C++ for web development?

Robert

I was wondering if there was any web server which supported the use of
c++ as a server side method for creating dynamic web pages. Is this
viable, or should I just bite the bullet and learn a server-side
scripting language like php?

-- Thanks in advance

Sam Holden

I was wondering if there was any web server which supported the use of
c++ as a server side method for creating dynamic web pages. Is this
viable, or should I just bite the bullet and learn a server-side
scripting language like php?

Almost all of them do.

You can write a CGI program in almost any language. Which of course
means it has nothing to do with the C++ language and hence is off
topic, try:

comp.infosystems.www.cgi

David Hilsee

Robert said:
I was wondering if there was any web server which supported the use of
c++ as a server side method for creating dynamic web pages. Is this
viable, or should I just bite the bullet and learn a server-side
scripting language like php?

I'm sure that it is possible to write C++ CGI applications. I have seen C++
CGI code, and there are libraries to aid in C++ CGI development (e.g.
http://www.gnu.org/software/cgicc/cgicc.html). However, this is not a topic
generally discussed in comp.lang.c++. I will say that higher-level
languages like Java, Perl, Python, and PHP will probably provide more
extensive web development libraries and a larger web development community
due to their popularity amongst web developers.

Ioannis Vranos

Robert said:
I was wondering if there was any web server which supported the use of
c++ as a server side method for creating dynamic web pages. Is this
viable, or should I just bite the bullet and learn a server-side
scripting language like php?

-- Thanks in advance

In the MS world you can do it with "ATL server" of IIS in this style:
You create a class with methods and you assign each method a keyword
called tag.

Then in a SRF file (which is the ATL Server dynamic file) you write HTML
and inside it you use those keywords, which are replaced with outputs of
method calls when the page is called through a browser.

An example. The C++ file:

#include <ctime>

class whatever
{
// ...
public:

[tag_name(name="GetDate")]
HTTP_CODE OnGetDate()
{
using namespace std;

time_t theTime;
time(&theTime);

m_HttpResponse<<ctime(&theTime);

return HTTP_SUCCESS;
}

// ...
};

The SRF file:

<HEAD>
</HEAD>

<BODY>
{{handler whatever.dll/Default}}

<h2>Time Server</h2>
The current date and time is: {{GetDate}}

</BODY>

The {{GetDate}} above is replaced with the output passed to
m_HttpResponse object.

Regards,

Ioannis Vranos

http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys

Ivan Vecerina

Robert said:
I was wondering if there was any web server which supported the use of
c++ as a server side method for creating dynamic web pages. Is this
viable, or should I just bite the bullet and learn a server-side
scripting language like php?

I would strongly suggest giving PHP a shot - you'll see its easy to
set-up, well supported, and takes little work to fulfill basic needs.
Of course web applications can be written in C++,
but it would be very much like hammering a screw.

Christopher Benson-Manica

Robert said:
I was wondering if there was any web server which supported the use of
c++ as a server side method for creating dynamic web pages. Is this
viable, or should I just bite the bullet and learn a server-side
scripting language like php?

<ot>It's certainly possible - all my company's dynamic web pages are
handled by CGI's written in C++. Now whether that's preferable to a
scripting language is another question altogether - my impression is
that it isn't.</ot>

Default User

Ivan said:
I would strongly suggest giving PHP a shot - you'll see its easy to
set-up, well supported, and takes little work to fulfill basic needs.
Of course web applications can be written in C++,
but it would be very much like hammering a screw.

That all depends. PHP is great and I use it for web developement, but it
can be very slow if you have some intensive work for it to do, like
search a bunch of files. Something that compiles to machine code, like C
or C++ can be very useful in the right application. It's worthwhile
knowing how to do both.

In answer to the OP's question, CGI only requires that programs be able
to access environment variables, read from standard in and write to
standard out. C++ can do all of these. As others mentioned, there are
prefab libraries out there to help out. Search for: C++ cgi

Brian Rodenborn

Don Kim

In the MS world you can do it with "ATL server" of IIS in this style: You
create a class with methods and you assign each method a keyword called
tag.

Don't forget also, that you can do traditional asp.net programming using
managed c++ as the code behind. I would imagine this will be the case with
the upcomming c++/cli, and will be even better since you can utilize much
more natural c++ syntax.

- Don Kim

one2001boy

Robert said:
I was wondering if there was any web server which supported the use of
c++ as a server side method for creating dynamic web pages. Is this
viable, or should I just bite the bullet and learn a server-side
scripting language like php?

-- Thanks in advance

If you intend to do C++ CGI in scripting language, C++ interpreter
Ch has C++ CGI toolkit which provides ASP or JSP like APIs for
CGI programming. You can download it for free use at
http://www.softintegration.com/products/toolkit/cgi/

You can stil use your favorite C++ language to write web applications.

As for dynamic web page programming like PhP, the solution is still not
there. But I heard that in the future, there might be a module called
mod_ch for Apache that allows you to write server-side scirpting in C++.

Robert

Thank you for your suggestions everyone, and I'd like to apologize for
the off-topic nature of my post. I didn't realize.