C++ Exceptions Cause Performance Hit?

Discussion in 'C++' started by kk_oop@yahoo.com, Jul 13, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi. I wanted to use exceptions to handle error conditions in my code.
    I think doing that is useful, as it helps to separate "go" paths from
    error paths. However, a coding guideline has been presented that says
    "Use conventional error-handling techniques rather than exception
    handling for straightforward local error processing in which a program
    is easily able to deal with its own errors."

    By "conventional error-handling," I believe they mean returning an
    error code, or just handling the error without going to a catch block.

    When I said that I'd prefer throwing and catching exceptions--and that,
    in fact, exceptions is the "conventional error-handling technique" in
    C++, I was told that since we have a real-time system, we can't afford
    the performance hit caused by using exceptions.

    Do exception blocks cause big performance hits? If so, what causes the
    hit? Or is the person just misinformed?

    Thanks for any info,

    Ken

    , Jul 13, 2005

  2. Artie Gold Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi. I wanted to use exceptions to handle error conditions in my code.
    > I think doing that is useful, as it helps to separate "go" paths from
    > error paths. However, a coding guideline has been presented that says
    > "Use conventional error-handling techniques rather than exception
    > handling for straightforward local error processing in which a program
    > is easily able to deal with its own errors."

    The key word here is *local*. Throwing an exception is essentially a
    non-local `go to' that does the appropriate bookkeeping -- at the cost
    of setting up that bookkeeping.

    > By "conventional error-handling," I believe they mean returning an
    > error code, or just handling the error without going to a catch block.

    That is correct.

    > When I said that I'd prefer throwing and catching exceptions--and that,
    > in fact, exceptions is the "conventional error-handling technique" in
    > C++, I was told that since we have a real-time system, we can't afford
    > the performance hit caused by using exceptions.
    >
    > Do exception blocks cause big performance hits? If so, what causes the
    > hit? Or is the person just misinformed?

    The cost is (the compiler) setting up the bookkeeping information
    necessary to make the non-local jump (in order call all necessary
    destructors for any locally created objects). When an error can be dealt
    with locally (i.e. there's no need to explicitly propagate the error as
    deep call stack unwinds) it is worth doing so. If, on the other hand,
    the call stack *is* deep, the use of exceptions (naturally, in
    *exceptional* situations), while having a cost, makes the code
    conceptually much clearer. As with anything else, it's a trade off.

    HTH,
    --ag

    [c.l.c.m elided]
    --
    Artie Gold -- Austin, Texas
    http://www.cafepress.com/goldsays
    Artie Gold, Jul 13, 2005

    ?

    > However, a coding guideline has been presented that says
    > "Use conventional error-handling techniques rather than exception handling
    > for straightforward local error processing
    > in which a program is easily able to deal with its own errors."

    That's vague but possibly sound advice.

    > By "conventional error-handling,"
    > I believe they mean returning an error code
    > or just handling the error without going to a catch block.

    You had better ask for some clarification on this.

    Exceptions (what you call errors) should be handled
    at the point where they are first detected if possible.
    If they can't be completely handled
    in the function where they are first detected,
    you *must* create an exception object
    which contains all of the information required
    to handle the exception in the calling program
    and return or throw the exception object.
    In some cases, an error code may be sufficient
    to contain all of the information
    required to handle the exception.
    If not, you may need a more complicated exception object.

    > When I said that I'd prefer throwing and catching exceptions and that,
    > in fact, exceptions [are] the "conventional error-handling technique" in C++,
    > I was told that, since we have a real-time system,
    > we can't afford the performance hit caused by using exceptions.
    >
    > Do exception blocks cause big performance hits?
    > If so, what causes the hit?
    > Or is the person just misinformed?

    Again, you should ask for clarification.
    Exceptions do *not* affect performance
    unless an exception is encountered
    and then they are probably just about as efficient
    as any so-called conventional error-handling technique.
    The problem with real-time programming is that
    you *must* know how long it takes to execute your code.
    If any of your exception (error) handling is on the critical path,
    you must be able to establish an upper bound
    for the time that it will take to complete.
    I suspect that your supervisor thinks (s)he knows how to do that
    for "conventional error-handling" but not
    for the C++ exception handling mechanism.

