    of compliance?

    Regards,
    Saddam.
    Saddam Hussein, Oct 22, 2003

  2. "Saddam Hussein" <> wrote

    Is your name really "Saddam Hussein"?

    > in message news:...
    > Can someone please tell me about which is the best C++
    > compiler in terms of compliance to the ISO/IEC standard?
    >
    > I have heard that Comeau C++ is pretty good in this regard?

    Is that a statement or a question? Yes, Comeau is very
    conforming, and is allegedly the only compiler which
    implements all of standard C++. Usually, testing code
    against the online version is a good way to see what the
    standard has to say about the code.

    > Do you have an opinion on this?

    If we didn't, would you really want us to reply and say so?

    > How does it compare to g++ and VC++ in terms
    > of compliance?

    I think gcc 3.3 is pretty darned good. It also works out-of-
    the box on most *nixes. Comeau uses some other system
    compiler for the back end. gcc is probably still a little
    behind Comeau, but you'll be very hard pressed to find
    some useful, legal C++ that can't be made to work on gcc.
    VC++ has definitely made some improvements since 6.5,
    but in my opinion, it's not really there yet. It's my impression
    that people still use it because they have to, not because
    they want to (except for those that seem to like the IDE).
    Don't forget about Metrowerks, Intel, Borland, and all the
    other compilers out there. Supposedly Borland is working
    on a highly conforming compiler that you can look at in their
    CBX preview. I haven't gotten it yet, so I can't say how good
    it is.

    Dave

    ---
    David B. Held, Oct 22, 2003

  3. Saddam Hussein wrote:

    > Can someone please tell me about which is the best C++ compiler in
    > terms of compliance to the ISO/IEC standard?
    >
    > I have heard that Comeau C++ is pretty good in this regard? Do you
    > have an opinion on this? How does it compare to g++ and VC++ in terms
    > of compliance?

    What about other compilers: Borland, Metware, Arm, Green Hills,
    Solaris and Sun?

    Why is the PC the only platform?

    See my rant in the Welcome.txt link below.

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    Other sites:
    Thomas Matthews, Oct 22, 2003
  4. Saddam Hussein

    Jerry Coffin Guest

    In article <hiylb.10554$>,
    says...

    [ ... ]

    > > I have heard that Comeau C++ is pretty good in this regard? Do you
    > > have an opinion on this? How does it compare to g++ and VC++ in terms
    > > of compliance?

    > What about other compilers: Borland, Metware, Arm, Green Hills,
    > Solaris and Sun?

    At least to my knowledge, Arm, Solaris and Sun aren't compilers -- Arm
    and Sun are companies and Solaris is an operating system.

    Borland and Green Hills are both substantially inferior to Comeau in
    terms of conformance. Metaware probably is as well, but I haven't
    looked recently enough to be sure.

    > Why is the PC the only platform?

    The _only_ compiler he mentioned that's restricted to the PC is VC++;
    both Comeau and g++ are available for a wide variety of platforms.

    > See my rant in the Welcome.txt link below.

    IMO, you'd do well to rant a bit less and think a bit more.

    In the end, you're probably right: he probably is interested in a
    compiler for the platform he's using, and anybody with a minimal
    knowledge of statistics can guess that's probably from MS. While I can
    sympathize to a degree with your apparent wish to advocate for platform
    of your choice rather than his, it's clearly not topical here.

    --
    Later,
    Jerry.

    Jerry Coffin, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Saddam Hussein

    P.J. Plauger Guest

    "Jerry Coffin" <> wrote in message

    > Borland and Green Hills are both substantially inferior to Comeau in
    > terms of conformance. Metaware probably is as well, but I haven't
    > looked recently enough to be sure.

    Don't know why you put Green Hills in this list. They too use the
    EDG front end, same as Comeau. It's true they haven't shipped the
    latest version from EDG that implements export templates, but I
    have trouble with the notion that their front end is 'substantially
    inferior' to the latest. If you're talking about code generator bugs,
    I've found very few of them (and Green Hills knows about them, of
    course). And if you're talking about the library, I have reasons to
    believe that the one shipped by Green Hills is completely conforming.
    You can get such a library for Comeau, but it's an add-on.

    BTW, Borland has licensed both EDG and Dinkumware technology, so you
    can expect some highly conforming offerings from them in the near
    future.

    P.J. Plauger
    Dinkumware, Ltd.
    http://www.dinkumware.com
    P.J. Plauger, Oct 22, 2003
  6. Saddam Hussein

    Jerry Coffin Guest

    In article <x6Alb.17852$>,
    says...

    [ ... ]

    > Don't know why you put Green Hills in this list. They too use the
    > EDG front end, same as Comeau. It's true they haven't shipped the
    > latest version from EDG that implements export templates, but I
    > have trouble with the notion that their front end is 'substantially
    > inferior' to the latest.

    You're right -- "substantial" is overstating things, and I apologize for
    that. I think pretty much everybody involved would agree that it's
    inferior, but normally the degree of difference is quite small.

    > BTW, Borland has licensed both EDG and Dinkumware technology, so you
    > can expect some highly conforming offerings from them in the near
    > future.

    I look forward to seeing it -- at one time I was quite a fan of Borland.

    --
    Later,
    Jerry.

    Jerry Coffin, Oct 22, 2003
  7. "P.J. Plauger" <> wrote in message
    > [...]
    > BTW, Borland has licensed both EDG and Dinkumware
    > technology, so you can expect some highly conforming
    > offerings from them in the near future.

    Wow, they didn't make you sign an NDA about this?? That's
    more info than Borland would ever release through official
    channels. It's good news, no doubt, but too little too late
    for people who are married to the VCL. It also explains
    why they are moving to a pure C++ GUI framework.

    Dave

    ---
    David B. Held, Oct 23, 2003
  8. Saddam Hussein

    P.J. Plauger Guest

    "David B. Held" <> wrote in message

    > "P.J. Plauger" <> wrote in message
    > > [...]
    > > BTW, Borland has licensed both EDG and Dinkumware
    > > technology, so you can expect some highly conforming
    > > offerings from them in the near future.

    > Wow, they didn't make you sign an NDA about this?? That's
    > more info than Borland would ever release through official
    > channels.

    Steve Adamczyk, President of Edison Design Group, and I will
    be giving a joint presentation on C/C++ standards at Borcon
    on Monday, 3 November. Borland certainly isn't making a secret
    about their interest in standards conformance these days, or
    who they're working with to improve it. Other details about
    their products and release plans are, of course, for Borland
    to disclose.

    > It's good news, no doubt, but too little too late
    > for people who are married to the VCL. It also explains
    > why they are moving to a pure C++ GUI framework.

    Just watch for their annouoncements and keep an open mind.

    P.J. Plauger
    Dinkumware, Ltd.
    http://www.dinkumware.com
    P.J. Plauger, Oct 23, 2003
  9. Saddam Hussein

    Greg Comeau Guest

    In article <>,
    Saddam Hussein <> wrote:
    >Can someone please tell me about which is the best C++ compiler in
    >terms of compliance to the ISO/IEC standard?
    >
    >I have heard that Comeau C++ is pretty good in this regard? Do you
    >have an opinion on this? How does it compare to g++ and VC++ in terms
    >of compliance?

    Choosing Comeau C++ with the Dinkumware library will give you
    the compliance it seems you are seeking, and both are available
    for a number of platforms.
    --
    Greg Comeau/4.3.3:Full C++03 core language + more Windows backends
    Greg Comeau, Oct 28, 2003