Button not firing - and strange message

Mark

Hi - I have a really strange problem - straight forward login code (on
the event of a button press).

Works perfectly locally - but when I upload to my host, I get the
message and stack shown below.

If I take out the 'Handles btnLogin.Click' - then it doesn't fire the
btnClick routine - BUT - the page will display on my host (albeit it
won't do anything when I press the button)? I'd really appreciate some
help with this.

(in my login.aspx.vb page):

Private Sub btnLogin_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles btnLogin.Click
If checkUserExists(tbAccess_Name.Text, tbAccess_Password.Text)
Then
Response.Redirect("admin.aspx")
Else
lbMessage.Text = "Username or password not found - please
try again"
End If
End Sub

Error message on host if I leave in 'Handles btnLogin.Click':

Length cannot be less than zero. Parameter name: length

Exception Details: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Length cannot be
less than zero. Parameter name: length

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current
web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Length cannot be less than zero.
Parameter name: length]
System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length) +172
System.Web.UI.Util.GetScriptLocation(HttpContext context) +202

System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseValidator.RegisterValidatorCommonScript()
+69
System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseValidator.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +44