    in an Access Database, can this be achieved using ASP and
    maybe an emailing component? Any other resources?

    Thanks

    James Thompson, Dec 19, 2003

  2. James Thompson

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 10:37:31 -0800, "James Thompson"
    <> wrote:

    >I need to send out about 800 emails from addresses stored
    >in an Access Database, can this be achieved using ASP and
    >maybe an emailing component?

    Sure. Though it's not the ideal method.

    > Any other resources?

    There are a bazillion bulk mailing programs out there, Google and take
    your pick.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Dec 19, 2003

  3. James Thompson

    Ray at Guest

    For the hell of, I just ran a quick test on CDO vs. FSO for generating
    e-mails, and this is what I got. I ran it a number of times, and the
    difference between the two numbers was fairly consistent.

    Sending 10,000 e-mails per object

    CDO: 33.50781 seconds
    FSO: 7.914063 seconds

    Ray at home

    Ray at, Dec 20, 2003
  4. James Thompson

    UncleWobbly Guest

    a subject close to my heart at the moment - I have to send alert emails from
    an application I develop for my company and have found CDO a bit
    "sluggish" - care to post your FSO solution?

    best regards

    UncleWobbly, Dec 20, 2003
  5. James Thompson

    UncleWobbly Guest

    ah, OK, the FSO hasn't got any magic here - thanks for this.

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > I read recently that it's better to create emails outside the SMTP Pickup
    > folder and then move them in, otherwise the SMTP service will attempt to
    > read the file immediately - if it's locked by the creating application

    this

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/iis/iis4/deploy/confeat/mail.asp

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/e...ing_or_posting_using_the_pickup_directory.asp

    UncleWobbly, Dec 20, 2003
  6. James Thompson

    Ray at Guest

    This is the basicest of a ".eml" file, but like so: (I stopped the smtp
    service while doing this 10,000 times...)

    Sub GenerateByFSO(NumberOfMessages)
    Dim i
    Dim oFSO, oFile

    Set oFSO = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    For i = 1 To NumberOfMessages
    Set oFile = oFSO.CreateTextFile("C:\Inetpub\mailroot\pickup\msg" & CStr(i)
    & ".eml")
    oFile.WriteLine "X-Receiver: "
    oFile.WriteLine "X-Sender: "
    oFile.WriteLine "To: <>"
    oFile.WriteLine "Subject: Test FSO"
    oFile.WriteLine vbCrLf
    oFile.WriteLine "Test e-mail FSO"
    oFile.Close
    Set oFile = Nothing
    Next
    End Sub

    It would have been a bit speedier (I'd imagine) to generate on string with
    vbCrLfs and then doing only one .write on the file.

    Ray at home

    Ray at, Dec 21, 2003
  7. James Thompson

    Paul Guest

    Paul, Dec 21, 2003
  8. James Thompson

    UncleWobbly Guest

    Yeash, thanks for this Ray. When you said you'd done it with FSO I thought
    you had some method for FSO I had not encountered for dealing with mail but
    I understand now - not enough vision on my part in reading your original
    post here... Thanks anyway.

    UncleWobbly, Dec 21, 2003