building rubygems without documentation

Sy Ali

I see no way to build rubygems without documentation. I checked the
--help listing and ri and rdoc are not mentioned.

I'm re-building rubygems on my zaurus again (because I updated ruby)
and it's taking forever to get through the ri and rdoc for gems. I
won't use these, so I'd like to not install them.

Ideas?

Ben Bleything

I see no way to build rubygems without documentation. I checked the
--help listing and ri and rdoc are not mentioned.

Try gem help install. In there, you'll see --no-rdoc and --no-ri.

Ben

Trans

Try gem help install. In there, you'll see --no-rdoc and --no-ri.

Why are rdoc installed by default anyway? I have never used the rdocs
installed on my system. I always go to the internet for this
information.

Now ri, is another matter. That's great to have on hand. However my --
site option doesn't work, which makes me wonder, where are ri docs
supposed to be stored in site_ruby so that ri can find them?

T.

Ben Bleything

Why are rdoc installed by default anyway? I have never used the rdocs
installed on my system. I always go to the internet for this
information.

I use them all the time... there are a buncha libraries that don't post
their api docs online, or their docs are out of sync with the version
I've installed, or I'm away from internet access.
Now ri, is another matter. That's great to have on hand. However my --
site option doesn't work, which makes me wonder, where are ri docs
supposed to be stored in site_ruby so that ri can find them?

No idea :)

Ben

Sy Ali

Try gem help install. In there, you'll see --no-rdoc and --no-ri.

No, I mean "RubyGems" _itself_

I use "ruby setup.rb --help" and I see no options to not install rdoc
or ri. I already tried those switches. =)

Ben Bleything

No, I mean "RubyGems" _itself_

Ah. Sorry about that, when you said "ri and rdoc for gems", I assumed
you meant when installing actual gems.
I use "ruby setup.rb --help" and I see no options to not install rdoc
or ri. I already tried those switches. =)

Sorry, can't help you :)

Ben

dima

Ah. Sorry about that, when you said "ri and rdoc for gems", I assumed
you meant when installing actual gems.

Sorry, can't help you :)

Ben

If I understand the initial question right you do not want to install
gems documentation since you are already using an on-line version of
it.

This could be answer to your question. Take the closer look to -no-
rdoc and -no-ri switch on install command.

E:\>gem help install
Usage: gem install GEMNAME [options]
or: gem install GEMNAME [options] -- --build-flags [options]

-v, --version VERSION Specify version of gem to install
-l, --local Restrict operations to the LOCAL
domain
-r, --remote Restrict operations to the REMOTE
domain
-b, --both Allow LOCAL and REMOTE operations
-i, --install-dir DIR Gem repository directory to get
installed
gems.
-d, --[no-]rdoc Generate RDoc documentation for
the gem on
install
--[no-]ri Generate RI documentation for the
gem on
install
-E, --env-shebang Rewrite the shebang line on
installed
scripts to use /usr/bin/env
-f, --[no-]force Force gem to install, bypassing
dependency
checks
-t, --[no-]test Run unit tests prior to
installation
-w, --[no-]wrappers Use bin wrappers for executables
Not available on dosish platforms
-P, --trust-policy POLICY Specify gem trust policy.
--ignore-dependencies Do not install any required
dependent gems
-y, --include-dependencies Unconditionally install the
required
dependent gems

Common Options:
--source URL Use URL as the remote source for
gems
-p, --[no-]http-proxy Use HTTP proxy for remote
operations
-h, --help Get help on this command
--config-file FILE Use this config file instead of
default
--backtrace Show stack backtrace on errors
--debug Turn on Ruby debugging

Arguments:
GEMNAME name of gem to install

Defaults:
--both --version '> 0' --rdoc --ri --no-force --no-test
--install-dir c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8

Sy Ali

If I understand the initial question right you do not want to install
gems documentation since you are already using an on-line version of
it.

You half-understand. I don't want to install the documentation for
the "RubyGems" application itself. I am not talking about using the
'gem' program to install a gem without documentation.

For example, trying to install rubygems-0.9.4 itself, like this, I see
no way to avoid installing documentation. I wonder if I can force a
path for documentation installation to /dev/null or something simple.
=)

$ ruby setup.rb --help
Typical Installation Procedure:
$ ruby setup.rb config
$ ruby setup.rb setup
# ruby setup.rb install (may require root privilege)

Detailed Usage:
ruby setup.rb <global option>

Global options:
-q,--quiet suppress message outputs
--verbose output messages verbosely
--help print this message
--version print version and quit
--copyright print copyright and quit

Tasks:
all do config, setup, then install
config saves your configurations
show shows current configuration
setup compiles ruby extentions and others
install installs files
test run all tests in test/
clean does `make clean' for each extention
distclean does `make distclean' for each extention

Options for CONFIG or ALL:
--installdirs=std/site/home std: install under libruby; site:
install under site_ruby; home: install under $HOME []
--prefix=path path prefix of target environment [/usr]
--bindir=path the directory for commands [$prefix/bin]
--libdir=path the directory for libraries [$prefix/lib]
--datadir=path the directory for shared data [$prefix/share]
--mandir=path the directory for man pages [$prefix/share/man]
--sysconfdir=path the directory for system configuration files [/etc]
--localstatedir=path the directory for local state data [/var/lib]
--libruby=path the directory for ruby libraries [/usr/lib/ruby]
--librubyver=path the directory for standard ruby libraries
[/usr/lib/ruby/1.8]
--librubyverarch=path the directory for standard ruby extensions
[/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i586-linux-gnu]
--siteruby=path the directory for version-independent aux
ruby libraries [/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby]
--siterubyver=path the directory for aux ruby libraries
[/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8]
--siterubyverarch=path the directory for aux ruby binaries
[/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i586-linux-gnu]
--rbdir=path the directory for ruby scripts [$siterubyver]
--sodir=path the directory for ruby extentions [$siterubyverarch]
--rubypath=path the path to set to #! line [/usr/bin/ruby]
--rubyprog=name the ruby program using for installation
[/usr/bin/ruby]
--makeprog=name the make program to compile ruby extentions [make]
--shebang=all/ruby/never shebang line (#!) editing mode [ruby]
--without-ext does not compile/install ruby extentions [no]
--rbconfig=path rbconfig.rb to load [running ruby's]

Options for INSTALL:
--no-harm only display what to do if given [off]
--prefix=path install path prefix []

dima

[...]

In that case you can put comment on line that installs documentation
in post-install.rb (install_rdoc) before you call setup.rb.

Eric Hodel

No, I mean "RubyGems" _itself_

I use "ruby setup.rb --help" and I see no options to not install rdoc
or ri. I already tried those switches. =)

Not possible yet:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=8450&group_id=126&atid=575

I think I'm going to rip out setup.rb and replace it with something
small and simple. It shouldn't take 1500 lines of code to install
something.

Sy Ali

In that case you can put comment on line that installs documentation
in post-install.rb (install_rdoc) before you call setup.rb.

Thank you. This sounds promising. =)