C++ code for APUE book by W.R.Stevens

Discussion in 'C++' started by tao3256, Apr 20, 2007.

  1. tao3256

    tao3256 Guest

    Hi, all:

    Does anyone try to do C++ recoding of the original C code of W. R.
    Stevens' book "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment",
    ISBN:0201563177, 1992 ? I got the redhat linux version of C code, works
    works fine in my knoppix linux2.4.6 (installed).

    I am trying to pack the C code into C++, following the C++ guideline
    1. using C++ namespace to get rid of static global functions,
    2. using C++ namespace to get rid of #define constants,
    3. using C++ class to pack functions for data members, such as file,
    proc, signal, ..., etc.

    Currently my system specification:
    1. CPU 2GH 686 intel, 256MB memory, DVD, USB, etc.
    2. WindowsXP, qemu + knoppix(iso)

    Current Status:
    1. knoppix linux 2.4.6 running in qemu window under windowsXP,
    2. able to access floppy, NTSF windowXP C:hard drive (ReadOnly), and
    ext3 qemu hard drive image(ReadWrite),
    3. re-compiled original redhat C code successfully,
    4. recode original ourhdr.h to a namespace-oriented ourhdr.h,
    5. compiled code using g++ with namespace-oriented ourhdr.h successfully,

    Work to do:
    1. write useful C++ classes "Type" (e.g. fileType) to categorize and
    pack functions and data,
    2. re-write all C code to C++ code.

    Anyone interested on this? let me know. The reason to re-invent the
    wheel is to help current C++ programmers to get into unix/linux
    programming. The original C code is messy (my opinion only). Mr.
    Stevens passed away long ago, now is the time to move forward to C++
    with his good book.

    Dr. Boris Chang

    tao3256, Apr 20, 2007

  2. tao3256

    Dizzy Guest

    tao3256 wrote:

    > Hi, all:

    Hello

    > Does anyone try to do C++ recoding of the original C code of W. R.
    > Stevens' book "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment",
    > ISBN:0201563177, 1992 ? I got the redhat linux version of C code, works
    > works fine in my knoppix linux2.4.6 (installed).
    > Anyone interested on this? let me know. The reason to re-invent the
    > wheel is to help current C++ programmers to get into unix/linux
    > programming.
    > The original C code is messy (my opinion only). Mr.
    > Stevens passed away long ago, now is the time to move forward to C++
    > with his good book.

    There is a (rather recent) second edition and still uses C. I don't think it
    should use C++ when it's presenting a POSIX C API (so there isn't much
    to "move forward to C++"). Maybe when we will have a POSIX C++ API there
    would be a book covering that.

    Boost should cover most of the C++ programmers needs that are not covered by
    the current standard library and I would rather have people use boost than
    some yet another API to wrap POSIX (and others) features.

    --
    Dizzy

    Dizzy, Apr 20, 2007