    Does anyone know any tools for that?

    Thnx
    Jason

    Jason, May 4, 2006

  2. Jason

    Default User Guest

    Jason wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for tools that enable one to enforce coding standards or
    > code beautifyer tools that work on C++ code. I have seen some for
    > Java, like JCSC, but none for C++.

    The product we use for standards conformance is CodeWizard.

    <http://www.parasoft.com/jsp/products/home.jsp?product=Wizard&itemId=50>

    Brian

    Default User, May 4, 2006

  3. Jason

    Ian Collins Guest

    Jason wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for tools that enable one to enforce coding standards or
    > code beautifyer tools that work on C++ code. I have seen some for Java,
    > like JCSC, but none for C++.
    >
    > I am also looking for tools that can measure design quality in C++
    > code, such as Dependencies between packages, Coupling, Stability,
    > Distance, etc.
    >
    > Does anyone know any tools for that?

    My teams use collective code ownership, so there is no need to enforce
    coding standards.

    If you have to use tools for this, you have a people problem rather than
    a technical one.

    --
    Ian Collins.

    Ian Collins, May 4, 2006
  4. Jason

    Jason Guest

    If I do not use tools for that, I will have two problems:

    I willl depend solely on people to detect, confirm and solve every
    conformance problem - and I will also have to depend on them to use the
    standards. All those are subject to error.

    I would be counting on people and providing nothing to aid them.

    By using tools to enforce coding standards I would like to make
    training cheaper and checking more efficient. Besides, I would like to
    have ways of fixing standards of legacy code.

    Of course, I understand your point, and I am not planning to rely
    solely on the tools.

    Process, Tools and People. Not necessarily in this order.

    Jason, May 5, 2006
  5. Jason

    Ian Collins Guest

    Jason wrote:
    > If I do not use tools for that, I will have two problems:

    Please provide some context, so I don't have to go back and open my

    > I willl depend solely on people to detect, confirm and solve every
    > conformance problem - and I will also have to depend on them to use the
    > standards. All those are subject to error.
    >
    > I would be counting on people and providing nothing to aid them.

    Try some other people based processes, like pair programming. That way
    two people get to vet every change.

    > By using tools to enforce coding standards I would like to make
    > training cheaper and checking more efficient. Besides, I would like to
    > have ways of fixing standards of legacy code.

    My last team looked for a tool to format code prior to checkin, but we
    couldn't find anything that did a decent job of C++. C and Java yes, but
    not C++.

    > Of course, I understand your point, and I am not planning to rely
    > solely on the tools.
    >
    > Process, Tools and People. Not necessarily in this order.

    Well said!

    --
    Ian Collins.

    Ian Collins, May 6, 2006