Buying Dreamweaver in USA (I live in UK)

cluthz

Hi there,

OK I know this is an HTML group but maybe other UK residents have done the
same. As you may know Dreamweaver in the US is half the price of the UK.

So I want to know if it is worth me buying it from the US? Will I have any
difficulties. The way I see it, it could be feasible that I purchased
something in the US for my laptop and then moved to the UK right?

Anyone else gone to the effort of doing this?

Thanks

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:56:12
GMT cluthz scribed:
Hi there,

OK I know this is an HTML group but maybe other UK residents have done
the same. As you may know Dreamweaver in the US is half the price of
the UK.

So I want to know if it is worth me buying it from the US? Will I have
any difficulties. The way I see it, it could be feasible that I
purchased something in the US for my laptop and then moved to the UK
right?

Nope, can't be legally done. They'd shoot you as a spy, especially if
you're a Tory. One way around this restriction is you could pay a U.S.
citizen to hand-carry the program over for you. Said benefactor will then
stay in a London hotel for a few weeks until making the transfer once the
heat's off. It's a bit of a stretch, but you know how spunky us Yanks are.
Perhaps I could even locate a volunteer if you're interested.

cluthz

Neredbojias said:
Nope, can't be legally done. They'd shoot you as a spy, especially if
you're a Tory. One way around this restriction is you could pay a U.S.
citizen to hand-carry the program over for you. Said benefactor will then
stay in a London hotel for a few weeks until making the transfer once the
heat's off. It's a bit of a stretch, but you know how spunky us Yanks
are.
Perhaps I could even locate a volunteer if you're interested.
Thanks for the offer. I do have someone who could buy it for me thanks. It's
just that I'm worried that I wont be entitled to updates or some other weird
restriction will come into effect. You know the money saved would almost
even pay for the flight.

Or is it just easier for me to bite the bullet and frustratingly the full UK
price.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 12 Aug 2007 18:10:15
GMT cluthz scribed:
Thanks for the offer. I do have someone who could buy it for me
thanks. It's just that I'm worried that I wont be entitled to updates
or some other weird restriction will come into effect. You know the
money saved would almost even pay for the flight.

Or is it just easier for me to bite the bullet and frustratingly the
full UK price.

Seriously, you shouldn't have a problem as long as you're not in a dod-
restricted country. I, personally, don't and never did see the need for
something like Dreamweaver because I preferred learning html "the hard
way" so to speak. It might have taken longer, but at least I knew what I
was doing when I was done. I can virtually guarantee you that I would not
be as good as I am now (-however good that is) had I earlier-on thrown
crutches into the learning curve.

Andy Dingley

So I want to know if it is worth me buying it from the US?

No, because it's not worth you buying it at all (FAQ around here and
in c.i.w.a.h - search)
Will I have any difficulties.

You'll have no support or upgrade path. Bit like buying the UK edition
really.

Bernhard Sturm

Andy said:
You'll have no support or upgrade path. Bit like buying the UK edition
really.

Why would that be the case? Imagine the following scenario: I lived in
the U.S. for a few months, bought the lower-priced Adobe CS2 suite, and
moved back to the U.K., and want to upgrade now to the CS3-suite. How
could Adobe possibly find out, that I am using illegaly their licences?
What would be illegal in such a behaviour?

cheers
Bernhard

cluthz

I like Dreamweaver.
I am a traditional programmer and can do raw HTML, but I find DReamweaver
saves me time. Particualry for PHP editing which is what I do. I get to see
my pages while coding. I think it's great.

I've used someone elses old version (MX) for a while now. It has it's
shortcomings, but I prefer it to using a pure text editor.
I note the collapsable code in the new version looks great. I know of no
other package that lets me easily preview my pages and edit the raw code as
well as having good general HTML handling capabilities.

But do let me know if there is one.

Thanks

rf

cluthz said:
I like Dreamweaver.
I am a traditional programmer and can do raw HTML, but I find DReamweaver
[sic]
saves me time. Particualry for PHP editing which is what I do. I get to
see my pages while coding. I think it's great.

I am a traditional programmer (well, C# these days) and I can do raw HTML
[and CSS].

I have crimzon editor open right here on my middle screen (currently
overlayed with this editor window of course) with the raw source code to the
sites I am currently working on. Well, the raw site as in a couple of
includes to the required home grown CMS and the current "framework" for that
site.

I have a few Windows Explorers open (for heavy duty file manipulation and
FTP access to my hosts, as required) and a couple of other file type
thingies on my screen over there <--

I have a few browsers open on my third screen, over there --> and I do, at
the press of a refresh button, verify that what I have just stated in my
source actually works in these current *actual* browsers.

One of my other computers is pretending to be a web server down there V.

I see no reason to use such restrictive things as Dreamweaver or
<shudder>FrontPage</shudder>. They simply can not do the things I do with a
very simple copy/paste and the odd few keystrokes. And as for the "preview"
function of those things... Har har.

cluthz

Hmmm, Just googled crimzon editor

Looks OK actually. Might give it a go. Still probably will get Dreamweaver,
what can I say. I like it a lot. But I do currently use textpad as well for
certain macro features and a few other things.

crimzon editor looks good though.

