    anything specific. Can you advice me some good (and updated) books about
    OpenMP using the C interface? I'd like a book that covers everything
    from the ground up. Thank you in advance.

    Renato Perini, May 6, 2008

  2. Renato Perini <> writes:
    > I'm trying to find a *good* book about OpenMP and C, but I can't find
    > anything specific. Can you advice me some good (and updated) books
    > about OpenMP using the C interface? I'd like a book that covers
    > everything from the ground up. Thank you in advance.

    Since OpenMP isn't part of standard C, you're not likely to get much
    good advice here in comp.lang.c. <http://openmp.org/> is likely to be
    a much better source of information.

    --
    Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) <>
    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, May 6, 2008

  3. On 5 May 2008 at 23:08, Renato Perini wrote:
    > I'm trying to find a *good* book about OpenMP and C, but I can't find
    > anything specific. Can you advice me some good (and updated) books about
    > OpenMP using the C interface? I'd like a book that covers everything
    > from the ground up. Thank you in advance.

    That's a tough ask. I've only looked at two books on OpenMP, and they
    both have problems: "Parallel Programming in OpenMP" is excellent, but
    unfortunately mostly uses Fortran, while "Using OpenMP" is more
    even-handed with the two languages but is pitched at a pretty basic
    level. There's also "Parallel Programming in C with MPI and OpenMP",
    which is a superb book but probably not what you're after - it focuses
    almost entirely on parallel algorithms rather than practical programming
    with the APIs.

    Is there a good reason you're learning OpenMP instead of MPI?

    Antoninus Twink, May 6, 2008
  4. Renato Perini

    jacob navia Guest

    Antoninus Twink wrote:
    > On 5 May 2008 at 23:08, Renato Perini wrote:
    >> I'm trying to find a *good* book about OpenMP and C, but I can't find
    >> anything specific. Can you advice me some good (and updated) books about
    >> OpenMP using the C interface? I'd like a book that covers everything
    >> from the ground up. Thank you in advance.

    > That's a tough ask. I've only looked at two books on OpenMP, and they
    > both have problems: "Parallel Programming in OpenMP" is excellent, but
    > unfortunately mostly uses Fortran, while "Using OpenMP" is more
    > even-handed with the two languages but is pitched at a pretty basic
    > level. There's also "Parallel Programming in C with MPI and OpenMP",
    > which is a superb book but probably not what you're after - it focuses
    > almost entirely on parallel algorithms rather than practical programming
    > with the APIs.
    >
    > Is there a good reason you're learning OpenMP instead of MPI?

    Why is MPI better?

    --
    jacob navia
    jacob at jacob point remcomp point fr

    jacob navia, May 6, 2008
  5. On 6 May 2008 at 8:45, jacob navia wrote:
    > Why is MPI better?

    It isn't necessarily better - as always it depends on the application.
    But for serious parallel processing, clusters are the way the world is
    going, and OpenMP is only good in shared memory situations. It also has
    the musky scent of Fortran about it :)

    Antoninus Twink, May 6, 2008
  6. Sorry for the off topic question!!!

    Renato Perini, May 7, 2008