    Thanks,
    Casey

    , Jan 3, 2008

  2. Russ P. Guest

    Well, if the good folks at comp.lang.c++ can't even direct you to an
    appropriate forum on C++, then I doubt the folks at comp.lang.python
    can. I suggest you abandon C++ and try Python, Java, or Ada.

    Russ P., Jan 4, 2008

  3. Russ P. wrote:

    >> make sense either. As an example, I was recently trying to get
    >> information about writing cross-platform code for dynamic linking, but
    >> I couldn't find anywhere appropriate to ask about it.

    > Well, if the good folks at comp.lang.c++ can't even direct you to an
    > appropriate forum on C++, then I doubt the folks at comp.lang.python
    > can. I suggest you abandon C++ and try Python, Java, or Ada.

    note that for his specific example, we would of course direct him to the
    relevant portions of the CPython source code.

    </F>

    Fredrik Lundh, Jan 4, 2008
  4. Leo Jay Guest

    On Jan 4, 2008 1:39 AM, <> wrote:
    > Hopefully this isn't too OT.
    >
    > One thing I like about comp.lang.python is the breadth of topics
    > discussed here. People can ask about Python installation and
    > configuration issues on specific platforms, compare third party
    > libraries, ask for book recommendations, and discuss current Python
    > projects. Lurking here has greatly increased my understanding of
    > Python over the last year or so.
    >
    > I also do a lot of C++ development, but I've never found a similar
    > discussion group for that language. comp.lang.c++ isn't what I'm
    > looking for. I find it hard to get practical advice on that group
    > because its focus is so narrow. I frequently see posters there
    > redirect people to one of the OS-specific C++ groups, but most of my
    > projects are cross-platform, so hanging out on one of those doesn't

    if you can't use the standard library or any existing third-party library
    to solve your problem, that's platform specific. so, find the right group
    and ask there.

    > make sense either. As an example, I was recently trying to get
    > information about writing cross-platform code for dynamic linking, but
    > I couldn't find anywhere appropriate to ask about it.

    as to dynamic linking, afaik, i don't think you can deal with it in a
    consistent way. you'd better find a third-party library or handle all platforms
    one by one manually.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Leo Jay