    I have done a few bus interfaces myself, but due to my lack of experience
    with a FSM I have not their use in the applications.

    Jason
    Jason Berringer, Oct 26, 2004

  2. Jason Berringer

    rickman Guest

    Jason Berringer wrote:

    > A question to all who have written a bus interface. Is a finite state
    > machine the best way to implement a bus interface (e.g. ISA, PCI,
    > uController) or does it matter. I have examined a few and almost everyone is
    > a FSM. I haven't written any FSMs to date and was curious if there was a
    > benefit to using an FSM. Does it reduce the logic needed in the design, or
    > does it allow for a faster design? Any comments are appreciated.
    >
    > I have done a few bus interfaces myself, but due to my lack of experience
    > with a FSM I have not their use in the applications.

    A FSM is just a systematic way to design synchronous control logic. The
    use of bubble diagrams for illustrating the state transitions and the
    outputs generated is very easily grasped and makes good documentation.
    There are tools to design FSMs and if needed, it can be formally
    analyzed. In general, they make for good, clean design. If you have
    never designed one, find a good reference or one of the HDL FAQs and
    read up.

    --

    Rick "rickman" Collins

    removed.

    4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice
    Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
    rickman, Oct 26, 2004

  3. Jason Berringer

    john Guest

    Hello Rick,

    Can you advice me about analyzing tools for the FSM?

    Thanks
    john

    john, Oct 28, 2004
  4. Jason Berringer

    rickman Guest

    If you mean computer programs, then no. I know of tools for designing
    FSMs. But by analysis, I mean the methods I learned in college for
    formally proving things like the functional equivalence of two different
    machines and how to detect states that can be merged, etc.

    I believe the book was, "Switching and Finite Automata Theory" by Zvi
    Kohavi. It was pretty good for a text book teaching theory. It gave me
    a very sound base for understanding FSM and related logic. But it was
    not a practically oriented book. To just learn how to "get it done" I
    am sure there are many better.

    rickman, Oct 29, 2004
  5. john wrote:

    > Can you advice me about analyzing tools for the FSM?

    I use modelsim.

    In vhdl, the synchronous process covers the
    textbook state machine model, but this is a small
    subset of the possible controllers that
    you can model, test and synthesize.

    -- Mike Treseler
    Mike Treseler, Oct 30, 2004