    Are there much more usefull books where reading it is a must ?

    Thanks,

    Howie

    Howie, Sep 9, 2003

  2. > i have just read a lot in "Large-Scale C++ Software Design" from John
    > Lakos.
    >
    > This is an absolute great usefull book for everyone in a project team,
    > and now i am worry about:
    > Are there much more usefull books where reading it is a must ?

    It depends on what your goals are, if it involves learning C++ beyond
    the absolute beginner level your team should at least read a a couple of
    the books listed below:

    The C++ Programming Language, 3rd edition, Bjarne Stroustrup.
    Effective C++, Scott Meyers
    More Effective C++, Scott Meyers
    Exceptional C++, Herb Sutter
    More Exceptional C++, Herb Sutter
    The C++ Standard Library, Nicolai M. Josuttis
    C++ Templates, David Vandevoorde and Nicolai M. Josuttis

    --
    Peter van Merkerk
    peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl

    Peter van Merkerk, Sep 9, 2003

  3. Howie

    Sumit Rajan Guest

    Howie wrote:

    > Are there much more usefull books where reading it is a must ?

    Try the following if you have not done so already:

    The C++ Programming Language ( http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd.html )
    by Bjarne StrouStrup

    Effective C++
    by Scott Meyers

    More Effective C++
    by Scott Meyers

    HTH,
    Sumit.

    Sumit Rajan, Sep 9, 2003
  4. > Are there much more usefull books where reading it is a must ?

    I might want to add:
    Alexander Alexandrescu: "Modern C++ Design"

    It is about templates, SmartPointers, Memory Management, Factories,
    Functors and some other stuff, but mainly it is about templates.
    Advanced reading, but helped me a lot.

    Gabriel

    Gabriel Schreiber, Sep 9, 2003
  5. As well as those mentioned;
    If you are into design of large scale systems I'd recommend the gang of
    four's "Design Patterns"
    Also Multi-Paradigm design in C++
    Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in C++"

    On the development process Steve McConnell's "Rapid Development" is
    excellent IMHO . I've seen every mistake he mentions several times in the
    past 27 years of programming (I shan't mention how many were down to me) :)

    Pat

    Pat McCormack, Sep 9, 2003
  6. > > Are there much more usefull books where reading it is a must ?

    > I might want to add:
    > Alexander Alexandrescu: "Modern C++ Design"
    >
    > It is about templates, SmartPointers, Memory Management, Factories,
    > Functors and some other stuff, but mainly it is about templates.
    > Advanced reading, but helped me a lot.

    That book was an eye opener for me. Unfortunately I have to work with
    compilers that have problems digesting the advanced template tricks
    discussed in that book. So for me its practical usefulness is very
    limited at the moment, hopefully this will change for thew better soon.
    It is also the kind book I'd like to keep away from beginners as it may
    discourage them from learning C++.

    --
    Peter van Merkerk
    peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl

    Peter van Merkerk, Sep 9, 2003
  7. Howie

    Howie Guest

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 11:27:36 +0200, Howie <> wrote:
    Thanks all for your opinion

    This is the collected list:

    The C++ Programming Language, 3rd edition, Bjarne Stroustrup.
    Effective C++, Scott Meyers
    More Effective C++, Scott Meyers
    Exceptional C++, Herb Sutter
    More Exceptional C++, Herb Sutter
    The C++ Standard Library, Nicolai M. Josuttis
    C++ Templates, David Vandevoorde and Nicolai M. Josuttis
    Alexander Alexandrescu: "Modern C++ Design"
    the gang of four's "Design Patterns"
    Multi-Paradigm design in C++
    Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in C++"
    Steve McConnell's "Rapid Development"