C++ bible?

Eyegor

Hello all.
I've learned C about 7 years ago and the book i've learned by was the
Schildt 6th edition. I was told by many that the Schieldt is a very
bad text to learn C by. It was the required text for CS102 course...

Anyhow, I think its time for me to learn C++ and while at it refresh
my knowledge of C. What book would you suggest to buy? I am mostly
interested in Standard C++, if there is such a thing... I am one of
the old school scientists who think that performance and efficiency is
the key. I am trying to learn C++ to then learn C++ driven OpenCL and
Stream libraries.

Thanks

Eyegor

Hello all.
I've learned C about 7 years ago and the book i've learned by was the
Schildt 6th edition. I was told by many that the Schieldt is a very
bad text to learn C by. It was the required text for CS102 course...

Anyhow, I think its time for me to learn C++ and while at it refresh
my knowledge of C. What book would you suggest to buy? I am mostly
interested in Standard C++, if there is such a thing... I am one of
the old school scientists who think that performance and efficiency is
the key. I am trying to learn C++ to then learn C++ driven OpenCL and
Stream libraries.

Thanks

By the way, I don't care as much about GUIs as I do about number
crunching and data flow.

Ian Collins

Anyhow, I think its time for me to learn C++ and while at it refresh
my knowledge of C. What book would you suggest to buy? I am mostly
interested in Standard C++,

You should ask this on comp.lang.c++, no c.l.c.

Jon

Eyegor said:
Hello all.
I've learned C about 7 years ago and the book i've learned by was the
Schildt 6th edition. I was told by many that the Schieldt is a very
bad text to learn C by. It was the required text for CS102 course...

Anyhow, I think its time for me to learn C++ and while at it refresh
my knowledge of C. What book would you suggest to buy? I am mostly
interested in Standard C++, if there is such a thing... I am one of
the old school scientists who think that performance and efficiency is
the key. I am trying to learn C++ to then learn C++ driven OpenCL and
Stream libraries.

I think this is a very good question to ask in a C group because I think
it may give a more "experienced" answer (consider that some people
*start* with C++ and that those are more likely to be found in the C++
groups while in a C group you're *very* likely to find those who know
both languages) and certainly less political one ("language wars", job
security, lawsuits, etc.).

I don't know if you are trolling, but it bears some resemblence to such.
Anyway though, I'll answer. The "standard" (not to be confused with any
PL standard) answer is that there is no *one* book that will do. I
started with Stroustrup's second edition of "The C++ Programming
Language" (I was rejecting C++ in my late C days when the ARM was a
popular book, at least until I knew more about it). There is a current
version that is probably the thing to get if it's written in the same
style.(BS is quite adept at writing technical material, it appears). Oh,
scrap that recommendation: just because I found that book a good starting
point (along with J. Coplien's "Advanced C++"), doesn't mean it will be
good for you or be true "in the large" or "at large" (I'll have to look
up those 2 things someday). I've gotten the most use out of Stroustrup's
"D&E", but I'm more interested in language design than using C++
(especially these days).

OK, I just wrote all the above and I know it's probably useless since I
learned/used C++ in the early/mid nineties (and decreasingly ever since
in favor of my own constructions and plans and am currently
developing/implementing a new language). Anyway, without knowing what
your goals are, it's hard (if not impossible) to make a recommendation
even if anyone could. Bookstores used to be a great place to perusal
books like those, but they have long since succumbed to training manuals
for those supporting the big companies and their products (at least
*they* have a job?). You can borrow many good books from your local
library. Online info is spotty at best and some of the most seemingly
"authoritative" sites are nothing but propaganda. I like Wikipedia for
high-level (and even some low-level) R&D, but that is only and
introduction for you, I think.

So, about C++ today: as I am learning currently assembly language (for
need to do so), I don't think C++ is usuable without at least an
inline-assembler (note that 64-bit Visual C++ has *ELIMINATED* this
highly needed feature, so plan your/the future accordingly). You won't
realize that until you are years into it (well, maybe it's easier these
days. Surely it is.).

On learning C++: yeah, do it, but have a lot of salt handy.