}

int main() {
  int x = 5;
  int &&y = move(x);
}

Yes.

SG

[subject: Is this legal?]

There is a difference between the old rvalue references and the new
ones. GCC and MSVC still implement the old behaviour. But rvalue
references cannot be initialized with lvalue expressions anymore
according to the new rules.

Check out:
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2008/n2812.html
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2009/n2844.html

I'm applying the new rules in this post.
Example 1:
int main() {
  int x = 5;
  int &&y = x;
}

No. It won't comile because x is an lvalue expression.
Example 2:

int &&move(int &&x) {
  return x;
}

No. It won't compile because x is a *named* rvalue reference which
makes it an lvalue expression. Basically, names (that refer to
objects) and lvalue references are lvalue expressions. Anything else
is an rvalue expression. Try this:

int&& move(int& x) {
return static_cast<int&&>(x);
}

You can cast away "lvalue-ness" with a static cast. std::move is a
shortcut syntax for a static_cast.
int main() {
  int x = 5;
  int &&y = move(x);
}

This is OK. move returns an unnamed rvalue reference. So, it neither
has a name, nor is an lvalue reference. This makes it an rvalue
expression and you can initialize the rvalue reference y with this
rvalue expression.

Cheers,
SG

Michael Doubez

Check out:http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/w...rg/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2009/n2844.html

I'm applying the new rules in this post.
Example 1:
   int main() {
      int x = 5;
      int &&y = x;
   }

No. It won't comile because x is an lvalue expression.

From §5/6 of n3035, AFAIS y will decay to the semantic equivalent of a
lvalue:
<quote>
[ Example:
struct A { };
A&& operator+(A, A);
A&& f();
A a;
A&& ar = a;
The expressions f() and a + a are rvalues of type A. The expression ar
is an lvalue of type A. —end
example ]
No. It won't compile because x is a *named* rvalue reference which
makes it an lvalue expression. Basically, names (that refer to
objects) and lvalue references are lvalue expressions. Anything else
is an rvalue expression. Try this:

   int&& move(int& x) {
      return static_cast<int&&>(x);
   }

You can cast away "lvalue-ness" with a static cast. std::move is a
shortcut syntax for a static_cast.

The generic move is:
template <class T>
typename remove_reference<T>::type&&
move(T&& a)
{
return a;
}

This is OK. move returns an unnamed rvalue reference. So, it neither
has a name, nor is an lvalue reference. This makes it an rvalue
expression and you can initialize the rvalue reference y with this
rvalue expression.

Either I am confused or you are working with an earlier rvalue-
reference proposal.

SG

[subject: Is this legal?]
I'm applying the new rules in this post.
No. It won't comile because x is an lvalue expression.

From §5/6 of n3035, AFAIS y will decay to the semantic equivalent
of a lvalue:

Yes, y will behave like any other lvalue except that decltype(y) will
still be an rvalue reference. That doesn't change the fact that rvalue
references cannot be initialized with lvalue expressions. See
§8.5.3/5, the first top-level bullet point covers lvalue references
that are initialized with lvalue expressions. The second bullet point
covers the remaining cases. It does not allow initializing rvalue
references with lvalue expressions anymore:

" - Otherwise, the reference shall be an lvalue reference to a
non-volatile const type (i.e., cv1 shall be const), or the
reference shall be an rvalue reference and the initializer
expression shall be an rvalue. [...] "

Note the second half of the sentance and the last "and".
<quote>
[ Example:
struct A { };
A&& operator+(A, A);
A&& f();
A a;
A&& ar = a;
The expressions f() and a + a are rvalues of type A. The expression ar
is an lvalue of type A. —end example ]
</quote>

The example's last line of code is an oversight. See CWG issue #858:
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/cwg_active.html#858
The generic move is:
template <class T>
typename remove_reference<T>::type&&
move(T&& a)
{
    return a;
}

Replacing T by int (and remove_reference<int>::type ), you get the
same implementation as the OP.

No, it's not. You forgot about the template argument deduction and
reference collapsing rules. Depending on the kind of argument, the
reference 'a' will either be an lvalue- or an rvalue reference.
Examples:

void g() {
int i = 24;
move(i+0); // T=int --> T&& = int&& (rvalue reference)
move(i); // T=int& --> T&& = int& (lvalue reference)
}

In the 2nd case, T will be deduced to be an lvalue reference. Due to
reference collapsing 'a' will be an lvalue reference, too. This is
what makes "perfect forwarding" possible. The parameter's "value-ness"
is part of the reference's type. If you want to emulate this for ints
without templates you'd have to overload two move functions. One
taking an lvalue reference and one taking an rvalue reference to int.
Either I am confused or you are working with an earlier rvalue-
reference proposal.

I think you are confused. You may want to read David Abrahams
introductions to rvalue references on his new blog ( http://www.cpp-next.com/
). He also explains the "new" rules. I don't remember when the
proposal N2844 was voted into the draft but it has been published
about a year ago.

Cheers,
SG