C and OpenMP

Renato Perini

Hi all!!!
I'm trying to find a *good* book about OpenMP and C, but I can't find
anything specific. Can you advice me some good (and updated) books about
OpenMP using the C interface? I'd like a book that covers everything
from the ground up. Thank you in advance.

Keith Thompson

Renato Perini said:
I'm trying to find a *good* book about OpenMP and C, but I can't find
anything specific. Can you advice me some good (and updated) books
about OpenMP using the C interface? I'd like a book that covers
everything from the ground up. Thank you in advance.

Since OpenMP isn't part of standard C, you're not likely to get much
good advice here in comp.lang.c. <http://openmp.org/> is likely to be
a much better source of information.

Antoninus Twink

I'm trying to find a *good* book about OpenMP and C, but I can't find
anything specific. Can you advice me some good (and updated) books about
OpenMP using the C interface? I'd like a book that covers everything
from the ground up. Thank you in advance.

That's a tough ask. I've only looked at two books on OpenMP, and they
both have problems: "Parallel Programming in OpenMP" is excellent, but
unfortunately mostly uses Fortran, while "Using OpenMP" is more
even-handed with the two languages but is pitched at a pretty basic
level. There's also "Parallel Programming in C with MPI and OpenMP",
which is a superb book but probably not what you're after - it focuses
almost entirely on parallel algorithms rather than practical programming
with the APIs.

Is there a good reason you're learning OpenMP instead of MPI?

jacob navia

Antoninus said:
That's a tough ask. I've only looked at two books on OpenMP, and they
both have problems: "Parallel Programming in OpenMP" is excellent, but
unfortunately mostly uses Fortran, while "Using OpenMP" is more
even-handed with the two languages but is pitched at a pretty basic
level. There's also "Parallel Programming in C with MPI and OpenMP",
which is a superb book but probably not what you're after - it focuses
almost entirely on parallel algorithms rather than practical programming
with the APIs.

Is there a good reason you're learning OpenMP instead of MPI?

Why is MPI better?

Antoninus Twink

Why is MPI better?

It isn't necessarily better - as always it depends on the application.
But for serious parallel processing, clusters are the way the world is
going, and OpenMP is only good in shared memory situations. It also has
the musky scent of Fortran about it :)