bypass open/save/cancel dialog box

Jon Paal

how can I bypass the open/save/cancel dialog box and have the document requested open directly in the application associated with
the file type ?

You cannot.
This is a browser security feature.
Would you want some rogue web site opening documents (that may or may not be
infected) on your computer without your permission?

The only way would probably be if you had an embedded ActiveX control and
the user accepted its security warning.

Jon Paal

I understand the security issue, but it seems I've seen sites where a downloaded document is opened in a new window...or is this is
old style, eliminated as security over time has been upgraded ?

You can specify that you want a document opened in a new window or the same
window, but the user must still accept the opening of the file via a dialog
box. This security feature has been in place for many years; ever since I
can remember.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr,

Jon Paal

assuming they accept it , how do I get it to open in a window instead of the application. Such as a pdf file ?

Well a PDF file can generally only be opened by Adobe Acrobat, so you'd have
to launch that.

I suppose you could export the content to HTML format and then you could
display it in a window without the application and without security
problems.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr,