    accessability?

    Any comments or links much appreciated....

    CanBeara

    Canbeara, Dec 13, 2004

  2. Canbeara wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm in the early stages of planning a user-interactive bulletin board,
    > where
    > members can log on and begin discussion threads. Because the content of
    > the site is an important issue (ie that search engines be able to find
    > it), can anyone tell me if bulletin boards (ie, the open source type that
    > are often included in web hosting packages, like B2, or PHPBB, etc) are
    > actually "searchable" by search engines?

    You can make the forums public or make them accessible (and readable) only
    to members.

    > Any advice on bulletin board infrastructure to ensure search-engine
    > accessability?

    Hold on. Do you want to _hide_ information or _share_ it with search
    engines? If the latter, you just need to look into search engine
    optimisation... the usual stuff... links, structure...

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Dec 13, 2004

  3. Canbeara

    Canbeara Guest

    > You can make the forums public or make them accessible (and readable) only
    > to members.
    >
    >> Any advice on bulletin board infrastructure to ensure search-engine
    >> accessability?

    > Hold on. Do you want to _hide_ information or _share_ it with search
    > engines? If the latter, you just need to look into search engine
    > optimisation... the usual stuff... links, structure...

    Hi Roy,

    Yes, I want both the public to access the posts and search engines as well.
    My only concern is that if entries are stored by PHP or Perl in a database
    and pages are rendered "on the fly" that search engines would have no access
    to the data. I do want search engines to index all the entries and I want
    all entries to be publicly accessible as well. Just not sure where SSI
    stuff is prohibitive to SE access.

    CanBeara

    Canbeara, Dec 13, 2004
  4. Canbeara

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Canbeara" <>
    writing in news:ARdvd.25464$eb3.20768@clgrps13:

    >> You can make the forums public or make them accessible (and readable)
    >> only to members.
    >>
    >>> Any advice on bulletin board infrastructure to ensure search-engine
    >>> accessability?

    >> Hold on. Do you want to _hide_ information or _share_ it with search
    >> engines? If the latter, you just need to look into search engine
    >> optimisation... the usual stuff... links, structure...

    > I do want search engines to index all the
    > entries and I want all entries to be publicly accessible as well. Just
    > not sure where SSI stuff is prohibitive to SE access.

    SSI or other server side includes are indexed by search engines just like
    static pages, because the search engine gets the same HTML that humans get
    (unless there is some nasty browser sniffing going on).

    --
    Adrienne Boswell

    Adrienne, Dec 13, 2004
  5. Canbeara

    Richard Guest

    Canbeara wrote:

    > Hello,

    > I'm in the early stages of planning a user-interactive bulletin board,
    > where members can log on and begin discussion threads. Because the
    > content of the site is an important issue (ie that search engines be able
    > to find it), can anyone tell me if bulletin boards (ie, the open source
    > type that are often included in web hosting packages, like B2, or PHPBB,
    > etc) are actually "searchable" by search engines?

    > Any advice on bulletin board infrastructure to ensure search-engine
    > accessability?

    > Any comments or links much appreciated....

    > CanBeara

    Some hosts include PHPBB with cpanel.
    If they don't ask if they will it to be installed.
    Search engines will access them.

    Richard, Dec 13, 2004