    another site with documentation that explained the stuff and not just
    display the declarations. I forgot which site that was and I forgot what
    terms I put in Google to find it.

    Schala Zeal, Feb 7, 2010

  2. Schala Zeal wrote:
    > I was wondering if there was a site with reliable documentation covering
    > the C embed API? The one on ruby-lang.org is near useless as it was
    > simply generated without commentary. I could have sworn there was
    > another site with documentation that explained the stuff and not just
    > display the declarations. I forgot which site that was and I forgot what
    > terms I put in Google to find it.

    The word 'reliable' is a bit problematic in this case, no docs I found
    so far are something I would like to call that. I had a hard time to
    figuring the stuff out to embed ruby into my window manager
    (http://subtle.subforge.org).

    During the time I learned a lot from following urls:

    http://www.eqqon.com/index.php/Ruby/Ruby_V1.9_C_Extension
    http://metaeditor.sourceforge.net/embed/
    http://banisterfiend.wordpress.com/

    I started to write down common pitfalls with embedding ruby today
    (http://subforge.org/blogs) and will also help if you have any questions
    I can answer.

    Christoph Kappel, Feb 7, 2010

  3. Schala Zeal

    ¼ÖèÉ Guest

    I think the book Programming Ruby 1.9 from the pragmatic programmers
    will help a lot.

    And from my own experience, it is important to understand that writing
    ruby extensions and embedding ruby interpreter are the same in
    reality.

    ¼ÖèÉ, Feb 7, 2010
  4. Schala Zeal

    Schala Zeal Guest

    贾枭 wrote:
    > I think the book Programming Ruby 1.9 from the pragmatic programmers
    > will help a lot.
    >
    > And from my own experience, it is important to understand that writing
    > ruby extensions and embedding ruby interpreter are the same in
    > reality.
    >
    > 2010/2/8 Christoph Kappel <>:

    I guessed that much. I mean if a language can be extended by C, C should
    be able to use it embedded.

    Schala Zeal, Feb 8, 2010
  5. Schala Zeal wrote:
    > I was wondering if there was a site with reliable documentation covering
    > the C embed API? The one on ruby-lang.org is near useless as it was
    > simply generated without commentary. I could have sworn there was
    > another site with documentation that explained the stuff and not just
    > display the declarations. I forgot which site that was and I forgot what
    > terms I put in Google to find it.

    This one?

    http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/html/ext_ruby.html

    That's from a very old version of the book (covering ruby 1.6.8) but the
    fundamentals are the same. Or you can buy a later version as PDF or dead
    tree.

    Brian Candler, Feb 8, 2010
  6. Schala Zeal

    Schala Zeal Guest

    Schala Zeal, Feb 8, 2010
  7. Schala Zeal

    Tony Arcieri Guest

    Unless there's a magic API I'm not aware of, Ruby doesn't have anything like
    this. MRI uses globals which can make embedding difficult and will
    certainly prevent you from running multiple copies of the same VM within a
    single process image.

    I know people using an embedded Ruby interpreter, and the general take is:
    not fun.

    If you really want to use Ruby within your application, I'd suggest starting
    a copy of the Ruby interpreter in another process and talking over pipes.

    On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Schala Zeal <>wrote:

    > I was wondering if there was a site with reliable documentation covering
    > the C embed API? The one on ruby-lang.org is near useless as it was
    > simply generated without commentary. I could have sworn there was
    > another site with documentation that explained the stuff and not just
    > display the declarations. I forgot which site that was and I forgot what
    > terms I put in Google to find it.

    Tony Arcieri
    Medioh! A Kudelski Brand

    Tony Arcieri, Feb 8, 2010
  8. Schala Zeal

    Schala Zeal Guest

    You know... I was considering right now about using C# instead of C/C++.
    My main target audience use Windows. For Linux/Mac, perhaps Mono, but
    I've only used version 1.0 of that for development several years ago and
    it was rather slow, compiling and running.

    Does anyone have an opinion on this?

