C.B. Falconer, RIP 1931-2012

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Charles Richmond, Oct 25, 2012.

  1. I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away. He used to
    be a regular in alt.folklore.computers, comp.os.cpm, and comp.lang.c. He
    had a long and involved history with computers and programming. He was born
    in Switzerland on September 13, 1931 and passed away in Damariscotta, Maine
    on June 4, 2012. I'm sure most everyone here remembers him and his posts to
    Usenet. One of his many accomplishments was writing an article for an early
    Dr. Dobbs magazine on implementing floating point on the Intel 8080
    microprocessor.

    His resent resume and the downloadable files from a recent web page of
    his... can be found at You can a recent resume of his at the ClassicCmp
    website:

    http://tinyurl.com/8fudn4o

    His obituary is at:

    http://tinyurl.com/8ahongj

    I know I'm *not* the only person he has helped in his time on Usenet. I'm
    sure many here will mourn his passing.

    --

    numerist at aquaporin4 dot com

    Charles Richmond, Oct 25, 2012

  2. Charles Richmond

    philo Guest

    On 10/25/2012 03:11 PM, Charles Richmond wrote:
    > I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away. He
    > used to be a regular in alt.folklore.computers, comp.os.cpm, and
    > comp.lang.c. He had a long and involved history with computers and
    > programming. He was born in Switzerland on September 13, 1931 and
    > passed away in Damariscotta, Maine on June 4, 2012. I'm sure most
    > everyone here remembers him and his posts to Usenet. One of his many
    > accomplishments was writing an article for an early Dr. Dobbs magazine
    > on implementing floating point on the Intel 8080 microprocessor.
    >
    > His resent resume and the downloadable files from a recent web page of
    > his... can be found at You can a recent resume of his at the ClassicCmp
    > website:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/8fudn4o
    >
    > His obituary is at:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/8ahongj
    >
    > I know I'm *not* the only person he has helped in his time on Usenet.
    > I'm sure many here will mourn his passing.
    >
    > --
    >
    > numerist at aquaporin4 dot com

    Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear the news.

    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686

    philo, Oct 25, 2012

  3. "Charles Richmond" <> writes:

    > I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away.

    Oh, that's very sad. Thanks for letting us know.

    -- Patrick

    Patrick Scheible, Oct 25, 2012
  4. "Charles Richmond" <> writes:
    > I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away. He
    > used to be a regular in alt.folklore.computers, comp.os.cpm, and
    > comp.lang.c. He had a long and involved history with computers and
    > programming. He was born in Switzerland on September 13, 1931 and
    > passed away in Damariscotta, Maine on June 4, 2012. I'm sure most
    > everyone here remembers him and his posts to Usenet. One of his many
    > accomplishments was writing an article for an early Dr. Dobbs magazine
    > on implementing floating point on the Intel 8080 microprocessor.

    Sad news indeed. Thank you for posting this.

    Will write code for food.

    Keith Thompson, Oct 25, 2012
  5. Charles Richmond

    Bruce Morgen Guest

    "Charles Richmond" <> wrote:

    >I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away. He used to
    >be a regular in alt.folklore.computers, comp.os.cpm, and comp.lang.c. He
    >had a long and involved history with computers and programming. He was born
    >in Switzerland on September 13, 1931 and passed away in Damariscotta, Maine
    >on June 4, 2012. I'm sure most everyone here remembers him and his posts to
    >Usenet. One of his many accomplishments was writing an article for an early
    >Dr. Dobbs magazine on implementing floating point on the Intel 8080
    >microprocessor.
    >
    >His resent resume and the downloadable files from a recent web page of
    >his... can be found at You can a recent resume of his at the ClassicCmp
    >website:
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/8fudn4o
    >
    >His obituary is at:
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/8ahongj
    >
    >I know I'm *not* the only person he has helped in his time on Usenet. I'm
    >sure many here will mourn his passing.

    I benefitted from Chuck's
    work years before I had
    access to Usenet -- and in
    all my time programming in
    the CP/M world, I never
    encountered a more solidly
    bulletproof tool than his
    "DDTZ" debugger, a true
    masterpiece that got me
    out of more jams than I
    could count back in the
    day. R.I.P.

    Bruce Morgen, Oct 26, 2012
  6. Charles Richmond

    Joe Pfeiffer Guest

    I am very, very sorry to learn this. While I never met him in person, I
    remember his many valuable contributions to this newsgroup. I hope that
    if anyone is in contact with his family they will convey my condolences.

    Joe Pfeiffer, Oct 26, 2012
  7. On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 15:11:12 -0500
    "Charles Richmond" <> wrote:

    > I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away. He used
    > to be a regular in alt.folklore.computers, comp.os.cpm, and comp.lang.c.

    A sad loss, I've been misssing him for some time.

    Thank you for letting us all know.

    --
    Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
    C:>WIN | A better way to focus the sun

    Ahem A Rivet's Shot, Oct 26, 2012
  8. Charles Richmond

    Peter Flass Guest

    On 10/25/2012 4:11 PM, Charles Richmond wrote:
    > I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away. He
    > used to be a regular in alt.folklore.computers, comp.os.cpm, and
    > comp.lang.c.

    Oh No :-( People drift in and out here so you lose track of them, but
    as I recall Chuck always had something interesting to say. I'm so sad.

    --
    Pete

    Peter Flass, Oct 26, 2012
  9. Charles Richmond

    Les Cargill Guest

    Charles Richmond wrote:
    > I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away. He
    > used to be a regular in alt.folklore.computers, comp.os.cpm, and
    > comp.lang.c. He had a long and involved history with computers and
    > programming. He was born in Switzerland on September 13, 1931 and
    > passed away in Damariscotta, Maine on June 4, 2012. I'm sure most
    > everyone here remembers him and his posts to Usenet. One of his many
    > accomplishments was writing an article for an early Dr. Dobbs magazine
    > on implementing floating point on the Intel 8080 microprocessor.
    >
    > His resent resume and the downloadable files from a recent web page of
    > his... can be found at You can a recent resume of his at the ClassicCmp
    > website:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/8fudn4o
    >
    > His obituary is at:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/8ahongj
    >
    > I know I'm *not* the only person he has helped in his time on Usenet.
    > I'm sure many here will mourn his passing.
    >
    > --
    >
    > numerist at aquaporin4 dot com

    very sad. Still, he had a good run.

    --
    Les Cargill

    Les Cargill, Oct 26, 2012
  10. Il 25/10/2012 22:11, Charles Richmond ha scritto:
    > I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away. He
    > used to be a regular in alt.folklore.computers, comp.os.cpm, and
    > comp.lang.c. He had a long and involved history with computers and
    > programming. He was born in Switzerland on September 13, 1931 and
    > passed away in Damariscotta, Maine on June 4, 2012. I'm sure most
    > everyone here remembers him and his posts to Usenet. One of his many
    > accomplishments was writing an article for an early Dr. Dobbs magazine
    > on implementing floating point on the Intel 8080 microprocessor.

    sirs, please stand up and raise glass !

    Best regards from Italy,
    dott. Piergiorgio.

    dott.Piergiorgio, Oct 26, 2012
  11. On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 15:11:12 -0500, "Charles Richmond"
    <> wrote:

    >I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away. He used to
    >be a regular in alt.folklore.computers, comp.os.cpm, and comp.lang.c. He

    Thank you for the news, bad though it is. I am sorry to hear of
    his death.

    [snip]

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko

    Gene Wirchenko, Oct 27, 2012
  12. Re: C.B. Falconer, RIP 1931-2012

    On Oct 25, 9:11 pm, "Charles Richmond" <>
    wrote:
    > I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away.  He used to
    > be a regular in alt.folklore.computers, comp.os.cpm, and comp.lang.c.  He
    > had a long and involved history with computers and programming.  He wasborn
    > in Switzerland on September 13, 1931 and passed away in Damariscotta, Maine
    > on June 4, 2012.  I'm sure most everyone here remembers him and his posts to
    > Usenet. One of his many accomplishments was writing an article for an early
    > Dr. Dobbs magazine on implementing floating point on the Intel 8080
    > microprocessor.
    >
    > His resent resume and the downloadable files from a recent web page of
    > his... can be found at You can a recent resume of his at the ClassicCmp
    > website:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/8fudn4o
    >
    > His obituary is at:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/8ahongj
    >
    > I know I'm *not* the only person he has helped in his time on Usenet.  I'm
    > sure many here will mourn his passing.

    thanks for posting this. He'll be missed.

    Nick Keighley, Oct 27, 2012
  13. In article <>,
    (jmfbahciv) writes:

    > I've been wondering for years where he went. Thanks for telling me.

    Me too. Rest in peace, Chuck.

    --
    /~\ d (Charlie Gibbs)

    Charlie Gibbs, Oct 27, 2012
  14. On 2012-10-26, dott.Piergiorgio <> wrote:
    > Il 25/10/2012 22:11, Charles Richmond ha scritto:
    >> I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away.

    > sirs, please stand up and raise glass !

    To Chuck!

    I've long appreciated his posts in afc and clc. Like many others I've
    wondered where he went.

    Niklas
    --
    Technology makes it possible for people to gain control
    over everything, except over technology.

    Niklas Karlsson, Oct 27, 2012
  15. On Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:11:24 PM UTC+1, Charles Richmond wrote:
    > I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away.

    Eternal rest, grant unto him O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him.

    May he rest in peace.

    Malcolm McLean, Oct 29, 2012
  16. Charles Richmond

    BruceS Guest

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 15:11:12 -0500, Charles Richmond wrote:

    > I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away. He
    > used to be a regular in alt.folklore.computers, comp.os.cpm, and
    > comp.lang.c. He had a long and involved history with computers and
    > programming. He was born in Switzerland on September 13, 1931 and
    > passed away in Damariscotta, Maine on June 4, 2012. I'm sure most
    > everyone here remembers him and his posts to Usenet. One of his many
    > accomplishments was writing an article for an early Dr. Dobbs magazine
    > on implementing floating point on the Intel 8080 microprocessor.
    >
    > His resent resume and the downloadable files from a recent web page of
    > his... can be found at You can a recent resume of his at the ClassicCmp
    > website:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/8fudn4o
    >
    > His obituary is at:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/8ahongj
    >
    > I know I'm *not* the only person he has helped in his time on Usenet.
    > I'm sure many here will mourn his passing.

    Thank you for the update. This is sad news, and you are certainly not
    the only person he helped. Many here will miss him.

    BruceS, Oct 29, 2012
  17. In article <k6c6db$tp4$>, says...

    >I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away. He used to
    >be a regular in alt.folklore.computers, comp.os.cpm, and comp.lang.c. He
    >had a long and involved history with computers and programming. He was born
    >in Switzerland on September 13, 1931 and passed away in Damariscotta, Maine
    >on June 4, 2012. I'm sure most everyone here remembers him and his posts to
    >Usenet. One of his many accomplishments was writing an article for an early
    >Dr. Dobbs magazine on implementing floating point on the Intel 8080
    >microprocessor.
    >
    >His resent resume and the downloadable files from a recent web page of
    >his... can be found at You can a recent resume of his at the ClassicCmp
    >website:
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/8fudn4o
    >
    >His obituary is at:
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/8ahongj
    >
    >I know I'm *not* the only person he has helped in his time on Usenet. I'm
    >sure many here will mourn his passing.

    While I didn't get any help from C.B., I did appreciate his posts. I
    remembered his name from the DDJ article ("Falconer Floating point, 16 bit
    floating point for the 8080", complete with Trig and Transcendental functions
    IIRC).

    He is one of the people I have noticed not posting here, including some other
    people I have occasionally wondered about: Roland Hutchinson and Frank McCoy
    for instance (and there was another guy that posted from Barrow, AK, I can't
    remember his name). I actually live close enough to Roland I could go see
    one of his "concerts".

    - Tim

    Tim McCaffrey, Oct 31, 2012
  18. Tim McCaffrey wrote, in <k6rpt4$s9u$>
    on Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:16:04 +0000 (UTC):

    > In article <k6c6db$tp4$>, says...
    > >
    > >I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away. He used to
    > >be a regular in alt.folklore.computers, comp.os.cpm, and comp.lang.c. He
    > >had a long and involved history with computers and programming. He was born
    > >in Switzerland on September 13, 1931 and passed away in Damariscotta, Maine
    > >on June 4, 2012. I'm sure most everyone here remembers him and his posts to
    > >Usenet. One of his many accomplishments was writing an article for an early
    > >Dr. Dobbs magazine on implementing floating point on the Intel 8080
    > >microprocessor.
    > >
    > >His resent resume and the downloadable files from a recent web page of
    > >his... can be found at You can a recent resume of his at the ClassicCmp
    > >website:
    > >
    > >http://tinyurl.com/8fudn4o
    > >
    > >His obituary is at:
    > >
    > >http://tinyurl.com/8ahongj
    > >
    > >I know I'm *not* the only person he has helped in his time on Usenet. I'm
    > >sure many here will mourn his passing.

    > While I didn't get any help from C.B., I did appreciate his posts. I
    > remembered his name from the DDJ article ("Falconer Floating point, 16 bit
    > floating point for the 8080", complete with Trig and Transcendental functions
    > IIRC).
    >
    > He is one of the people I have noticed not posting here, including some other
    > people I have occasionally wondered about: Roland Hutchinson and Frank McCoy
    > for instance (and there was another guy that posted from Barrow, AK, I can't
    > remember his name).

    Floyd Paterson I think.

    --
    Nick Spalding

    Nick Spalding, Oct 31, 2012
  19. On Wed, 31 Oct 2012, Nick Spalding wrote:

    >> While I didn't get any help from C.B., I did appreciate his posts. I
    >> remembered his name from the DDJ article ("Falconer Floating point, 16 bit
    >> floating point for the 8080", complete with Trig and Transcendental functions
    >> IIRC).
    >>
    >> He is one of the people I have noticed not posting here, including some other
    >> people I have occasionally wondered about: Roland Hutchinson and Frank McCoy
    >> for instance (and there was another guy that posted from Barrow, AK, I can't
    >> remember his name).

    > Floyd Paterson I think.

    I think that's Floyd Davison or Davidson. He seems less active to the
    newsgroups in recent years, but I've seen him in the digital photography
    newsgroup in recent months, and I think in one of the Linux newsgroups.
    I had the impression he came and went, posting for a bit, then
    disappearing, returning later.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Oct 31, 2012
  20. On Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:11:24 PM UTC-5, Charles Richmond wrote:
    > I am sorry to report that C.B. "Chuck" Falconer has passed away. He used to
    >
    > be a regular in alt.folklore.computers, comp.os.cpm, and comp.lang.c. He
    >
    > had a long and involved history with computers and programming. He was born
    >
    > in Switzerland on September 13, 1931 and passed away in Damariscotta, Maine
    >
    > on June 4, 2012. I'm sure most everyone here remembers him and his posts to
    >
    > Usenet. One of his many accomplishments was writing an article for an early
    >
    > Dr. Dobbs magazine on implementing floating point on the Intel 8080
    >
    > microprocessor.
    >

    > His resent resume and the downloadable files from a recent web page of
    >
    > his... can be found at You can a recent resume of his at the ClassicCmp
    >
    > website:
    >

    > http://tinyurl.com/8fudn4o
    >

    > His obituary is at:
    >

    > http://tinyurl.com/8ahongj
    >

    > I know I'm *not* the only person he has helped in his time on Usenet. I'm
    >
    > sure many here will mourn his passing.

    Chuck responded to one of my early posts with

    <snipped 400 lines of garbage>

    And he was right!

    --
    M Joshua Ryan (lusor-grood)