C++ for small Windows app?

Discussion in 'C++' started by Geoff Cox, Aug 14, 2005.

  1. Geoff Cox

    Geoff Cox Guest

    Hello

    Would be grateful if someone can make a few things clear for me!

    I have developed a small app using Java and would like to do the same
    using C++ but without the need for a runtime environment addition.
    This is a very samm app and it seems foolish to have to ask the user
    to install 20 MB of extra software.

    The app displays an image and a question asks the user to indicate
    his/her reaction to it by positioning a slider/trackbar. Clicking a
    button causes a new question and after the last question the slider
    values are saved to a file...

    Am I correct in thinking that Visual C++ with the Windows SDK for XP
    SP2 allows the creation of Win32 .exe programs?

    Could a non Visual C++ be used to create the above app? Any free
    compilers?

    Cheers

    Geoff

    Geoff Cox, Aug 14, 2005

  2. * Geoff Cox:

    > Would be grateful if someone can make a few things clear for me!
    >
    > I have developed a small app using Java and would like to do the same
    > using C++ but without the need for a runtime environment addition.
    > This is a very samm app and it seems foolish to have to ask the user
    > to install 20 MB of extra software.

    If you think nobody can resist mentioning that that's the case with Java,
    and not with C++, well you're wrong: we won't mention it. So there.

    > The app displays an image and a question asks the user to indicate
    > his/her reaction to it by positioning a slider/trackbar. Clicking a
    > button causes a new question and after the last question the slider
    > values are saved to a file...
    >
    > Am I correct in thinking that Visual C++ with the Windows SDK for XP
    > SP2 allows the creation of Win32 .exe programs?

    Yes.

    > Could a non Visual C++ be used to create the above app?

    Yes.

    > Any free compilers?

    g++ is recommended.

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

    Alf P. Steinbach, Aug 14, 2005

  3. Geoff Cox

    Geoff Cox Guest

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 20:29:24 GMT, (Alf P. Steinbach)
    wrote:

    >If you think nobody can resist mentioning that that's the case with Java,
    >and not with C++, well you're wrong: we won't mention it. So there.

    Well put and thanks for the info!

    Cheers

    Geoff

    Geoff Cox, Aug 14, 2005
  4. Geoff Cox

    Guest

    > The app displays an image and a question asks the user to indicate
    > his/her reaction to it by positioning a slider/trackbar. Clicking a
    > button causes a new question and after the last question the slider
    > values are saved to a file...

    You probably want a good GUI library for this one

    > Could a non Visual C++ be used to create the above app? Any free
    > compilers?

    I would try wx-devcpp @ http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/
    It comes with a visual forms designer, g++ 3.4, the wxwidgets library
    and is totally free!
    Cheers,
    Kieran

    , Aug 14, 2005
  5. Geoff Cox

    Geoff Cox Guest

    On 14 Aug 2005 15:24:41 -0700, wrote:

    >I would try wx-devcpp @ http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/
    >It comes with a visual forms designer, g++ 3.4, the wxwidgets library
    >and is totally free!

    Thanks Kieran - will follow up on that. I have just installed MS
    Visual C++ 2005 Express Beta 2 and ordered the Windows SDK CD from MS
    as I see that with that combination you can develop Win32 apps ...

    Cheers

    Geoff

    Geoff Cox, Aug 15, 2005
  6. Geoff Cox

    Mirek Fidler Guest

    > Could a non Visual C++ be used to create the above app? Any free
    > compilers?

    Try http://upp.sf.net.

    Mirek

    Mirek Fidler, Aug 15, 2005