    SL@maxis Guest

    Strange.

    Nobody talks about c-programming for Linux ?

    SL@maxis, Nov 22, 2012

  2. SL@maxis

    Lars Enderin Guest

    2012-11-22 07:19, SL@maxis skrev:

    > Strange.
    >
    > Nobody talks about c-programming for Linux ?

    Wrong group.

    --
    Lars Enderin

    Lars Enderin, Nov 22, 2012

  3. SL@maxis

    SL@maxis Guest

    On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 15:27:40 +0800, Lars Enderin <>
    wrote:

    > Wrong group.

    I mean there is no group on C/C++ programming for Linux ??

    SL@maxis, Nov 22, 2012
  4. SL@maxis

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 11/22/2012 8:39 AM, SL@maxis wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 15:27:40 +0800, Lars Enderin
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Wrong group.

    > I mean there is no group on C/C++ programming for Linux ??

    Maybe not.

    But there are both C, C++ and Linux groups.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Nov 22, 2012
  5. SL@maxis

    Ben Guest

    Have a look at comp.unix.programmer, Lot of C in that group!

    Ben, Nov 22, 2012
  6. SL@maxis

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 14:19:01 +0800, "SL@maxis" <>

    >Nobody talks about c-programming for Linux ?

    Not really. This is the Java newsgroup.

    Roedy Green, Nov 22, 2012
  7. On 11/22/2012 4:12 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 10:00:17 -0500, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >
    >> On 11/22/2012 8:39 AM, SL@maxis wrote:

    >>> I mean there is no group on C/C++ programming for Linux ??

    >> Maybe not.
    >>
    >> But there are both C, C++ and Linux groups.
    >>

    > What's there to talk about?
    >
    > Anybody claiming a good working knowledge of Linux is probably already a
    > decent C programmer

    Not necessarily today.

    And even decent programmers may have a few questions.

    > and almost anything Linux-specific you'd need to know
    > is covered in remarkably few books:
    >
    > - "UNIX Systems Programming for SVR4" (the O'reilly "Lion" book) is still
    > directly applicable to modern Linuxes.
    >
    > - section 2 of the man pages (of course)
    >
    > - "Lex & Yacc" (O'Reilly) - equally good for Flex and Bison
    >
    > - "Pthreads Programming" (O'Reilly)
    >

    > and, more generally
    >
    > - "The Practice of Programming" - Kernighan & Pike
    >
    > - "Algorithms" - Sedgewick
    >
    > The latter two are useful no matter what language you're writing in.
    > Kernighan & Pike is excellent for advice on writing well-structured
    > programs that are easy to maintain and debug - and there's even a bit of
    > Java in it.
    >
    > "Algorithms" is written in Pascal, but its good, clear well-explained
    > code and very easy to transcribe into other languages. It was recommended
    > to me by one of the best programmers I know and I've certainly found it
    > useful. It may not be a comprehensive as Knuth, but it occupies a lot
    > less shelf space and is rather cheaper, and I've found it more generally
    > useful than Wirth's "Algorithms + Data Structures = Programs".
    >
    > I assume that every C programmer has a copy of Kernighan & Richie's "The
    > C programming language".

    Looks like good books.

    But there are also other good books.

    Stevens' book on Unix programming.

    For C++ "Accelerated c++" and the two "Effective C++" books.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Nov 23, 2012
  8. SL@maxis

    SL@maxis Guest

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 05:12:52 +0800, Martin Gregorie
    <> wrote:

    > What's there to talk about?
    > I assume that every C programmer has a copy of Kernighan & Richie's "The
    > C programming language".

    Thanks. I wonder I have the time to "gather so much" like you.

    SL@maxis, Nov 23, 2012
  9. SL@maxis

    SL@maxis Guest

    On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 23:09:16 +0800, Ben <> wrote:

    > Have a look at comp.unix.programmer, Lot of C in that group!

    Thanks. I was a bit let down while looking high and low for "C/C++, linux".

    SL@maxis, Nov 23, 2012
  10. On 11/24/2012 11:40 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 20:37:31 -0500, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> For C++ "Accelerated c++" and the two "Effective C++" books.
    >>

    > I don't write C++. I have a copy of Stroustoup but found it much harder
    > to read than K&R.

    C++ is a lot more complex than C.

    No surprise that a C++ book is harder to read than a C book.

    > I tried to get into C++ but (a) didn't like it a lot and

    Not everyone does.

    > (b) found *huge*
    > binary bloat and rubbish performance.

    C++ programs tend to pull in a few MB of code. About 1 cent
    wort of RAM today.

    :)

    C++ compilers today should optimize fine in general. But obviously
    no guarantees.

    > Besides, almost every time I've
    > needed to read a C++ program I've discovered it to be essentially ANSI C
    > with // comments and not an object in sight.

    // comments and declarations in the middle of the code.

    I have seen that too.

    Note that both are actually part of C99.

    :)

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Nov 24, 2012
  11. SL@maxis

    SL@maxis Guest

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 00:18:18 +0800, Martin Gregorie
    <> wrote:

    >> Thanks. I wonder I have the time to "gather so much" like you.
    >>

    > I've been writing C for something like 25 years (and COBOL for the 15
    > before that) and tend to collect books. That short list is the stuff I've
    > settled on as the essentials for writing C in a *NIX environment.

    > - for Windows, you'll probably end up with half a shelf of stuff which is
    > likely to be incomplete, thanks to MS's fondness for undocumented
    > features. Been there, done that, still got the pile of moldering books.

    When I say "gather so much" I mean there is so much "stuff" in your head.
    ;-)

    SL@maxis, Nov 25, 2012
  12. On 11/24/2012 11:18 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > - for Windows, you'll probably end up with half a shelf of stuff which is
    > likely to be incomplete, thanks to MS's fondness for undocumented
    > features. Been there, done that, still got the pile of moldering books.

    There may be some undocumented stuff, but MS produces a lot
    of documentation.

    In 2008 installing the entire MSDN Library took 2.5 GB.

    And it likely several times bigger today in 2012 (but you can
    not download all of it - most of it is web access only).

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Nov 25, 2012