    What about gdb - any gotchas there ? Valgrind ? One reckons they should not be an issue, but JIC.

    All and any advice most appreciated .
    , Nov 6, 2012

  2. On 11/6/2012 8:41 AM, wrote:
    > Thinking about using C++11 for a largish and rather important project. [..]
    >
    > Targeting Linux (gcc 4.7.2), so x-plat is not an issue. [..]
    >
    > So what do you think - is she ready for it or not ? [..]

    C++ has been used for "largish" and important projects for quite some
    time now. It's been "ready for it" since inception. It was *created*
    "ready for it". I think the main question you need to ask is, are *you*
    ready for it?

    Victor Bazarov, Nov 6, 2012

  3. Till Junge Guest

    On 11/06/2012 03:14 PM, Victor Bazarov wrote:
    > On 11/6/2012 8:41 AM, wrote:
    >> Thinking about using C++11 for a largish and rather important
    >> project. [..]
    >>
    >> Targeting Linux (gcc 4.7.2), so x-plat is not an issue. [..]
    >>
    >> So what do you think - is she ready for it or not ? [..]

    > C++ has been used for "largish" and important projects for quite some
    > time now. It's been "ready for it" since inception. It was *created*
    > "ready for it". I think the main question you need to ask is, are *you*
    > ready for it?

    V, I think he setevik was asking about the 11 part of c++11

    setevik,

    as long as your fine with how much of the new standard has been
    implemented in gcc 4.7.2 you're good to go (check
    http://wiki.apache.org/stdcxx/C++0xCompilerSupport). gdb and
    valgrind are not a problem at all.

    I don't have any idea about eclipse, though.

    Till
    Till Junge, Nov 6, 2012

    V,

    the thickly laid sarcasm, devoid of any valuable info, along with "ernichestvo", are our national Russian traits we should really try hard to get rid of. They don't help anyone any.

    Till, appreciate your feedback. I will let the group know how she goes.
    , Nov 6, 2012
  5. Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Tue, 2012-11-06, wrote:
    > Thinking about using C++11 for a largish and rather important project.
    >
    > Targeting Linux (gcc 4.7.2), so x-plat is not an issue.

    I guess you mean "cross-platform". It can still be an issue depending
    on exactly what you want to do -- not everyone has a bleeding-edge GCC
    and C++ standard library installed. For example Debian Stable is
    still on 4.4.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .