C call of a C# dll

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Eltee, Dec 19, 2004.

  1. Eltee

    Eltee Guest

    Hi everybody,

    Is it possible to
    1. call a function from a dll made with .NET (C#)
    2. from a program written in plain (as in: not .NET) C or C++?

    To be more specific, this is what I have.

    1.
    C# file Class.cs:

    using System; //and some other packages

    namespace myns
    {
    public class Class
    {
    public Class()

    public static byte[] getByteArray(
    string name,
    int index,
    string format,
    ref int n
    ) {
    //Code returning some byte array.

    Compiling it, I get myns.dll.

    2.
    C file mycaller.c:

    #include <windows.h>
    #include <stdio.h>
    #include "mycaller.h"

    typedef byte* (*FunctionPointer)(char*, int, char*, int*);

    #ifdef __cplusplus
    extern "C" {
    #endif

    byte* myfunc() {

    //load the library
    HINSTANCE m_libraryHandle = LoadLibrary("myns.dll");
    if(m_libraryHandle != NULL) {
    printf("Library loaded\n");
    }
    else {
    printf("Library not loaded\n");
    return NULL;
    }

    byte* result = NULL;

    //get the function pointer
    FunctionPointer functionptr =
    (FunctionPointer)GetProcAddress(m_libraryHandle,
    "getByteArray");

    if(functionptr != NULL) {
    printf("Function pointer is OK\n");

    int n = -1;
    //call the function from the loaded library
    result = (*functionptr)("fubar1", 0, "fubar2", &n);

    //some code modifying the result
    }
    else {
    printf("Function pointer is NULL\n");
    }

    //free the library
    FreeLibrary(m_libraryHandle);
    printf("Library freed\n");

    return result;
    };

    #ifdef __cplusplus
    }
    #endif

    Now, the problem. Library gets loaded but the function pointer is
    allways NULL.

    1. Should the method call getByteArray() in Class.cs be "externalized"
    somehow
    in order for the call to be successful? If so, how do I "externalize" it?

    2. Is the name of the function in GetProcAddress() wrong? Should I put the
    namespace (myns) and class name (Class) in front of the method name? If
    so, how
    (I mean what delimiters do I use)?

    3. Something else?

    All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Eltee, Dec 19, 2004

  2. You can register the .NET class as a COM class (see regasm.exe) and use CoCreateInstance and friends to call it - you can create a typelib for your assembly using tlbexp.exe

    Regards

    Richard Blewett - DevelopMentor
    http://www.dotnetconsult.co.uk/weblog

    Richard Blewett [DevelopMentor], Dec 19, 2004

  3. Eltee

    Eltee Guest

    Richard Blewett [DevelopMentor] wrote:
    > You can register the .NET class as a COM class (see regasm.exe)
    > and use CoCreateInstance and friends to call it - you can create
    > a typelib for your assembly using tlbexp.exe

    I'm fairly new to .NET and C#. Could you be more specific, please?

    Eltee, Dec 19, 2004
  4. Richard Blewett [DevelopMentor] wrote:
    > You can register the .NET class as a COM class (see regasm.exe) and use CoCreateInstance and friends to call it - you can create a typelib for your assembly using tlbexp.exe

    Please do not post answers to Microsoft-specific questions to comp.lang.c
    dll's, .NET, C# are all Gatesware and have nothing to do with the C
    programming language.

    Martin Ambuhl, Dec 19, 2004
  5. Eltee wrote:
    > Richard Blewett [DevelopMentor] wrote:
    >
    >> You can register the .NET class as a COM class (see regasm.exe)

    > > and use CoCreateInstance and friends to call it - you can create
    > > a typelib for your assembly using tlbexp.exe

    > I'm fairly new to .NET and C#. Could you be more specific, please?

    Not in comp.lang.c
    Please do not post Microsoft-specific questions to comp.lang.c

    Martin Ambuhl, Dec 19, 2004

    Martin Ambuhl, Dec 19, 2004
  7. Eltee

    Eltee Guest

    Martin Ambuhl wrote:
    > Eltee wrote:
    >
    >> Hi everybody,
    >>
    >> Is it possible to
    >> 1. call a function from a dll made with .NET (C#)
    >> 2. from a program written in plain (as in: not .NET) C or C++?

    > Please do not post Microsoft-specific questions to comp.lang.c
    > dll's, .NET, C# are all Gatesware and have nothing to do with the C
    > programming language.

