    like to include a bulletin board on it. Is there any free easy to use
    bulleting board code or software that I can use?

    Thanks

    Lori, Dec 30, 2003

  2. Lori

    Richard Guest

    Lori wrote:

    > I am an amateur web desinger and recently remodeled my website. I would
    > like to include a bulletin board on it. Is there any free easy to use
    > bulleting board code or software that I can use?

    > Thanks

    www.phpbb.com

    Easy to set up and maintain.

    Richard, Dec 30, 2003

  3. Lori

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Dec 30, 2003
  4. Lori

    Steve R. Guest

    Lori wrote in message ...
    > Is there any free easy to use bulletin board software that I can use?

    The best free forum software if your sever will accept PHP is phpBB2 boards
    downloadable for free which you can install and manage yourself from
    http://www.phpbb.com/
    Here's a working example at http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=1

    If you don't want that, but just a simple already hosted forum, with a few
    small ads then use Proboards at http://proboards.com here's a working
    example at http://support.proboards.com/

    Hope that's a help.

    Steve.

    Steve R., Dec 30, 2003
  5. Lori

    PW Guest

    "Lori" <> wrote in message
    > I am an amateur web desinger and recently remodeled my website. I would
    > like to include a bulletin board on it. Is there any free easy to use
    > bulleting board code or software that I can use?

    If a guest book or message board will do what you want, you could try
    "ASPBoard". Its free, but you need to be running a web server. Heres the
    readme file ...

    HTH,
    Paul

    ------------------

    aspBoard 1.0
    Message Board Component for ASP Internet Applications
    aspBoard 1.0 is a product of FreezingCold Software
    Makers of CommandoPro software - Industrial strength
    search engine submisison tool:
    http://www.commandopro.com

    Additional Information can be found on our website:
    http://www.FreezingCold.com

    Installation Instructions:
    Copy all files to your website's root directory.
    If you are working with Visual InterDev you may also
    need to manually add them to the current project.
    You can later move the files wherever you want.

    Customization Instructions:

    The only file you will want to modify is aspBoardData.asp.
    The most important variable is abDBPath. This variable
    will be used by the webserver to map the correct path
    of the database. By default, the database will reside
    in the root directory along with the rest of the aspBoard
    files. Therefore, you do not need to change this value.

    If you need to use MS Access 97, there is a file included:
    aspboard97.mdb - just delete the other database and rename
    this one to aspboard.mdb

    Contact:

    PW, Dec 31, 2003
  6. PW wrote:
    > If a guest book or message board will do what you want, you could try
    > "ASPBoard". Its free, but you need to be running a web server. Heres the
    > readme file ...

    Of course you don't need to run your own web server to use ASPBoard.
    Where did you get that idea? What you do need is an IIS server.

    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 31, 2003
  7. Lori

    Spartanicus Guest

    Lori wrote:

    >I am an amateur web desinger and recently remodeled my website. I would
    >like to include a bulletin board on it. Is there any free easy to use
    >bulleting board code or software that I can use?

    You could also consider setting up a list at Yahoo Groups, this requires
    little work and has some added advantages like the ability to use it
    with the web interface or as a mailing list.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Dec 31, 2003
  8. PW wrote:

    > but you need to be running a web server.

    If you want a web site, then you generally do need to have a web server.
    An FTP server could potentially do the job in some cases.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Dec 31, 2003
  9. Lori

    PW Guest

    "Leif K-Brooks" <> wrote in message
    > Of course you don't need to run your own web server to use ASPBoard.
    > Where did you get that idea? What you do need is an IIS server.

    Isn't IIS a web server ?

    PW, Jan 1, 2004
  10. PW wrote:
    > "Leif K-Brooks" <> wrote in message
    >> Of course you don't need to run your own web server to use ASPBoard.
    >> Where did you get that idea? What you do need is an IIS server.

    > Isn't IIS a web server ?

    of course it is. seems you failed to notice Leif had tongue planted firmly
    in cheek. your choices are:

    o Move on and ignore it.
    o See it as a challenge to your very being and initiate a nuclear strike

    Happy New Year.
    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Jan 1, 2004
  11. Lori

    PW Guest

    "William Tasso" <> wrote in message

    > o Move on and ignore it.
    > o See it as a challenge to your very being and initiate a nuclear strike

    LOL! I think I'll take option 3, and admit I was sucked in by curiosity.

    Happy New Year.

    PW

    PW, Jan 2, 2004
  12. PW wrote:
    >>Of course you don't need to run your own web server to use ASPBoard.
    >>Where did you get that idea? What you do need is an IIS server.

    > Isn't IIS a web server ?

    Yes. I said you "don't need to *run your own* web server". You do need
    to have access to a web server.

    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 2, 2004
  13. In article <QOLIb.72238$>,
    "PW" <> wrote:

    > "Leif K-Brooks" <> wrote in message
    > > Of course you don't need to run your own web server to use ASPBoard.
    > > Where did you get that idea? What you do need is an IIS server.

    > Isn't IIS a web server ?

    It purports to be. I remain skeptical.

    --
    | Andrew Glasgow <amg39(at)cornell.edu> |
    | "This site was constructed with FrontPage. We regret any inconvenience and |

    Andrew Glasgow, Jan 2, 2004