    something in the US for my laptop and then moved to the UK right?

    Anyone else gone to the effort of doing this?

    Thanks
    cluthz, Aug 12, 2007

  2. cluthz

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:56:12
    GMT cluthz scribed:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > OK I know this is an HTML group but maybe other UK residents have done
    > the same. As you may know Dreamweaver in the US is half the price of
    > the UK.
    >
    > So I want to know if it is worth me buying it from the US? Will I have
    > any difficulties. The way I see it, it could be feasible that I
    > purchased something in the US for my laptop and then moved to the UK
    > right?

    Nope, can't be legally done. They'd shoot you as a spy, especially if
    you're a Tory. One way around this restriction is you could pay a U.S.
    citizen to hand-carry the program over for you. Said benefactor will then
    stay in a London hotel for a few weeks until making the transfer once the
    heat's off. It's a bit of a stretch, but you know how spunky us Yanks are.
    Perhaps I could even locate a volunteer if you're interested.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Aug 12, 2007

  3. cluthz

    cluthz Guest

    "Neredbojias" <> wrote in message
    > Nope, can't be legally done. They'd shoot you as a spy, especially if
    > you're a Tory. One way around this restriction is you could pay a U.S.
    > citizen to hand-carry the program over for you. Said benefactor will then
    > stay in a London hotel for a few weeks until making the transfer once the
    > heat's off. It's a bit of a stretch, but you know how spunky us Yanks
    > are.
    > Perhaps I could even locate a volunteer if you're interested.

    Thanks for the offer. I do have someone who could buy it for me thanks. It's
    just that I'm worried that I wont be entitled to updates or some other weird
    restriction will come into effect. You know the money saved would almost
    even pay for the flight.

    Or is it just easier for me to bite the bullet and frustratingly the full UK
    price.
    cluthz, Aug 12, 2007
  4. cluthz

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 12 Aug 2007 18:10:15
    GMT cluthz scribed:

    >> Nope, can't be legally done. They'd shoot you as a spy, especially
    >> if you're a Tory. One way around this restriction is you could pay a
    >> U.S. citizen to hand-carry the program over for you. Said benefactor
    >> will then stay in a London hotel for a few weeks until making the
    >> transfer once the heat's off. It's a bit of a stretch, but you know
    >> how spunky us Yanks are.
    >> Perhaps I could even locate a volunteer if you're interested.
    >>

    > Thanks for the offer. I do have someone who could buy it for me
    > thanks. It's just that I'm worried that I wont be entitled to updates
    > or some other weird restriction will come into effect. You know the
    > money saved would almost even pay for the flight.
    >
    > Or is it just easier for me to bite the bullet and frustratingly the
    > full UK price.

    Seriously, you shouldn't have a problem as long as you're not in a dod-
    restricted country. I, personally, don't and never did see the need for
    something like Dreamweaver because I preferred learning html "the hard
    way" so to speak. It might have taken longer, but at least I knew what I
    was doing when I was done. I can virtually guarantee you that I would not
    be as good as I am now (-however good that is) had I earlier-on thrown
    crutches into the learning curve.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Aug 13, 2007
  5. cluthz

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 12 Aug, 14:56, "cluthz" <> wrote:

    > So I want to know if it is worth me buying it from the US?

    No, because it's not worth you buying it at all (FAQ around here and
    in c.i.w.a.h - search)

    > Will I have any difficulties.

    You'll have no support or upgrade path. Bit like buying the UK edition
    really.
    Andy Dingley, Aug 13, 2007
  6. Andy Dingley wrote:
    > On 12 Aug, 14:56, "cluthz" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Will I have any difficulties.

    > You'll have no support or upgrade path. Bit like buying the UK edition
    > really.

    Why would that be the case? Imagine the following scenario: I lived in
    the U.S. for a few months, bought the lower-priced Adobe CS2 suite, and
    moved back to the U.K., and want to upgrade now to the CS3-suite. How
    could Adobe possibly find out, that I am using illegaly their licences?
    What would be illegal in such a behaviour?

    cheers
    Bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply
    Bernhard Sturm, Aug 13, 2007
  7. cluthz

    cluthz Guest

    I like Dreamweaver.
    I am a traditional programmer and can do raw HTML, but I find DReamweaver
    saves me time. Particualry for PHP editing which is what I do. I get to see
    my pages while coding. I think it's great.

    I've used someone elses old version (MX) for a while now. It has it's
    shortcomings, but I prefer it to using a pure text editor.
    I note the collapsable code in the new version looks great. I know of no
    other package that lets me easily preview my pages and edit the raw code as
    well as having good general HTML handling capabilities.

