Bypassing WebFilter security

pranav

Hello everyone,
I am working in an organization, which is using a very strict
webcontent filter management suite. Due to this i am unable to
download any exe file, or surf web (even the necessary downloads from
sourceforgenet are blocked). I was wondering, if python could be of
any help. Say i have a python script, and i pass the URL of
downloadable file, and it just downloads the file for me.

Stefan Behnel

pranav said:
I am working in an organization, which is using a very strict
webcontent filter management suite. Due to this i am unable to
download any exe file, or surf web (even the necessary downloads from
sourceforgenet are blocked). I was wondering, if python could be of
any help. Say i have a python script, and i pass the URL of
downloadable file, and it just downloads the file for me.

Nice try. Can I talk to your employer for a minute? :)

Honestly, the language doesn't make any difference here, and there isn't much
you can do unless you control both sides, i.e. the server and the client. But
I would suggest you actually talk to your employer yourself to see if there's
an official way to get what you want.

Stefan

Daniel Fetchinson

I am working in an organization, which is using a very strict
Nice try. Can I talk to your employer for a minute? :)

Honestly, the language doesn't make any difference here, and there isn't
much
you can do unless you control both sides, i.e. the server and the client.
But
I would suggest you actually talk to your employer yourself to see if
there's
an official way to get what you want.

Yes, the language itself doesn't matter as long as you go through the
web. But if I were you I would use an ssh client to ssh to a remote
machine on which I have an account, download the file there to that
machine and scp it to the local machine. Assuming of course port 21 is
not blocked.

In fact, this is something I do regularly for similar reasons :)

Good luck,
Daniel

pranav

Yes, the language itself doesn't matter as long as you go through the
web. But if I were you I would use an ssh client to ssh to a remote
machine on which I have an account, download the file there to that
machine and scp it to the local machine. Assuming of course port 21 is
not blocked.

In fact, this is something I do regularly for similar reasons :)

Good luck,
Daniel

Daniel, cool even i thought of the same thing, but you see, the
assumption has no use in my case! It is also blocked, Anyways, i will
talk to the system admins here. Thanks all

Daniel Fetchinson

I am working in an organization, which is using a very strict
Daniel, cool even i thought of the same thing, but you see, the
assumption has no use in my case! It is also blocked, Anyways, i will
talk to the system admins here. Thanks all

Wait, port 21 is the *incoming* ssh port, when you use a client to ssh
*out* you open a generic high port number. So that should work, you
ssh out, download, go back to your local machine and scp out to get
the file. On your local machine port 21 is not needed simply because
you don't run an ssh server.

Good luck,
Daniel