    But they have. They're written in C/C++. More important, they have to
    interact with C and that's what I'm interested in. Whether you like it
    or not.

    Eltee, Dec 19, 2004
  8. On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:18:19 +0100, in comp.lang.c , Eltee
    <> wrote:

    >Martin Ambuhl wrote:
    >> Eltee wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi everybody,
    >>>
    >>> Is it possible to
    >>> 1. call a function from a dll made with .NET (C#)
    >>> 2. from a program written in plain (as in: not .NET) C or C++?

    >> Please do not post Microsoft-specific questions to comp.lang.c
    >> dll's, .NET, C# are all Gatesware and have nothing to do with the C
    >> programming language.

    >But they have. They're written in C/C++.

    a) there's no such language as C/C++, you surely know that C and C++ are
    different (and incompatible) languages

    b) .NET and C# are NOT written in C or C++, they're written using
    Microsoft's extensions to the C++ language which are not part of C++ and
    certainly ain't part of C.

    >More important, they have to interact with C and that's what I'm interested in.

    Who cares what you are interested in? This is comp.lang.c, not
    comp.lang.eltees.interests.

    >Whether you like it or not.

    The point is, the topic here is the C language, not how some
    vendor-specific extension of it, with its own newsgroup for crissake,
    interacts with some other random language.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Dec 19, 2004
  9. Eltee

    CBFalconer Guest

    Eltee wrote:
    > Martin Ambuhl wrote:
    >> Eltee wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is it possible to
    >>> 1. call a function from a dll made with .NET (C#)
    >>> 2. from a program written in plain (as in: not .NET) C or C++?

    >> Please do not post Microsoft-specific questions to comp.lang.c
    >> dll's, .NET, C# are all Gatesware and have nothing to do with
    >> the C programming language.

    > But they have. They're written in C/C++. More important, they
    > have to interact with C and that's what I'm interested in.
    > Whether you like it or not.

    No they don't. There are no such things as dll's in the C
    language, nor is their any mention of .net or C#. However if you
    quote me chapter and verse from the ISO C standard defining any of
    dll, .net, or C# I will retract.

    Meanwhile you have peavishly and rudely continued to post off-topic
    material on c.l.c, when Martin had plainly set f'ups to confine any
    further discussion to an area where it might be on-topic.

    --
    Chuck F () ()

    CBFalconer, Dec 19, 2004
  10. Eltee

    infobahn Guest

    Eltee wrote:

    > Martin Ambuhl wrote:
    >
    >> Eltee wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi everybody,
    >>>
    >>> Is it possible to
    >>> 1. call a function from a dll made with .NET (C#)
    >>> 2. from a program written in plain (as in: not .NET) C or C++?

    >> Please do not post Microsoft-specific questions to comp.lang.c
    >> dll's, .NET, C# are all Gatesware and have nothing to do with the C
    >> programming language.

    > But they have. They're written in C/C++.

    I presume you mean that they are written in a mixture of C and C++.
    That in itself is not sufficient to make them relevant in this
    newsgroup, I'm afraid. (If it were, the newsgroup would become
    too general to be useful.)

    > More important, they have to
    > interact with C and that's what I'm interested in. Whether you like it
    > or not.

    Your question is more to do with the organisation of Windows DLLs
    than it is to do with the C programming language, so it may be a
    better use of your time to ask the folks in a Windows newsgroup,
    such as comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32. Whether you like it
    or not. :)

    infobahn, Dec 19, 2004
  11. Eltee

    Eltee Guest

    Mark McIntyre wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:18:19 +0100, in comp.lang.c , Eltee
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Martin Ambuhl wrote:

    >>>Please do not post Microsoft-specific questions to comp.lang.c
    >>>dll's, .NET, C# are all Gatesware and have nothing to do with the C
    >>>programming language.

    >>But they have. They're written in C/C++.

    > a) there's no such language as C/C++,

    You're right there. Absolutely right. Then again, there's no such
    language as C either. There's ANSI C, there's this C, there's that C.
    And there's another C. BTW: which flavor is allowed to be discussed in
    this NG?

    Almost the same with C++. But I'm sure you knew that.

    > you surely know that C and C++ are
    > different (and incompatible) languages
    >
    > b) .NET and C# are NOT written in C or C++, they're written using
    > Microsoft's extensions to the C++ language which are not part of C++ and
    > certainly ain't part of C.

    Right, silly me. BTW: are you guys always so helpful or are you just
    trying to be elitistic?