    Schala Zeal, Feb 9, 2010
  9. Schala Zeal

    Seebs Guest

    On 2010-02-09, Schala Zeal <> wrote:
    > You know... I was considering right now about using C# instead of C/C++.
    > My main target audience use Windows. For Linux/Mac, perhaps Mono, but
    > I've only used version 1.0 of that for development several years ago and
    > it was rather slow, compiling and running.
    >
    > Does anyone have an opinion on this?

    I would not consider C# to be portable past Windows, which for me would
    be a dealbreaker. (Also, if I had my choice of companies on whose code
    base and API to bet my future, it would not be Microsoft. They have too
    often said "here is the One True API, code to this and we'll support it
    forever" and then killed it a year or two later.)

    -s

    Seebs, Feb 9, 2010
  10. Schala Zeal

    Tony Arcieri Guest

    On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Schala Zeal <>wrote:

    > You know... I was considering right now about using C# instead of C/C++.
    > My main target audience use Windows. For Linux/Mac, perhaps Mono, but
    > I've only used version 1.0 of that for development several years ago and
    > it was rather slow, compiling and running.
    >
    > Does anyone have an opinion on this?

    I hear IronRuby's fairly good (i.e. Ruby for .NET), and it would make
    integration a hell of a lot easier than trying to integrate MRI into your
    C/C++ code.

    --
    Tony Arcieri
    Medioh! A Kudelski Brand

    Tony Arcieri, Feb 9, 2010
  11. Schala Zeal

    Schala Zeal Guest

    Seebs wrote:
    > On 2010-02-09, Schala Zeal <> wrote:
    >> You know... I was considering right now about using C# instead of C/C++.
    >> My main target audience use Windows. For Linux/Mac, perhaps Mono, but
    >> I've only used version 1.0 of that for development several years ago and
    >> it was rather slow, compiling and running.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have an opinion on this?

    > I would not consider C# to be portable past Windows, which for me would
    > be a dealbreaker. (Also, if I had my choice of companies on whose code
    > base and API to bet my future, it would not be Microsoft. They have too
    > often said "here is the One True API, code to this and we'll support it
    > forever" and then killed it a year or two later.)
    >
    > -s

    MFC, Win32, and DirectX have been around for a while, no?

    Schala Zeal, Feb 9, 2010
  12. Schala Zeal

    Schala Zeal Guest

    Tony Arcieri wrote:
    > On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Schala Zeal
    > <>wrote:
    >
    >> You know... I was considering right now about using C# instead of C/C++.
    >> My main target audience use Windows. For Linux/Mac, perhaps Mono, but
    >> I've only used version 1.0 of that for development several years ago and
    >> it was rather slow, compiling and running.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have an opinion on this?
    >>

    > I hear IronRuby's fairly good (i.e. Ruby for .NET), and it would make
    > integration a hell of a lot easier than trying to integrate MRI into
    > your
    > C/C++ code.

    Nice! Uhm... I used Allegro (http://alleg.sf.net) for my gaming API, and
    well... what would be a good choice for .NET? There's likely no DirectX
    for Mono, and Allegro's .NET binding is outdated.

    Schala Zeal, Feb 9, 2010
  13. Schala Zeal

    Seebs Guest

    On 2010-02-09, Schala Zeal <> wrote:
    > MFC, Win32, and DirectX have been around for a while, no?

    Win32 is old news, it's been .NET for a while. Before that it was OS/2 that
    was the next target that all MS-platform developers should be looking at.
    And I think there's been more shifts than that, but some are not especially
    visible from the outside.

    -s

    Seebs, Feb 9, 2010
  14. Schala Zeal wrote:
    > You know... I was considering right now about using C# instead of C/C++.
    > My main target audience use Windows. For Linux/Mac, perhaps Mono, but
    > I've only used version 1.0 of that for development several years ago and
    > it was rather slow, compiling and running.
    >
    > Does anyone have an opinion on this?

    Use something portable. It will make it easier to provide other
    versions later. That probably means not C#, unless Mono will work for
    what you're doing.

    Best,
    --
    Marnen Laibow-Koser