    Anyway, I used Google

    http://www.google.com/

    to search for

    +"real-time programming" +"C++ exception handling"

    and I found lots of stuff.
    E. Robert Tisdale, Jul 13, 2005
  4. John Carson Guest

    "E. Robert Tisdale" <> wrote in message
    > Exceptions do *not* affect performance
    > unless an exception is encountered

    That is compiler dependent. On VC++, there is a small performance cost even
    when exceptions are not thrown.

    --
    John Carson
    John Carson, Jul 13, 2005
  5. writes:

    > Hi. I wanted to use exceptions to handle error conditions in my code.
    > I think doing that is useful, as it helps to separate "go" paths from
    > error paths. However, a coding guideline has been presented that says
    > "Use conventional error-handling techniques rather than exception
    > handling for straightforward local error processing in which a program
    > is easily able to deal with its own errors."
    >
    > By "conventional error-handling," I believe they mean returning an
    > error code, or just handling the error without going to a catch block.
    >
    > When I said that I'd prefer throwing and catching exceptions--and that,
    > in fact, exceptions is the "conventional error-handling technique" in
    > C++, I was told that since we have a real-time system, we can't afford
    > the performance hit caused by using exceptions.
    >
    > Do exception blocks cause big performance hits? If so, what causes the
    > hit? Or is the person just misinformed?

    Whether or not they are misinformed may depend on your compiler, and
    it certainly depends on your definition of "big". Some relevant
    information is at:

    http://tinyurl.com/8rljh

    --
    Dave Abrahams
    Boost Consulting

    David Abrahams, Jul 14, 2005
  6. wrote:

    > When I said that I'd prefer throwing and catching exceptions--and that,
    > in fact, exceptions is the "conventional error-handling technique" in
    > C++, I was told that since we have a real-time system, we can't afford
    > the performance hit caused by using exceptions.
    >
    > Do exception blocks cause big performance hits? If so, what causes the
    > hit? Or is the person just misinformed?

    I think the key here is "real-time system". The definition of performance in
    real-time systems is slightly different. Real-time systems have to react in
    a defined absolute time, in all cases.

    I think that this is hard to guarantee when using exceptions (but probably
    not impossible).

    Exception performance depends on the compilers implementation of exceptions.
    In the best case code that uses exceptions is faster in the "normal" (i.e.
    no exception thrown) code path, but throwing an exceptions causes
    overhead.

    In most systems this is what you want. In real-time systems this additional
    overhead can break your "reaction-time" guarantee

    HTH

    Fabio

    Fabio Fracassi, Jul 14, 2005
  7. <> wrote in message

    > Do exception blocks cause big performance hits? If so, what causes the
    > hit? Or is the person just misinformed?

    Ideally you shouldn't have any overhead until the error occurs and exception
    is actually thrown. But you need to do experiments with your compiler to
    know for sure. I think most (all) compilers create some sort of exception
    prolog for functions that may need stack unwinding when an exception is
    thrown. How big an overhead does it introduce? My testing with VC7.1 on
    several "tight" programs didn't show any impact of enabling/disabling
    exceptions on run time as long as there are no errors and therefore no
    exceptions. Throwing an exception can be expensive, but the functions that
    return error codes should also do something with them, and in non-trivial
    cases should clean up resources and propagate error codes to the site where
    they can be processed. It may not be less expensive at all. Moreover, such
    code quickly becomes unmaintainable, with convoluted control paths, and
    flaky. As a result error codes are routinely ignored and error conditions
    are not processed correctly. So there isn't really any alternative to
    exceptions if you want to write safe and clear code.

    - gene

    Gene Bushuyev, Jul 14, 2005
  8. On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:17:39 +0400, <> wrote:

    []

    > Do exception blocks cause big performance hits? If so, what causes the
    > hit? Or is the person just misinformed?

    It's pretty much compiler specific. A good discussion about the issues can
    be found in the paper at http://netlab.ru.is/exception/LinuxCXX.shtml

    --
    Maxim Yegorushkin
    <>

    Maxim Yegorushkin, Jul 14, 2005
  9. lilburne Guest

    John Carson wrote:

    > "E. Robert Tisdale" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Exceptions do *not* affect performance
    >> unless an exception is encountered

    > That is compiler dependent. On VC++, there is a small performance cost
    > even when exceptions are not thrown.

    The main performance drag in error handling is the test for the error
    condition. Remove the test and the need to handle exceptions goes away.
    lilburne, Jul 14, 2005
  10. On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:01:57 +0400, Gene Bushuyev <>
    wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Do exception blocks cause big performance hits? If so, what causes the
    >> hit? Or is the person just misinformed?

