    I would like to know more about design patterns and specifically using C#.

    Can any one recommend a good book?

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?bWF2cmlja18xMDE=?=, May 2, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bWF2cmlja18xMDE=?=

    sloan Guest

    Uh.

    C# Design Patterns (A Tutorial)
    James W Cooper

    Its sitting here on my desk, btw.

    Most examples are good. I find its example of the Abstract Factory Pattern
    a little confusing for non-swimmers.

    sloan, May 2, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?bWF2cmlja18xMDE=?=

    Doogie Guest

    Doogie, May 2, 2007
  4. Thanks for your responses.

    I would go for the website first and then think about the book.

    Looking at amazon.com I get the following order of book (sorted by people
    recommendations...)

    Head First Design Patterns (Head First) [ILLUSTRATED] (Paperback)
    by Elisabeth Freeman (Author), Eric Freeman (Author), Bert Bates (Author),
    Kathy Sierra (Author)
    191 4.5

    Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture (Hardcover)
    by Martin Fowler (Author)
    53 4.5

    Design Patterns C# (Hardcover)
    by Steven John Metsker (Author)
    27 3.5

    Agile Principles, Patterns, and Practices in C# (Robert C. Martin Series)
    11 4.5

    Thanks again.

    =?Utf-8?B?bWF2cmlja18xMDE=?=, May 2, 2007
  5. Good free resource:
    www.dofactory.com

    Look at the Developer resources section.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), May 2, 2007
  6. Head First is not C# specific, but it is a great resource. Very easy read.
    Great book to start.

    The Gang of Four book is also great, but very dry. I would look at
    www.dofactory.com first, as it breaks down patterns. I recently wrote a blog
    entry on patterns (specifically a pattern someone munged and why you should
    not do this).

    Microsoft Patterns and Practices (http://msdn.microsoft.com/patterns) has
    some good free, downloadable docs. Most deal with Enterprise Patterns and
    not language design patterns.

    Design Patterns in C# is a good book for those focusing on C#. I am not as
    fond of the book as some, but it is a good resource for understanding in C#
    what patterns are, so I will not diss the book either. :)

    Agile Principles, Patterns, and Practices in C# - Great book. It is perhaps
    a bit too UML focused for one using Team System, but it is a great book on
    both Agile methods and Patterns (and includes patterns beyond the simple
    design patterns).

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), May 2, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?bWF2cmlja18xMDE=?=

    sloan Guest

    HeadFirst is a great book (as already said).

    If you get the HeadFirst book, you can get code samples (<$100 I think) from
    dofactory.com
    which mimick the HeadFirst examples in C# (or vb.net).

    The HeadFirst examples are in Java, but minus the Observer Pattern (because
    dotnet has a "built in" observer pattern with delegates/events), you can
    easily understand the basic syntax java code.

    message news:...

    sloan, May 2, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?bWF2cmlja18xMDE=?=

    sloan Guest

    I'd get the Head First (first), and then see what you think.

    I have about 8 design pattern books. 1 in java, most c#, some vb.net.

    No single one does it for me. The java book I have does a great job on the
    Abstract Factory Pattern.

    Check ebay also. I picked up 2 from there, pretty dirt cheap.

    This one I got had a chinese cover, and english pages. It was marked as
    such. I think it was a manufacture error.
    But I picked up some tidbits from it.

    sloan, May 2, 2007