C++ compiler recommendations

Jeremy Watts

Hi,

I'm completely new to C++ and wondered if anyone has a recommendation for a
C++ compiler

Thanks

ronnie.sunde

1) Windows PC:
- Compiler/Linker: numerous (MS Visual C++ is most common)
- SDK: MS Platform SDK + numerous other SDKs (DirectX / OpenGL etc)
- Debugger: usually come with the IDE, but others like WinDBG
- IDE: numerous (MS Visual Studio .NET 2003 is most common*)

2) Windows Mobile (PocketPC etc):
- Compiler/Linker: MS eMbedded VC++
- SDK: MS Windows CE SDK + GAPI and middleware etc
- Debugger: in IDE
- IDE: MS eMbedded or MSVC.NET 2005

3) Xbox:
- Compiler/Linker: MS VC++ .NET 2003
- SDK: MS XDK (Xbox Development Kit)
- Debugger: remote debugging extension to MSVC++ .NET 2003/XB Watson
- IDE: MSVC++.NET 2003

4) NGC:
- Compiler/Linker: SN Systems ProDG or Metrowerks CodeWarrior
- SDK: Nintendo Dolphin SDK
- Debugger: ProDG debugger or CodeWarrior debugger
- IDE for ProDG: MSVC++ 6 or .NET with VSI
- IDE for CodeWarrior: CodeWarrior's own

5) PS2:
- Compiler/Linker: SN Systems ProDG, Metrowerks CodeWarrior, GNU GCC
- SDK: SCE PS2 SDK
- Debugger: ProDG's or CodeWarrior's
- IDE for ProDG: MSVC++ w/VSI
- IDE for CodeWarrior: CodeWarrior's own

Bruce

MS VC++ is quite common on Win32 platforms and g++ is also a good
choice on GNU/Linux platforms.

Good luck and enjoy.

Dan Elliott

Starting with g++ will help prevent any brainwashing caused by the excessive
hand holding done by sophisticated IDEs like MS dev studio.