Hope it does php well
Note I'm getting it from:
http://www.crimsoneditor.com/
(just in case I happened to have found a spyware version of the software or
something stupid like that).

Travis Newbury

I see no reason to use such restrictive things as Dreamweaver or
<shudder>FrontPage</shudder>. They simply can not do the things I do with a
very simple copy/paste and the odd few keystrokes. And as for the "preview"
function of those things... Har har.

I find DW it to be a very powerful tool. I guess it is just a matter
of what works best for an individual.

rf

Travis Newbury said:
I find DW it to be a very powerful tool. I guess it is just a matter
of what works best for an individual.

True.

I too have fifteen tools in my toolbox. It's just that nowdays I use a
couple of simple knives and forks that do the job rather better than the
expensive swiss army knife that is blunt at one end and not heavy enough at
the other.

In any case, and I say again, DW simply *can not* reproduce what I do with
CE and a few browser instances and the odd FTP client.

For you, perhaps it might work but It is simply not designed for the work I
do.

Bernhard Sturm

Travis said:
I find DW it to be a very powerful tool. I guess it is just a matter
of what works best for an individual.
code-wise ist DW too expensive and too heavy compared to something nice
and smooth like Notepad++.

cheers
bernhard

Andy Dingley

Why would that be the case?

Because UK vendors (major shrinkwrap vendors anyway) rarely regard a
US licence (even if that's itself legal) as qualifying for their
upgrade pricing on a new UK version.

That said, UK vendors are often far less generous anyway on upgrade
pricing for their "official" UK versions, compared to the
corresponding US vendor on US versions. Not to mention "pound per
dollar" pricing that puts a 100% price premium on UK versions of US
products.

David Segall

cluthz said:
Hi there,

OK I know this is an HTML group but maybe other UK residents have done the
same. As you may know Dreamweaver in the US is half the price of the UK.

So I want to know if it is worth me buying it from the US? Will I have any
difficulties. The way I see it, it could be feasible that I purchased
something in the US for my laptop and then moved to the UK right?

Anyone else gone to the effort of doing this?
You _should_ buy it from a U.S. mail order house. Many years ago,
before the restrictive trade practices that are apparently still legal
in the U.K. were prohibited in Australia, I often purchased hardware
and software from the United States. On the only occasion I had a
problem I found that the U.S. consumer protection applied to me and I
received a both a refund of my money _and_ the undelivered goods. Once
the U.S. supplier sends you the product you are entitled to exactly
the same service that a U.S. purchaser would receive and the U.S.
Commercial Service at your nearest U.S. Embassy will help you get it.

If the U.S. supplier refuses to send you the product because they have
been intimidated by Adobe then you should complain to everyone you can
think of and download a trial version and a crack from the Internet.

The only practical problem that I can think of is that the U.S.
version might not include a British English spell checker. Perhaps
someone who has the U.S. version can comment.

cluthz

Bergamot said:
Crimson Editor is indeed a great all-purpose tool (I use it myself), but
if you're looking for something geared more towards web authoring, take
a peek at WeBuilder.
http://www.blumentals.net/webuilder/

It's got some nice features, too.
Now I LIKE the look of that on first glance. Anything that gives me some
visual studio like features (last version I used was 6 but things have moved
on much more now I believe) then gimme gimme gimme.

I'm trying this one now.

cluthz

Bergamot said:
Crimson Editor is indeed a great all-purpose tool (I use it myself), but
if you're looking for something geared more towards web authoring, take
a peek at WeBuilder.
http://www.blumentals.net/webuilder/

Oh my further investigation and htis could be fantastic and a snip at the
price. It has made me realise I need to get PHP installed locally (and
therefore the Windows version).

That did not go too smoothly as it asked me able Apache and this did not
seem to work, but wow, having debugging in my PHP without having to upload
everything first. This could be a real time saver.

I had asked about apps like this before but this could be EXACTLY what I was
looking for.

Hopefully the fact that I'm using an old PHP version 4 and old version of
Mysql (3) on the public server wont cause too many problems. I've never used
PHP5 but hopefully it is backwards compatible.

Looks GREAT (on inital glance).

cluthz

Bergamot said:
Crimson Editor is indeed a great all-purpose tool (I use it myself), but
if you're looking for something geared more towards web authoring, take
a peek at WeBuilder.
http://www.blumentals.net/webuilder/

It's got some nice features, too.

As said I like it so far. So I'm also going to ask about what I've been
looking for a while. A nice Gui based source code management system. I used
to use a command line one years ago and I Want to again. (therefore you
check code out, put it back in, you can easily revert back to old editions
of the code).

I want it to be easy to use but track the code changes I make with the
option to allow multiple users to use it and track who changed what.

Any more good suggestions?