Button that allows right click to open in new tab?

Randall Parker

Short of generating my own icons is there a way to get the appearance of a button on
a form but with behavior that is like a regular link?

In particular, I want to be able to right click on a "button" and choose "Open in new
tab" or "Open in new window" (given that the user's browser supports either of these
options).

The handy thing about HTML buttons is that they can have their visible text value set
and then the buttons can have different text on each row in a grid. e.g. "Edit Record
1" or "Edit Record 2". But those HTML buttons do not allow regular text link style
behavior.

So how to get button appearance without generating each icon for each row dynamically
on the server?

Bruce Barker

you are kinda stuck. you could button image, then position text on top, but
you run into sizing issues. you might try a link with a small go image as a
compomise

mylink (go)

or just switch to a real link, buttons are sooo yesterday anyway.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

chris

Off the top of my head I can't remember where I saw the anwswer to
this. It may have been off the links at http://www.csszengarden.com,
however I know there's a CSS2 solution to this, where you can position
text on top of a button image.