built with --enable-shared but get error: libpython2.3.so.1.0: can't open shared object file

Douglass Turner

Hi,

Please release me from my own private hell.

Platform: SuSE 8.1

I'm installing python 2.3 tarball as follows:

../configure --enable-shared
make
make install

When I simply type:

% python

I get:

python: error while loading shared libraries: libpython2.3.so.1.0:

This is really, really, frustrating. The file does in fact live in
/usr/local/lib. Interestingly this is outside PYTHONHOME. How do I fix
this silly problem (which the python install process should *never*
let happen in the first place).

-Doug

Michael Hudson

Please release me from my own private hell.

OK, just install the non-shared library build.
Platform: SuSE 8.1

I'm installing python 2.3 tarball as follows:

./configure --enable-shared
make
make install

When I simply type:

% python

I get:

python: error while loading shared libraries: libpython2.3.so.1.0:

This is really, really, frustrating. The file does in fact live in
/usr/local/lib.

Is that in /etc/ld.so.conf? Maybe you should set LD_LIBRARY_RUN_PATH
(or whatever it's called).
Interestingly this is outside PYTHONHOME. How do I fix this silly
problem (which the python install process should *never* let happen
in the first place).

Unclear what Python can do. If you want to install a shared library
somewhere that the system doesn't look for it by default, you have to
do something to get it to look there. I guess there's probably some
way of putting an absolute path in the executable, but that leads to
its own form of entertainment (like, I would imagine, not being able
to run the interpreter until you install it).

Cheers,
mwh

Manfred Bartz

python: error while loading shared libraries: libpython2.3.so.1.0:

This is really, really, frustrating. The file does in fact live in
/usr/local/lib. ...

Try running

/sbin/ldconfig -v | less

it should list libpython2.3.so.1.0 and starting python should now
automagically load the shared library.