    But do let me know if there is one.

    Thanks
    cluthz, Aug 13, 2007
  8. cluthz

    rf Guest

    "cluthz" <> wrote in message
    >I like Dreamweaver.
    > I am a traditional programmer and can do raw HTML, but I find DReamweaver
    > [sic]
    > saves me time. Particualry for PHP editing which is what I do. I get to
    > see my pages while coding. I think it's great.

    I am a traditional programmer (well, C# these days) and I can do raw HTML
    [and CSS].

    I have crimzon editor open right here on my middle screen (currently
    overlayed with this editor window of course) with the raw source code to the
    sites I am currently working on. Well, the raw site as in a couple of
    includes to the required home grown CMS and the current "framework" for that
    site.

    I have a few Windows Explorers open (for heavy duty file manipulation and
    FTP access to my hosts, as required) and a couple of other file type
    thingies on my screen over there <--

    I have a few browsers open on my third screen, over there --> and I do, at
    the press of a refresh button, verify that what I have just stated in my
    source actually works in these current *actual* browsers.

    One of my other computers is pretending to be a web server down there V.

    I see no reason to use such restrictive things as Dreamweaver or
    <shudder>FrontPage</shudder>. They simply can not do the things I do with a
    very simple copy/paste and the odd few keystrokes. And as for the "preview"
    function of those things... Har har.

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Aug 13, 2007
  9. cluthz

    cluthz Guest

    Hmmm, Just googled crimzon editor

    Looks OK actually. Might give it a go. Still probably will get Dreamweaver,
    what can I say. I like it a lot. But I do currently use textpad as well for
    certain macro features and a few other things.

    crimzon editor looks good though.

    Hope it does php well
    Note I'm getting it from:
    http://www.crimsoneditor.com/
    (just in case I happened to have found a spyware version of the software or
    something stupid like that).
    cluthz, Aug 13, 2007
  10. On Aug 13, 8:33 am, "rf" <> wrote:
    > I see no reason to use such restrictive things as Dreamweaver or
    > <shudder>FrontPage</shudder>. They simply can not do the things I do with a
    > very simple copy/paste and the odd few keystrokes. And as for the "preview"
    > function of those things... Har har.

    I find DW it to be a very powerful tool. I guess it is just a matter
    of what works best for an individual.
    Travis Newbury, Aug 13, 2007
  11. cluthz

    rf Guest

    "cluthz" <> wrote in message

    > crimzon editor looks good though.
    >
    > Hope it does php well

    Yes. It does (if you mean the colour coding).

    You can even make up you own.

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Aug 13, 2007
  12. cluthz

    rf Guest

    "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 13, 8:33 am, "rf" <> wrote:
    >> I see no reason to use such restrictive things as Dreamweaver or
    >> <shudder>FrontPage</shudder>. They simply can not do the things I do with
    >> very simple copy/paste and the odd few keystrokes. And as for the
    >> "preview"
    >> function of those things... Har har.

    > I find DW it to be a very powerful tool. I guess it is just a matter
    > of what works best for an individual.

    True.

    I too have fifteen tools in my toolbox. It's just that nowdays I use a
    couple of simple knives and forks that do the job rather better than the
    expensive swiss army knife that is blunt at one end and not heavy enough at
    the other.

    In any case, and I say again, DW simply *can not* reproduce what I do with
    CE and a few browser instances and the odd FTP client.

    For you, perhaps it might work but It is simply not designed for the work I
    do.

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Aug 13, 2007
  13. Travis Newbury wrote:
    > On Aug 13, 8:33 am, "rf" <> wrote:
    >> I see no reason to use such restrictive things as Dreamweaver or
    >> <shudder>FrontPage</shudder>. They simply can not do the things I do with a
    >> very simple copy/paste and the odd few keystrokes. And as for the "preview"
    >> function of those things... Har har.

    > I find DW it to be a very powerful tool. I guess it is just a matter
    > of what works best for an individual.

    code-wise ist DW too expensive and too heavy compared to something nice
    and smooth like Notepad++.

    cheers
    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply
    Bernhard Sturm, Aug 13, 2007
  14. cluthz

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 13 Aug, 10:39, Bernhard Sturm <> wrote:

    > > You'll have no support or upgrade path. Bit like buying the UK edition
    > > really.

    > Why would that be the case?

    Because UK vendors (major shrinkwrap vendors anyway) rarely regard a
    US licence (even if that's itself legal) as qualifying for their
    upgrade pricing on a new UK version.

