aug 5, 2007
  12. Sy Ali

    Sy Ali Guest

    On 8/5/07, Eric Hodel <> wrote:
    > I think I'm going to rip out setup.rb and replace it with something
    > small and simple. It shouldn't take 1500 lines of code to install
    > something.

    =)
    Sy Ali, Aug 5, 2007
  13. Sy Ali wrote:
    > On 8/5/07, Eric Hodel <> wrote:
    >> I think I'm going to rip out setup.rb and replace it with something
    >> small and simple. It shouldn't take 1500 lines of code to install
    >> something.

    > =)

    You're right ... and it shouldn't take a minute on a 2.2 GHz Athlon64 X2
    to *configure* a package either, but it does.
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Aug 5, 2007