burn files to DVD with Java

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Nov 5, 2011.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    Since circa 1982, I have tried dozens of back up utilities and
    utilities that claim they will let you burn files/backup to DVDs (or
    other media) from collections of files.

    The typical problems they have are:

    1. bugs (Nero)

    2. cannot work unattended. You must prod them along every step of the
    way.

    3. They want you to specify the files with a GUI. I want to run this
    unattended.

    4. The list of files to backup is not smart enough to deal with new
    files or deleted files if you reuse the list.

    5. They are dead slow. I would like to produce a disc-at-once.

    6. proprietary formats that put the restore process in danger.

    I have already written a front end to a backup utility that maintains
    a zipped mirror of the files you want to back up called BackupToZip.

    Perhaps I could finish it off with Java code to do the burn. I did
    not see anything in a cursory google search. My own entry was at the
    top of the list -- not much help. Has anyone ever heard of a Java
    library for burning DVDs?

    Failing that a script/file driven utility available for a suitable
    number of Java platforms that could be exec ed to do the work.

    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    Roedy Green, Nov 5, 2011

  2. Roedy Green <> wrote:
    > Perhaps I could finish it off with Java code to do the burn. I did
    > not see anything in a cursory google search. My own entry was at the
    > top of the list -- not much help. Has anyone ever heard of a Java
    > library for burning DVDs?

    I doubt, you'll find a pure-Java library, but if a separate executable
    written in C (or C++, not sure) is acceptable, then perhaps Jörg Schilling's
    "cdrecord" might serve you. I'd expect it to be available also for windows.
    You could then write a Java library to start that other program for the
    actual work. ... or maybe even that already exists...

    PS: cdrecord is supposed to be very portable.

    Andreas Leitgeb, Nov 5, 2011

  3. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 11/5/2011 10:29 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
    > Since circa 1982, I have tried dozens of back up utilities and
    > utilities that claim they will let you burn files/backup to DVDs (or
    > other media) from collections of files.
    >
    > The typical problems they have are:
    >
    > 1. bugs (Nero)
    >
    > 2. cannot work unattended. You must prod them along every step of the
    > way.
    >
    > 3. They want you to specify the files with a GUI. I want to run this
    > unattended.
    >
    > 4. The list of files to backup is not smart enough to deal with new
    > files or deleted files if you reuse the list.
    >
    > 5. They are dead slow. I would like to produce a disc-at-once.
    >
    > 6. proprietary formats that put the restore process in danger.
    >
    > I have already written a front end to a backup utility that maintains
    > a zipped mirror of the files you want to back up called BackupToZip.
    >
    > Perhaps I could finish it off with Java code to do the burn. I did
    > not see anything in a cursory google search. My own entry was at the
    > top of the list -- not much help. Has anyone ever heard of a Java
    > library for burning DVDs?
    >
    > Failing that a script/file driven utility available for a suitable
    > number of Java platforms that could be exec ed to do the work.

    First: burning DVD's seems to be the mid-00's way - you should look
    at an online solution today - and Java is perfect for that.

    If you insist on using DVD's then I can see 3 roads forward
    with Java:
    A) find an open source burner software and call it via JNI
    B) find something that exposes a writable DVD as a writeable
    disk to the OS so you can move files onto it with standard
    Java IO
    C) let Java copy the files to a staging area and use a native
    tool to burn from that area

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Nov 5, 2011