    >>More important, they have to interact with C and that's what I'm interested in.

    > Who cares what you are interested in?

    I thought that maybe the ones who are not interested would just ignore
    my post. And the ones who reply would give me at least some directions
    other than "go away". But heck, that's life. I'm not complaining.

    > This is comp.lang.c, not
    > comp.lang.eltees.interests.
    >

    >>Whether you like it or not.

    > The point is, the topic here is the C language,

    Yeah, right. Which C language, again?

    > not how some
    > vendor-specific extension of it, with its own newsgroup for crissake,

    Which NG would that be, BTW? If I go into some M$ NG and mention MinGW
    they'll do what you do: try to scare me off.

    > interacts with some other random language.

    Other than some other flavor of C you mean?

    Eltee, Dec 20, 2004
  12. Eltee

    Eltee Guest

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > Eltee wrote:
    >
    >>Martin Ambuhl wrote:

    >>>Please do not post Microsoft-specific questions to comp.lang.c
    >>>dll's, .NET, C# are all Gatesware and have nothing to do with
    >>>the C programming language.

    >>But they have. They're written in C/C++. More important, they
    >>have to interact with C and that's what I'm interested in.
    >>Whether you like it or not.

    > No they don't. There are no such things as dll's in the C
    > language,

    Right, silly me. I should've said so's, right. How 'bout those?

    > nor is their any mention of .net or C#.

    Neither is there any mention of English. And yet, English comes in handy
    in this ta-da! _C_ NG.

    > However if you
    > quote me chapter and verse from the ISO C standard

    Oh, so that's the flavor. Makes me wonder, though, why this isn't
    comp.lang.ISO.c.

    > defining any of
    > dll, .net, or C# I will retract.

    Don't worry, you won't have to.

    > Meanwhile you have peavishly and rudely continued to post off-topic
    > material on c.l.c, when Martin had plainly set f'ups to confine any
    > further discussion to an area where it might be on-topic.

    Right, a great sin, a great sin. I'll have to mention it next sunday.

    Eltee, Dec 20, 2004
  13. Eltee

    Eltee Guest

    infobahn wrote:
    > Eltee wrote:
    >
    >> Martin Ambuhl wrote:

    >>> Please do not post Microsoft-specific questions to comp.lang.c
    >>> dll's, .NET, C# are all Gatesware and have nothing to do with the C
    >>> programming language.

    >> But they have. They're written in C/C++.

    > I presume you mean that they are written in a mixture of C and C++.

    Right. Finally some common sense.

    > That in itself is not sufficient to make them relevant in this
    > newsgroup, I'm afraid. (If it were, the newsgroup would become
    > too general to be useful.)
    >
    > > More important, they have to

    >> interact with C and that's what I'm interested in. Whether you like it
    >> or not.

    > Your question is more to do with the organisation of Windows DLLs
    > than it is to do with the C programming language, so it may be a
    > better use of your time to ask the folks in a Windows newsgroup,
    > such as comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32. Whether you like it
    > or not. :)

    Ooh, I like it. Do you know you're the only person in here who gave me
    some useful advice? I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

    Eltee, Dec 20, 2004
  14. Eltee

    CBFalconer Guest

    Eltee wrote:
    > infobahn wrote:

    .... snip ...

    >>> More important, they have to interact with C and that's what
    >>> I'm interested in. Whether you like it or not.

    >> Your question is more to do with the organisation of Windows DLLs
    >> than it is to do with the C programming language, so it may be a
    >> better use of your time to ask the folks in a Windows newsgroup,
    >> such as comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32. Whether you like it
    >> or not. :)

    > Ooh, I like it. Do you know you're the only person in here who gave me
    > some useful advice? I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

    If you make a large effort and exercize your miniscule brainlet,
    you will see that Martin and then Infobahn gave you precise reasons
    for not posting your query on c.l.c. However you insist on
    shouldering your way in here with foolish and annoying comments.
    This is a very poor reflection on the training you received from
    your parents, or possibly indicates you are still too young to have
    received such a benefit at all. If you happen to be "mentally
    challenged" at least say so, and allow others to then give you the
    benefit of the doubt.

    --
    Chuck F () ()

    CBFalconer, Dec 20, 2004
  15. Eltee

    Eltee Guest

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > Eltee wrote:
    >
    >>infobahn wrote:

    > ... snip ...

