    --
    Regards,
    Casey

    Casey Hawthorne, Oct 17, 2005

  2. Casey Hawthorne

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "Casey Hawthorne" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Since the distinction between interpreters and compilers seems to be
    > hazy sometimes, has anybody proposed a third distinction?
    >
    > Byters - for those programming languages that compile to byte code?
    > or
    > Pyters - since p-code (for Pascal) was the first language used in a
    > virtual machine?
    >
    > Then there are Byter distinctions:
    > - those languages keeping the interpreter around - Python
    > - those languages that throw away the compiler - Java

    The problem is that interpreted/compiled is a property of the run time
    environment, not of the programming language itself. You could write a C++
    interpreter, and you could write a Java compiler.

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Oct 17, 2005

  3. Casey Hawthorne

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:37:07 GMT, Casey Hawthorne
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >- those languages that throw away the compiler - Java

    Java does all kinds of things with the byte code, interpret, AOT. JIT,
    hotspot..
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Oct 18, 2005
  4. Casey Hawthorne

    Paul Cager Guest

    Re: Byters? Since the distinction between interpreters and compilers seems to be hazy sometimes, has anybody proposed a third distinction?

    Casey Hawthorne wrote:
    > Since the distinction between interpreters and compilers seems to be
    > hazy sometimes, has anybody proposed a third distinction?

    I think there is already a name for this "third way" - an "interpretive
    compiler". Have a look at http://www.comsci.us/compiler/glossary/

    Paul

    Paul Cager, Oct 18, 2005
  5. Re: Byters? Since the distinction between interpreters and compilers seems to be hazy sometimes, has anybody proposed a third distinction?

    "Paul Cager" <> wrote:

    >Casey Hawthorne wrote:
    >> Since the distinction between interpreters and compilers seems to be
    >> hazy sometimes, has anybody proposed a third distinction?
    >>

    >I think there is already a name for this "third way" - an "interpretive
    >compiler". Have a look at http://www.comsci.us/compiler/glossary/
    >
    >Paul

    You have made my minute!

    Okay!