bunding options

msoulier

I work at home on Linux desktops, but would like to bundle a
Python/wxPython application for Windows desktops, Linux desktops, etc.
I am currently using py2exe to distribute a zipfile that is then usable
by anyone on win32.

On Linux, a source tarball is available, and the users can sync up with
the various versions of tools that I used (python, wxpython, sqlite,
pysqlite, etc) to run the code, but considering that Python moves so
fast and drops backwards compatibility so fast, what is available on
the Linux desktops is not recent enough.

I would like to be able to compile a Linux version for distribution as
well, perhaps a Mac OSX version too.

If I used Java I could distribute an executable jar file and require
the JRE >= someversion to be installed, and my work would be done.

What options do I have with Python? Can I take an existing app and
generate C code with freeze.py, and build it?

I'm having a hard time arguing against Java with my coworkers due some
of these distribution issues. py2exe saved me on Windows, although it
does require a win32 build host, and I work on Linux.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike