    I saw ms visual c++ .net standard v 2003, is this a good start? in do i
    have than everything i need in that package?

    Henk.
    henk, Jan 14, 2006

  2. henk wrote:
    > I want to straat with c++, but what do i need for that?

    Usually you need a good book, a text editor, and a compiler. I
    presume you already have a computer with an operating system on it.

    > I saw ms visual c++ .net standard v 2003, is this a good start? in do
    > i have than everything i need in that package?

    It is a good start, although it probably not cheap. You can find
    a free compiler. Look for "Dev-C++". Alternatively, I'd recommend
    MS Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. It's free and quite good. Do
    not get distracted by setting up projects, managing configurations
    and so on. Begin with using the command-line compiler. You will
    still need a good book. Look at www.accu.org for book reviews or
    sift through the news archives for gazillion of book recommendations.

    Victor Bazarov, Jan 14, 2006

  3. henk

    henk Guest

    Victor Bazarov schreef:
    > henk wrote:
    >
    >>I want to straat with c++, but what do i need for that?

    > Usually you need a good book, a text editor, and a compiler. I
    > presume you already have a computer with an operating system on it.
    >

    >>I saw ms visual c++ .net standard v 2003, is this a good start? in do
    >>i have than everything i need in that package?

    > It is a good start, although it probably not cheap. You can find
    > a free compiler. Look for "Dev-C++". Alternatively, I'd recommend
    > MS Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. It's free and quite good. Do
    > not get distracted by setting up projects, managing configurations
    > and so on. Begin with using the command-line compiler. You will
    > still need a good book. Look at www.accu.org for book reviews or
    > sift through the news archives for gazillion of book recommendations.

    Ok thanks for the help!, i shall get the prorgams later.

    Henk.
    henk, Jan 14, 2006
  4. henk

    Guest

    Victor Bazarov wrote:
    > henk wrote:
    > > I want to straat with c++, but what do i need for that?

    > Usually you need a good book, a text editor, and a compiler. I
    > presume you already have a computer with an operating system on it.
    >
    > > I saw ms visual c++ .net standard v 2003, is this a good start? in do
    > > i have than everything i need in that package?

    > It is a good start, although it probably not cheap. You can find
    > a free compiler. Look for "Dev-C++". Alternatively, I'd recommend
    > MS Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. It's free and quite good. Do
    > not get distracted by setting up projects, managing configurations
    > and so on. Begin with using the command-line compiler. You will
    > still need a good book. Look at www.accu.org for book reviews or
    > sift through the news archives for gazillion of book recommendations.

    I, myself, am a beginner who is using Dev C++. I'm struggling with the
    debugger a bit, and my impression is that other debuggers are better.
    So that may be a downside for Dev C++ compared to most others.

    Paul Epstein
    , Jan 14, 2006
  5. henk

    henk Guest

    schreef:
    > Victor Bazarov wrote:
    >
    >>henk wrote:
    >>
    >>>I want to straat with c++, but what do i need for that?

    >>Usually you need a good book, a text editor, and a compiler. I
    >>presume you already have a computer with an operating system on it.
    >>

    >>>I saw ms visual c++ .net standard v 2003, is this a good start? in do
    >>>i have than everything i need in that package?

    >>It is a good start, although it probably not cheap. You can find
    >>a free compiler. Look for "Dev-C++". Alternatively, I'd recommend
    >>MS Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. It's free and quite good. Do
    >>not get distracted by setting up projects, managing configurations
    >>and so on. Begin with using the command-line compiler. You will
    >>still need a good book. Look at www.accu.org for book reviews or
    >>sift through the news archives for gazillion of book recommendations.

    > I, myself, am a beginner who is using Dev C++. I'm struggling with the
    > debugger a bit, and my impression is that other debuggers are better.
    > So that may be a downside for Dev C++ compared to most others.
    >
    > Paul Epstein

    I'm now downloading ms visual c++ express, i have no experience with
    programming, so for now i stick with that for start.

    henk
    henk, Jan 14, 2006
  6. henk

    JustBoo Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 15:59:23 +0100, henk <> wrote:
    >I want to straat with c++, but what do i need for that?
    >I saw ms visual c++ .net standard v 2003, is this a good start? in do i
    >have than everything i need in that package?
    >Henk.

    If you have already purchased it, AFAIK, yes.

    If you haven't bought it yet there are some alternatives:
    http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/cpp.shtml
    should get you started. Search yourself though. :)

    This is a good group for Standard C++ questions.

    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32,
    is the group for specific Windows questions.

    Good Luck
    JustBoo, Jan 14, 2006
  7. henk

    henk Guest

    JustBoo schreef:
    > On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 15:59:23 +0100, henk <> wrote:
    >
    >>I want to straat with c++, but what do i need for that?
    >>I saw ms visual c++ .net standard v 2003, is this a good start? in do i
    >>have than everything i need in that package?
    >>Henk.

    > If you have already purchased it, AFAIK, yes.
    >
    > If you haven't bought it yet there are some alternatives:
    > http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/cpp.shtml
    > should get you started. Search yourself though. :)
    >
    > This is a good group for Standard C++ questions.
    >
    > comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32,
    > is the group for specific Windows questions.
    >
    > Good Luck

    No i have not purchased anything already.
    I'm gonna have a look at the mentioned adres.
    Thanks.

    henk
    henk, Jan 14, 2006
  8. henk

    Guest

    The best debugger is a couple of printf() statements at the right
    place... In many cases this is the *only* feasible debugger. For
    example, if a program exits after processing 5000 records, you can
    hardly step though it 5000 times and then discover the problem with
    your debugger (OK, you could watch a counter and break at 4999, but
    this is already quite sophisticated). Reading/grep-ing a log written by
    some properly placed printf()s is often the fastest way to find a bug.
    And if you think that microsoft's debugger is not good, try gdb - you
    will quickly want the ms debugger again :)
    , Jan 16, 2006
  9. henk

    JustBoo Guest

    On 15 Jan 2006 16:56:45 -0800, wrote:

    >The best debugger is a couple of printf() statements at the right
    >place... In many cases this is the *only* feasible debugger.

    True. The same thing can be realized with iostreams as well. It's
    considered more modern and standard, at least in this group.
    Just a different way to get the same output. :)

    > Reading/grep-ing a log written by
    >some properly placed printf()s is often the fastest way to find a bug.

    I find them very useful for temporal based programs. (Programs that
    must run over time with many state variables that change over time.)

    Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages.
    - Terry Pratchett
    JustBoo, Jan 16, 2006