    That said, UK vendors are often far less generous anyway on upgrade
    pricing for their "official" UK versions, compared to the
    corresponding US vendor on US versions. Not to mention "pound per
    dollar" pricing that puts a 100% price premium on UK versions of US
    products.
    Andy Dingley, Aug 13, 2007
  15. cluthz

    Bergamot Guest

    cluthz wrote:

    > crimzon editor looks good though.

    Crimson Editor is indeed a great all-purpose tool (I use it myself), but
    if you're looking for something geared more towards web authoring, take
    a peek at WeBuilder.
    http://www.blumentals.net/webuilder/

    It's got some nice features, too.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Aug 13, 2007
  16. cluthz

    David Segall Guest

    "cluthz" <> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >OK I know this is an HTML group but maybe other UK residents have done the
    >same. As you may know Dreamweaver in the US is half the price of the UK.
    >
    >So I want to know if it is worth me buying it from the US? Will I have any
    >difficulties. The way I see it, it could be feasible that I purchased
    >something in the US for my laptop and then moved to the UK right?
    >
    >Anyone else gone to the effort of doing this?

    You _should_ buy it from a U.S. mail order house. Many years ago,
    before the restrictive trade practices that are apparently still legal
    in the U.K. were prohibited in Australia, I often purchased hardware
    and software from the United States. On the only occasion I had a
    problem I found that the U.S. consumer protection applied to me and I
    received a both a refund of my money _and_ the undelivered goods. Once
    the U.S. supplier sends you the product you are entitled to exactly
    the same service that a U.S. purchaser would receive and the U.S.
    Commercial Service at your nearest U.S. Embassy will help you get it.

    If the U.S. supplier refuses to send you the product because they have
    been intimidated by Adobe then you should complain to everyone you can
    think of and download a trial version and a crack from the Internet.

    The only practical problem that I can think of is that the U.S.
    version might not include a British English spell checker. Perhaps
    someone who has the U.S. version can comment.
    David Segall, Aug 13, 2007
  17. cluthz

    Animesh K Guest

    Bernhard Sturm wrote:
    > Travis Newbury wrote:

    > code-wise ist DW too expensive and too heavy compared to something nice
    > and smooth like Notepad++.

    gvim

    Animesh K, Aug 13, 2007
  18. cluthz

    cluthz Guest

    "Bergamot" <> wrote in message
    > cluthz wrote:
    >>
    >> crimzon editor looks good though.

    > Crimson Editor is indeed a great all-purpose tool (I use it myself), but
    > if you're looking for something geared more towards web authoring, take
    > a peek at WeBuilder.
    > http://www.blumentals.net/webuilder/
    >
    > It's got some nice features, too.

    Now I LIKE the look of that on first glance. Anything that gives me some
    visual studio like features (last version I used was 6 but things have moved
    on much more now I believe) then gimme gimme gimme.

    I'm trying this one now.
    cluthz, Aug 13, 2007
  19. cluthz

    cluthz Guest

    "Bergamot" <> wrote in message
    > Crimson Editor is indeed a great all-purpose tool (I use it myself), but
    > if you're looking for something geared more towards web authoring, take
    > a peek at WeBuilder.
    > http://www.blumentals.net/webuilder/

    Oh my further investigation and htis could be fantastic and a snip at the
    price. It has made me realise I need to get PHP installed locally (and
    therefore the Windows version).

    That did not go too smoothly as it asked me able Apache and this did not
    seem to work, but wow, having debugging in my PHP without having to upload
    everything first. This could be a real time saver.

    I had asked about apps like this before but this could be EXACTLY what I was
    looking for.

    Hopefully the fact that I'm using an old PHP version 4 and old version of
    Mysql (3) on the public server wont cause too many problems. I've never used
    PHP5 but hopefully it is backwards compatible.

    Looks GREAT (on inital glance).
    cluthz, Aug 14, 2007
  20. cluthz

    cluthz Guest

    "Bergamot" <> wrote in message
    > cluthz wrote:
    >>
    >> crimzon editor looks good though.

    > Crimson Editor is indeed a great all-purpose tool (I use it myself), but
    > if you're looking for something geared more towards web authoring, take
    > a peek at WeBuilder.
    > http://www.blumentals.net/webuilder/
    >
    > It's got some nice features, too.

    As said I like it so far. So I'm also going to ask about what I've been
    looking for a while. A nice Gui based source code management system. I used
    to use a command line one years ago and I Want to again. (therefore you
    check code out, put it back in, you can easily revert back to old editions
    of the code).

    I want it to be easy to use but track the code changes I make with the
    option to allow multiple users to use it and track who changed what.

    Any more good suggestions?
    cluthz, Aug 14, 2007