Button in user control becomes disabled

Guest

I am trying to simulate multiple web pages by putting the content within
panel controls, and then changing the visibility as needed:

panel1.Visible = False
panel2.Visible = True

In panel1, there is a user control with a textbox and submit button. After
entering text and clicking the button, a custom event is fired that causes
the textbox data to be used in an SQL query in the 2nd control in panel2.
Panel2 then shows the results returned by the query.

From panel2, the user should be able to use the textbox and submit button
again to place a new value in the query, but the button seems to be disabled.
I can see the button being "pressed", but nothing happens - no "click" sound
or anything. What could this be? Thanks for the help!