    > Ideally you shouldn't have any overhead until the error occurs and
    > exception
    > is actually thrown. But you need to do experiments with your compiler to
    > know for sure. I think most (all) compilers create some sort of exception
    > prolog for functions that may need stack unwinding when an exception is
    > thrown.

    Please define that "most". This is true for MSVC, and false for g++.

    > ... Moreover, such
    > code quickly becomes unmaintainable, with convoluted control paths, and
    > flaky. As a result error codes are routinely ignored and error conditions
    > are not processed correctly.

    This is all fud and red herring we are all tired of.

    --
    Maxim Yegorushkin
    <>

    Maxim Yegorushkin, Jul 14, 2005
  11. "Gene Bushuyev" <> writes:

    > <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Do exception blocks cause big performance hits? If so, what causes the
    >> hit? Or is the person just misinformed?

    > Ideally you shouldn't have any overhead until the error occurs and exception
    > is actually thrown. But you need to do experiments with your compiler to
    > know for sure. I think most (all) compilers create some sort of exception
    > prolog for functions that may need stack unwinding when an exception is
    > thrown.

    No, not "all," and IMO not even "most," but it probably depends on how
    you count. A few do.

    > How big an overhead does it introduce? My testing with VC7.1

    That one does on IA32, but not IA64.

    > on several "tight" programs didn't show any impact of
    > enabling/disabling exceptions on run time as long as there are no
    > errors and therefore no exceptions.

    I agree with almost everything below...

    > Throwing an exception can be expensive, but the functions that
    > return error codes should also do something with them, and in
    > non-trivial cases should clean up resources and propagate error
    > codes to the site where they can be processed. It may not be less
    > expensive at all. Moreover, such code quickly becomes
    > unmaintainable, with convoluted control paths, and flaky. As a
    > result error codes are routinely ignored and error conditions are
    > not processed correctly. So there isn't really any alternative to
    > exceptions if you want to write safe and clear code.

    .....except for that. Exceptions have great benefits in those areas,
    but _that_ is overstating the case a bit.

    --
    Dave Abrahams
    Boost Consulting

    David Abrahams, Jul 14, 2005
  12. RH Guest

    >From the compiler's perspective, in the presence of exceptions (haven't
    been disabled via command line), in the control flow graph (CFG) every
    function call site gets an additional edge to a corresponding landing
    pad (all implementation dependent, different nomenclature is used),
    corresponding to the code that perform necessary cleanup code or
    dispatch to the corresponding try blocks.

    This can lead to missed other optimization opportunities. For example,
    if such a call is in a loop, this loop now has an additional exit, and
    certain transformation might just bail in such a scenario.

    So, assuming one has a compiler with a no overhead implementation for
    cases where no exception is thrown (which should be the default for
    about every compiler out there by now) the overall performance question
    - is very much benchmark dependent.

    In our compiler lab, we try to compiler benchmarks with and without
    exceptions - and always find some unexpected behavior. Some programs
    get faster, others slower, sometimes caused by above mentioned
    problems, sometimes by compiler problems - always interesting.

    Exceptions are supposed to occur, well, under exceptional circumstances
    only. I have seen people using them to get regular control flow... ;-)

    RH, Jul 15, 2005
  13. John Carson Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi. I wanted to use exceptions to handle error conditions in my code.
    > I think doing that is useful, as it helps to separate "go" paths from
    > error paths. However, a coding guideline has been presented that says
    > "Use conventional error-handling techniques rather than exception
    > handling for straightforward local error processing in which a program
    > is easily able to deal with its own errors."

    On one interpretation, this is not necessarily bad advice. If, for example,
    function processing user input can deal with invalid user input by prompting
    the user to try again, then this is perfectly sensible. Exceptions are most
    useful when errors cannot be dealt with locally and so the problem needs to
    be propagated upwards until a point is reached where the error can be
    handled.

    > By "conventional error-handling," I believe they mean returning an
    > error code, or just handling the error without going to a catch block.
    >
    > When I said that I'd prefer throwing and catching exceptions--and
    > that, in fact, exceptions is the "conventional error-handling
    > technique" in C++, I was told that since we have a real-time system,
    > we can't afford the performance hit caused by using exceptions.
    >
    > Do exception blocks cause big performance hits? If so, what causes
    > the hit? Or is the person just misinformed?

