C Compiler question

Dave Saville

When one installs perl does it "remember" anything about the C
compiler, .h files and libs at the time?

Because on my ECS OS/2 system running perl 5.8.2 I can install most
modules from CPAN without a problem, *unless* the install needs to run
the C compiler and then they usually fall over with some obscure
error. Most often it is a linkage error rather than the compiler
whingeing. I *have* updated the C compiler several times since
installing perl hence the question.

TIA

Dave Saville

recompile the perl binary.

I was hoping you were not going to say that as it is a binary distro.
Problem is, I have the same compiler etc. but all the libs. compiler
switches, paths etc. are for the machine that built the binary not
mine. I was hoping I could edit something or run some script to fix
it. :-(

Jim Gibson

Dave Saville said:
I was hoping you were not going to say that as it is a binary distro.
Problem is, I have the same compiler etc. but all the libs. compiler
switches, paths etc. are for the machine that built the binary not
mine. I was hoping I could edit something or run some script to fix
it. :-(

You have encountered one disadvantage of using binary distributions.
The fix for installing XS modules is to:

1. Get the same compiler used to build the binary.
2. Build your own Perl.

#1 may not be feasible, but #2 usually is. Download the Perl source
from here:

<http://www.cpan.org/src/README.html>

and follow the directions in the README and one of the README.x files.
You should put the new Perl in a location unique from your existing
Perl, so that you do not overwrite your current working Perl
installation. Change your path and the first line of script files so
that you can use your new Perl version.

I've done it myself, so it can't be that hard!

Dave Saville

recompile the perl binary.

I wish. After a lot of faffing about I downloaded 5.12.3 and started
from
scratch.

Perl 5.12.3 won't build on EMX anymore. Needs some functionality that
is not there.

Tried using gcc 3.3.5 but got errors as the hints file is full of emx
stuff. I don't know enough to hack the hints file :-(

ping Ilya

Peter J. Holzer

I wish. After a lot of faffing about I downloaded 5.12.3 and started
from scratch.

Perl 5.12.3 won't build on EMX anymore. Needs some functionality that
is not there.

| EMX (Eberhard Mattes eXtender), a.k.a. emx+gcc, is a programming
| environment for DOS and OS/2.

???

Hmm, yeah. Platforms are only supported as long as somebody is willing
to support them. For a 32-bit extender for DOS and OS/2 you are very
likely one of the last few people who use it so the person who has to
support it is you.

The good thing about open source is that support cannot die as long as
there are users who are willing and able to support the project.

The bad thing is that support will die if there aren't any users who are
willing and able to support the project.
ping Ilya

Yes, Ilya might be the other remaining user of EMX ;-).

hp