    Jon Paal Guest

    how can I bypass the open/save/cancel dialog box and have the document requested open directly in the application associated with
    the file type ?

    Jon Paal, Jan 22, 2007

  2. You cannot.
    This is a browser security feature.
    Would you want some rogue web site opening documents (that may or may not be
    infected) on your computer without your permission?

    The only way would probably be if you had an embedded ActiveX control and
    the user accepted its security warning.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr,

    Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider], Jan 22, 2007

  3. Jon   Paal

    Jon Paal Guest

    I understand the security issue, but it seems I've seen sites where a downloaded document is opened in a new window...or is this is
    old style, eliminated as security over time has been upgraded ?

    Jon Paal, Jan 22, 2007
  4. You can specify that you want a document opened in a new window or the same
    window, but the user must still accept the opening of the file via a dialog
    box. This security feature has been in place for many years; ever since I
    can remember.

    Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider], Jan 22, 2007
  5. Jon   Paal

    Jon Paal Guest

    assuming they accept it , how do I get it to open in a window instead of the application. Such as a pdf file ?

    Jon Paal, Jan 22, 2007
  6. Well a PDF file can generally only be opened by Adobe Acrobat, so you'd have
    to launch that.

    I suppose you could export the content to HTML format and then you could
    display it in a window without the application and without security
    problems.

    Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider], Jan 22, 2007