bunding options

Discussion in 'Python' started by msoulier, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. msoulier

    msoulier Guest

    I work at home on Linux desktops, but would like to bundle a
    Python/wxPython application for Windows desktops, Linux desktops, etc.
    I am currently using py2exe to distribute a zipfile that is then usable
    by anyone on win32.

    On Linux, a source tarball is available, and the users can sync up with
    the various versions of tools that I used (python, wxpython, sqlite,
    pysqlite, etc) to run the code, but considering that Python moves so
    fast and drops backwards compatibility so fast, what is available on
    the Linux desktops is not recent enough.

    I would like to be able to compile a Linux version for distribution as
    well, perhaps a Mac OSX version too.

    If I used Java I could distribute an executable jar file and require
    the JRE >= someversion to be installed, and my work would be done.

    What options do I have with Python? Can I take an existing app and
    generate C code with freeze.py, and build it?

    I'm having a hard time arguing against Java with my coworkers due some
    of these distribution issues. py2exe saved me on Windows, although it
    does require a win32 build host, and I work on Linux.

    Suggestions appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Mike
    msoulier, Feb 22, 2006