Business object from referenced dll soesn't show in Website Data S

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Paul S, Jun 1, 2008.

  1. Paul S

    Paul S Guest

    Hi
    I have created a collection of business objects in a seperate dll, which I
    have then added to my web project. However it does not show up in list of
    Website Data Sources.

    I need to Data Source to be able to design my Report (MS Reporting)

    I have added a ObjectDataSource to a page

    <asp:ObjectDataSource ID="ObjectDataSource3" runat="server"
    SelectMethod="GetWinners"
    TypeName="GolfStore.Bll.MensSection.PinCollection">
    <SelectParameters>
    <asp:parameter Name="EventId" Type="Int32" />
    </SelectParameters>
    </asp:ObjectDataSource>

    and calls a stored proc in the database via the GetWinners method - it works
    - I've checked it using the SQL Profiler.

    What do I have to do to make my collection show up in the Website Data
    Source list.

    Paul S, Jun 1, 2008

  2. Paul S

    Andy B Guest

    If your using visual studio 2008 or 2005, you need to uncheck the box in the
    ObjectDataSources "Choose your business object" window that says to only
    show data objects. I forget what exactly the text on the checkbox is, but
    you would know it when you saw it. If you uncheck the box, then all objects
    in the project and its dependencies will show up in the drop down. The other
    alternative is to use custom attributes (between [] just above the class).
    www.asp.net/leearn has a good data access tutorial series that explains how
    this works with data sources and how to set it up right. I go back to them a
    lot when I need a little help here and there too.

    Andy B, Jun 2, 2008

  3. Paul S

    Paul S Guest

    Re: Business object from referenced dll soesn't show in Website Da

    Hi Andy

    What you describe is how to configure ObjectdataSource and that works fine,
    but my problem is when I open a report in the designer I get a list of
    Website DataSource displayed next to the designer - that where I would like
    to see my BusinessCollection. I have seen the tutorials you're talking about
    and taht also works fine for me. The difference is that the code is a part of
    the web project. I have the code in a seperate solution, which i compile into
    a dll. I my web project I reference this dll.

    Thanks
    Paul S

    Paul S, Jun 2, 2008
  4. Paul S

    Ryan Guest

    Re: Business object from referenced dll soesn't show in Website Da

    Hi Paul

    Did you ever find a solution to this problem, I am having the same issue.

    Thanks

    Ryan

    Ryan, Jul 8, 2008