    >>>Your question is more to do with the organisation of Windows DLLs
    >>>than it is to do with the C programming language, so it may be a
    >>>better use of your time to ask the folks in a Windows newsgroup,
    >>>such as comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32. Whether you like it
    >>>or not. :)

    >>Ooh, I like it. Do you know you're the only person in here who gave me
    >>some useful advice? I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

    > If you make a large effort and exercize your miniscule brainlet,

    Minuscule brainlet? Wow, that's pretty refreshing after all the nice
    help I received in this NG.

    > you will see that Martin and then Infobahn gave you precise reasons
    > for not posting your query on c.l.c.

    What precise reasons? Martin said that Gatesware had nothing to do with
    C. Appart from that #include <windows.h> and (god forbid!) a dll
    mentioned, the second code snippet I posted had nothin to do with Gates
    and was, in fact, writen in C. If you guys are so geekishly elitistic
    that it's beyond your standard to say "look, I think you'd find better
    answers in comp.<whatever> than here", then you crowns-of-creation
    should stick to the moderated groups (which do exist, btw) or even
    closed mailing lists, and orgasm over "pure" C in private.

    > However you insist on
    > shouldering your way in here

    Where _is_ here? Shoulder? I think this is a public NG. I don't need to
    shoulder my way in.

    > with foolish and annoying comments.
    > This is a very poor reflection on the training you received from
    > your parents,

    Unlike you perhaps, I wasn't trained. I don't know about your hometown,
    but where I live people generaly don't train their children. They train
    their dogs.

    > or possibly indicates you are still too young to have
    > received such a benefit at all. If you happen to be "mentally
    > challenged" at least say so, and allow others to then give you the
    > benefit of the doubt.

    All this hate just as a reaction to a (alleged) mispost? Sheesh! I
    really must keep out.

    Eltee, Dec 20, 2004
  16. Eltee

    infobahn Guest

    Eltee wrote:

    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> If you happen to be "mentally
    >> challenged" at least say so, and allow others to then give you the
    >> benefit of the doubt.

    > All this hate just as a reaction to a (alleged) mispost? Sheesh! I
    > really must keep out.

    That would be a shame. I don't wish to become embroiled in a
    flamefest, but I hope you'll appreciate that C is such a
    popular language that those who wish to discuss the language
    itself, as opposed to the thousands of libraries and programs
    written in (and for) it, find it necessary to guard the
    topicality of this newsgroup very closely. If they didn't,
    the newsgroup would quickly descend into an abyss of
    platform-specific questions that mean little to the majority
    of the readers of the group, at which point those C experts
    that make this newsgroup most useful would in all likelihood
    stop bothering to read it at all. Such an outcome would be
    very regrettable, but inevitable. More or less the same
    thing happened to comp.lang.c++ a few years ago, and it took
    them a long time to recover.

    There are, of course, lots of newsgroups dealing with questions
    about C#, about Windows, about DLLs, and so on and so forth, so
    it does make sense to direct such questions to those groups.

    It is a little unfortunate that some longstanding comp.lang.c
    regulars consider it necessary (or, perhaps, fun?) to lambast
    those who innocently cross the topicality line, using pejorative
    language that could easily be avoided. Nevertheless, it is
    hardly surprising that their patience is tried from time
    to time, given the number of times they have to explain the
    topicality rules to newcomers.

    This newsgroup is a wonderful learning resource for the C
    language itself, as defined by ISO/IEC 9899 (the 1990 and
    1999 flavours) or - for historical reasons - by K&R's
    original book. I hope you will feel welcome here when you
    have questions about the core language itself, and have the
    good sense to seek platform-specific newsgroups when you
    have platform-specific questions.

    As I mentioned before, comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
    is an excellent "catch-all" Windows programming newsgroup,
    whose experienced contributors should either be able to
    answer your question or point you to an even more specialised
    newsgroup.

    Good luck in your search for an answer. Take care.

    infobahn, Dec 20, 2004
  17. Eltee

    CBFalconer Guest

    infobahn wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > It is a little unfortunate that some longstanding comp.lang.c
    > regulars consider it necessary (or, perhaps, fun?) to lambast
    > those who innocently cross the topicality line, using pejorative
    > language that could easily be avoided. Nevertheless, it is
    > hardly surprising that their patience is tried from time
    > to time, given the number of times they have to explain the
    > topicality rules to newcomers.

    The thing that was lambasted was the rude and ignorant insistance
    on butting back in with OT drivel, especially as a response to
    something that had follow-ups set precisely to avoid said drivel.
    Who was it said "it does it only to annoy" in Alice?

