    created in the postbaclk event and not the CreateChildControls method - and
    if so how do I fix this.

    Jim
    =?Utf-8?B?SmltbXkgSmF6eg==?=, Dec 20, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SmltbXkgSmF6eg==?=

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Jim:
    The entire state of the page needs to be created when a button is clicked.
    So when you press a delete button, you need to make sure that whatever
    controls were loaded when a alphabet-button was clicked are loaded.

    My guess is that the delete button isn't re-created on postback, so the
    event never fires. A typical way to solve this is to store some info in the
    viewstate. Here's some pseudocode:

    sub AlphabetButton_click(...)
    LoadYourTerms(e.CommandArgument)
    ViewState.Add("Letter", e.CommandArgument)
    end sub

    sub page_load(...)
    'IF we are posting back AND there's a letter stored in the viewstate
    if Page.IsPostBack AndAlso not ViewState("Letter") is nothing then
    LoadYourTerms(ViewState("Letter"))
    end if
    end sub

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    http://www.openmymind.net/

    Karl Seguin, Dec 20, 2005

  3. Hi Karl,
    I cannot load up the terms, in the control I created the letter selected is
    not know until the

    AlphabetButton_Click(...)

    and all the controls have been written by then

    Jim

    =?Utf-8?B?SmltbXkgSmF6eg==?=, Dec 20, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SmltbXkgSmF6eg==?=

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Not sure I understand.

    There are a bunch of letters
    User clicks one
    There are a bunch of terms
    User clicks one
    Term is deleted

    If you look at my example, every time a letter is clicked, that value is
    stored in the viewstate. Your problem is that when a term is clicked, the
    letter isn't reloaded, hence the term isn't deleted. In my example, the
    value from the viewstate is read during Page_Load and the page is returned
    to it's previous state.

    Karl

    Karl Seguin, Dec 20, 2005
  5. Hi Karl,

    No not quiet, The control loads on CreateChildControls the alphabet buttons
    are created with a ConnandEventHandler connected. Whan a user presses a
    letter I use Viewstate to record the letter then show the terms and buttons
    next to them with a ConnandEventHandler connected. When a delete button is
    pressed it posts back but does not go into the EventHandler where the delete
    functionality is held. Thas the problem

    Jim

    =?Utf-8?B?SmltbXkgSmF6eg==?=, Dec 20, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?SmltbXkgSmF6eg==?=

    Karl Seguin Guest

    I understand the problem. The reason the eventHandler is never executed, is
    because the delete button no longer exists. The only way to make it exist
    is to recreate it. To recreate it, you must simulate the
    CommandEventHandler being clicked.

    Karl

    Karl Seguin, Dec 20, 2005
  7. Hi Karl,

    Thanks for all your hel;p but how do you do that?

    Jim

    =?Utf-8?B?SmltbXkgSmF6eg==?=, Dec 20, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?SmltbXkgSmF6eg==?=

    Karl Seguin Guest

    I still think my code is the right way to go.

    As an alternative, you can look at Denis Bauer's free dynamic placeholder
    control:
    http://www.denisbauer.com/ASPNETControls/DynamicControlsPlaceholder.aspx

    Karl

    Karl Seguin, Dec 20, 2005