Building the project directly to live web server, security?

David Lozzi

I'm doing an app and am building and saving the project directly to the live production web server. Are there security issues with this? The vbproj files are saved there along with the codebehinds. If this is an issue, what's the best practice?

Thanks,

Scott Allen

The project and code files don't need to be on the server, so they
could only present more of a risk by being there. IMHO it is only a
small risk. ASP.NET will prevent web requests from fetching these
files.

You'll have to weigh the benefits of having the files on the server
versus the risk of someone reading your code. Do they serve as a
backup by being on the server?

David Lozzi

They're on the server because I do not know any other way to do this. I
would have no problem keeping it all on my development server and then just
push out the necessary files, but how does that work with VS.NET?

Thanks

Scott Allen

Are you doing a Project -> Copy Project from the VS.NET menu? If so,
there is an option to 'only deploy files needed to run the
application', and the IDE won't copy over source files.

The caveat is that the web server will need Front Page Extensions
installed and running. Some people really hate FPE and won't enable it
on a server.

David Lozzi

Ah, thats how I get the over there.... excellent! Thank you!

I don't mind FPE, it only helps!