    --
    Chuck F () ()

    CBFalconer, Dec 20, 2004
  18. Eltee <> writes:
    [...]
    > You're right there. Absolutely right. Then again, there's no such
    > language as C either. There's ANSI C, there's this C, there's that
    > C. And there's another C. BTW: which flavor is allowed to be discussed
    > in this NG?

    Yes, there is such a language as C. There are also a number of C-like
    dialects. We discuss the former, not the latter.

    We discuss C as defined by the 1990 and 1999 ISO standards, and
    sometimes historical versions of C a defined by K&R1 and earlier
    documents. We find that these restrictions don't create any lack of
    things to talk about, as you can tell from the high volume of this
    newsgroup.

    [snip]
    > Right, silly me. BTW: are you guys always so helpful or are you just
    > trying to be elitistic?

    If someone has a question about standard C, we tend to be very
    helpful. For questions about anything else, the best help we can give
    is to advise the questioner to ask it somewhere else. We're not
    trying to be elitist; we're trying to maintain the focus of this
    newsgroup, and we're acknowledging the limits of our expertise.

    Ignoring off-topic posts doesn't work. First, it would require
    unanimous agreement to ignore them, which is impractical. Second,
    they would quickly drown the newsgroup; this has happened in other
    groups, and we don't want it to happen here.

    Keith Thompson, Dec 20, 2004
  19. On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:26:52 +0100, in comp.lang.c , Eltee
    <> wrote:

    >You're right there. Absolutely right. Then again, there's no such
    >language as C either. There's ANSI C, there's this C, there's that C.
    >And there's another C.

    There's exacly one computer langauge called C. Its defined by the ISO
    standard.

    >BTW: which flavor is allowed to be discussed in this NG?

    Guess.

    >> b) .NET and C# are NOT written in C or C++, they're written using
    >> Microsoft's extensions to the C++ language which are not part of C++ and
    >> certainly ain't part of C.

    >Right, silly me. BTW: are you guys always so helpful or are you just
    >trying to be elitistic?

    We're always so helpful. It only looks elitist if you're too stupid to
    realise you're asking about buying socks in a greengrocers.

    >I thought that maybe the ones who are not interested would just ignore
    >my post. And the ones who reply would give me at least some directions
    >other than "go away". But heck, that's life. I'm not complaining.

    Round here, we agressively defend teh topic of the group, because otherwise
    it gets filled with people asking offtopic quesstions, and idiots answering
    them with incorrect, misleading or plain bollocks answers.

    > > not how some
    >> vendor-specific extension of it, with its own newsgroup for crissake,

    >Which NG would that be, BTW?

    I have no clue. Get a newsreader with search facilities.

    >> interacts with some other random language.

    >Other than some other flavor of C you mean?

    C has no flavours. And there's a U in flavour.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Dec 20, 2004
  20. On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:23:12 +0100, in comp.lang.c , Eltee
    <> wrote:

    >CBFalconer wrote:
    >> Eltee wrote:
    >>
    >> you will see that Martin and then Infobahn gave you precise reasons
    >> for not posting your query on c.l.c.

    >What precise reasons? Martin said that Gatesware had nothing to do with
    >C.

    Yes. And he's right.

    >Appart from that #include <windows.h> and (god forbid!) a dll
    >mentioned, the second code snippet I posted had nothin to do with Gates

    windows.h is the Windows platform header. If thats not Windows specific,
    nothing is.

    >and was, in fact, writen in C. If you guys are so geekishly elitistic
    >that it's beyond your standard to say "look, I think you'd find better
    >answers in comp.<whatever> than here",

    What better answer is there, than to point you at the experts? We're not
    windows experts, why ask us?

    >then you crowns-of-creation
    >should stick to the moderated groups (which do exist, btw) or even
    >closed mailing lists, and orgasm over "pure" C in private.

    CLC was here first. We like this group like it is. If you want to discuss
    someething else, go elsewhere.

    >Unlike you perhaps, I wasn't trained. I don't know about your hometown,
    >but where I live people generaly don't train their children.

    This explains /a lot/ about some of the posters here. Of course people
    train their kids - you train them to say please and thankyou, not to hit
    other kids, not to sh*t on granny's carpet, not to steal ferraris.

    >All this hate just as a reaction to a (alleged) mispost? Sheesh! I
    >really must keep out.

    No don't do that. But do post topical posts.
    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Dec 20, 2004