    That is compiler specific. I suggest you run some tests to see what sort of
    performance hit you get on your system. Note that other forms of error
    handling carry their own performance costs.

    --
    John Carson

    John Carson, Jul 15, 2005
  14. On 13 Jul 2005 12:17:39 -0400, wrote:

    >I was told that since we have a real-time system, we can't afford
    >the performance hit caused by using exceptions.

    Speaking from 10 years experience writing real time apps, I will say
    that if your "real time" system really *is*, then I'm surprised it
    would be using (m)any of the advanced features of C++ in the first
    place. Virtual function calls, dynamic heap allocation and exception
    handling are all, at best, problematic for verifying performance of
    real time code.

    I am *not* saying C++ is the wrong tool for such programming ... only
    that it must be used judiciously. Many of the standard idioms and
    practices are better suited for general application programming than
    for real time programming. I'm not going to defend this point of view
    here ... feel free to browse comp.arch.embedded for more than you ever
    wanted to know about using C++ for real time programming.

    >Do exception blocks cause big performance hits? If so, what causes the
    >hit? Or is the person just misinformed?

    The general thinking about exceptions views them as a rather low
    frequency signal event rather than a standard control mechanism.
    Exceptions were intended to provide a clean alternate path for error
    handling ... which by itself implies no preference for the execution
    path ... however, the working presumption has always been that the
    error path was taken [much] less frequently.

    Because of the presumption of infrequent use, many compiler vendors
    did not put a lot of effort into making exception handling fast. This
    makes exceptions more difficult to use in code which is routinely
    expected to suffer failures - such as networking and hardware control
    applications.

    George
    --
    for email reply remove "/" from address

    George Neuner, Jul 15, 2005
  15. In article <>, George Neuner
    <gneuner2/@comcast.net> writes
    >Because of the presumption of infrequent use, many compiler vendors
    >did not put a lot of effort into making exception handling fast. This
    >makes exceptions more difficult to use in code which is routinely
    >expected to suffer failures - such as networking and hardware control
    >applications.

    I think that is false. Rather the implementers have made major efforts
    to minimise the cost for code that runs without raising an exception.
    Normal code will run as fast as possible and the footprint will be kept
    as small as possible. Those are the primary objectives for most
    implementers. If possible the entire costs of an exception are paid when
    an exception is actually raised. This cost will almost inevitably be
    high. However, given that the program is in a problem state there seems
    no reason to spend development resources reducing that cost when it
    would likely remain high even with the most sophisticated
    implementation.

    In general programmers want normal code to run fast and in a small
    space. It has always been made clear that the exception mechanism is NOT
    intended as an alternative general return mechanism.

    --
    Francis Glassborow ACCU
    Author of 'You Can Do It!' see http://www.spellen.org/youcandoit

    Francis Glassborow, Jul 15, 2005

    RH wrote:
    > From the compiler's perspective, in the presence of exceptions
    > (haven't been disabled via command line), in the control flow
    > graph (CFG) every function call site gets an additional edge
    > to a corresponding landing pad (all implementation dependent,
    > different nomenclature is used), corresponding to the code
    > that perform necessary cleanup code or dispatch to the
    > corresponding try blocks.

    > This can lead to missed other optimization opportunities. For
    > example, if such a call is in a loop, this loop now has an
    > additional exit, and certain transformation might just bail in
    > such a scenario.

    This is quite true in theory. In practice, however, I suspect
    that there are very few, if any, compilers which optimize to a
    point where this makes a difference.

    Another point to keep in mind (although it probably isn't
    relevant to embedded systems) is that exceptions make it very
    easy for the compiler to isolate the clean-up code which is
    called in the error case. This can, in turn, result if smaller
    functions, increasing the probability of the function fitting
    entirely in the cache.

    In the end, you don't know until you've benchmarked. (EXcept
    that as far as I know, the compilers I use don't allow turning
    exceptions off.)

    --
    James Kanze GABI Software

    , Jul 15, 2005
  17. George Neuner wrote:

    > Because of the presumption of infrequent use, many compiler vendors
    > did not put a lot of effort into making exception handling fast. This
    > makes exceptions more difficult to use in code which is routinely
    > expected to suffer failures - such as networking and hardware control
    > applications.

    If I expect that some result occurs frequently as part of the normal usage,
    I don't consider it exceptional, and then I do not use a exception for it.

