  1. Vivek

    Vivek Guest

    How can I get a C FAQ from by mail

    Vivek, Aug 20, 2003

  2. Vivek

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Mike Wahler <> wrote in message
    news:DRO0b.1076$...

    > Vivek <> wrote in message
    > > How can I get a C FAQ from by mail

    > What indicates to you that that option is available?
    > Try looking wherever that was.
    >
    > The C FAQ can be ftp'd from rtfm.mit.edu
    > or accessed via http
    > at http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
    >
    > -Mike

    Out of curiousity, I did some research on this
    (which you could as easily have done yourself).

    For the benefit of anyone else reading, here's
    what I did:

    I sent what I considered to be a 'garbage' message
    (I put 'blahblahblah' in the body) to that address,
    and as expected, I got back a message telling me I
    had errors in my request.

    Included in that message was:

    <quote>
    For general information on using the mail server, send a message
    to "" with a body of:

    help

    For a listing of top-level files and directories available at this
    site, send a message to "" with a body of:

    <end quote>

    I sent a 'help' and an 'index' message, which resulted
    in my receiving two messages which told me all I needed
    to know.

    After reading that, I sent a message to
    with a body containing the command:

    send usenet-by-group/comp.lang.c/C-FAQ-list

    I received the C FAQ, broken into six separate messages
    (which btw I found rather courteous, instead of sending
    me one huge message and 'bogging down' my other mail).

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Aug 20, 2003