    --
    Salu2

    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo, Jul 15, 2005
  18. Francis Glassborow <> writes:

    > In article <>, George Neuner
    > <gneuner2/@comcast.net> writes
    >>Because of the presumption of infrequent use, many compiler vendors
    >>did not put a lot of effort into making exception handling fast. This
    >>makes exceptions more difficult to use in code which is routinely
    >>expected to suffer failures - such as networking and hardware control
    >>applications.

    > I think that is false.

    Not from what I hear.

    > Rather the implementers have made major efforts
    > to minimise the cost for code that runs without raising an exception.
    > Normal code will run as fast as possible and the footprint will be kept
    > as small as possible. Those are the primary objectives for most
    > implementers. If possible the entire costs of an exception are paid when
    > an exception is actually raised. This cost will almost inevitably be
    > high. However, given that the program is in a problem state there seems
    > no reason to spend development resources reducing that cost when it
    > would likely remain high even with the most sophisticated
    > implementation.
    >
    > In general programmers want normal code to run fast and in a small
    > space. It has always been made clear that the exception mechanism is NOT
    > intended as an alternative general return mechanism.

    In a true real-time system, completing any operation in bounded and
    well-understood time is crucial. If you use exception handling, you
    are expecting to be able to handle exceptions and recover in a
    reasonable way, or there's no point in writing the exception-handling
    code in the first place. So "problem state" (whatever that means) or
    no, it's important that throwing and handling an exception has
    predictable performance in a real-time system.

    All that said, I don't see why it should be so hard to measure the
    performance of those exceptional paths and make an informed decision
    on acceptability.

    --
    Dave Abrahams
    Boost Consulting

    David Abrahams, Jul 15, 2005
  19. msalters Guest

    RH schreef:
    > >From the compiler's perspective, in the presence of exceptions (haven't

    > been disabled via command line), in the control flow graph (CFG) every
    > function call site gets an additional edge to a corresponding landing
    > pad (all implementation dependent, different nomenclature is used),
    > corresponding to the code that perform necessary cleanup code or
    > dispatch to the corresponding try blocks.
    >
    > This can lead to missed other optimization opportunities. For example,
    > if such a call is in a loop, this loop now has an additional exit, and
    > certain transformation might just bail in such a scenario.

    No, it doesn't have an additional exit. The "error return value" case
    will have an 'if( value==bad ) break;' statement. That is the same
    exit from the loop.

    In addition, this exit is more clearly recognizable as exceptional if
    it's an exception. Which in turn means the compiler can put that
    part of the code aside, keeping the actual loop tight.

    Still: the best part of exceptions is a debugger with a 'break on
    exceptions' feature. Error returns cause a performance hit on my
    debugging time, and that's more than a few microseconds.

    Regards, Michiel Salters

    msalters, Jul 15, 2005
  20. On 15 Jul 2005 11:06:40 -0400, Julián Albo <>
    wrote:

    >George Neuner wrote:
    >
    >> Because of the presumption of infrequent use, many compiler vendors
    >> did not put a lot of effort into making exception handling fast. This
    >> makes exceptions more difficult to use in code which is routinely
    >> expected to suffer failures - such as networking and hardware control
    >> applications.

    >If I expect that some result occurs frequently as part of the normal usage,
    >I don't consider it exceptional

    I agree with that philosophy. Personally I never equated the term
    "exception" with "error", to me it always meant "unexpected". As far
    as I'm concerned, predictable errors are not exceptions. However,
    other definitions prevailed.

    Anyway, the whole point of the exception mechanism was to clearly
    separate the success path from the failure path so that code could be
    written along each path assuming a particular program state and not
    having to write code for all cases at each state decision point.

    But, as I said previously, there was a presumption that the failure
    path was taken with low frequency. The problem with that approach is
    that there are applications for which failure is not only expected,
    but for which success is the rare case that occurs only if everything
    that could go wrong doesn't. Such applications are not rare and it
    should be distressing to everyone that the "conventional
    error-handling technique" [ OP's words ] in C++ is not well suited to
    use in them ... at least as it is currently implemented by most
    compilers.

    > and then I do not use a exception for it.

    But if you don't use the "conventional" techniques, the "standard"
    idioms and the "well known" patterns, then your code is harder for
    others to understand and maintain.

    FWIW: in such a case I wouldn't use exceptions either.

    George
    --
    for email reply remove "/" from address
    George Neuner, Jul 16, 2005