C function pointer within a class method

hs.samix

Hello,

I am trying to use a library which has a function, lets call it an
external function, which wants a function pointer as one of its
arguments.

If I use that library in a C program, all works well and I have no
problems. But I used the C program only to get started with the
library. The actual program I want to use that library with is in C++.

In my C++ program, I have a method function whose pointer I want to
use as the function pointer in the external function. However, I am
running in to problems. g++ gives this error (source code is given
below):
$> g++ -ansi -pedantic -Wall -o classfoo classfoo.cc
classfoo.cc: In member function 'void ClassFoo::Method()':
classfoo.cc:30: error: cannot convert 'void (ClassFoo::*)(int*)' to
'void (*)(int*)' in assignment

Below is an example program which demonstrates the above problem. In
this, vFunc1 is the external function which I cannot change (for the
curious, I am trying to use this library: http://www.ics.forth.gr/~lourakis/levmar/,
and the function I am trying to use is dlevmar_dif on that web page).
//------------------------ classfoo.cc
---------------------------------------
#include <iostream>

//a pre-defined function; not to be changed
void vFunc1(void (*func)(int *j), int i){
int m=0;//initialized to certain value
func(&m);
std::cout << m + i << std::endl;
}

//our example class
class ClassFoo{
public:
int q;
ClassFoo();
void Method();
void ModMethod(int *j);
};

ClassFoo::ClassFoo(){
q = 2;
}
void ClassFoo::Method(){
void (*FuncPtr)(int *) = NULL;
FuncPtr = &ClassFoo::ModMethod;
//vFunc1(FuncPtr,q);
}

void ClassFoo::ModMethod(int *j){
(*j) = (*j) + 2;//modify value
return;
}

int main(){

ClassFoo EgClass;
EgClass.Method();
return 0;
}
//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, how do I get around this problem?

->HS

Ian Collins

Hello,

I am trying to use a library which has a function, lets call it an
external function, which wants a function pointer as one of its
arguments.

If I use that library in a C program, all works well and I have no
problems. But I used the C program only to get started with the
library. The actual program I want to use that library with is in C++.

In my C++ program, I have a method function whose pointer I want to
use as the function pointer in the external function. However, I am
running in to problems. g++ gives this error (source code is given
below):
$> g++ -ansi -pedantic -Wall -o classfoo classfoo.cc
classfoo.cc: In member function 'void ClassFoo::Method()':
classfoo.cc:30: error: cannot convert 'void (ClassFoo::*)(int*)' to
'void (*)(int*)' in assignment
So it should, a class member isn't a C linkage function, it has a hidden
this parameter and the wrong linkage type.

To pass a pointer to a function to a C library, you have to use a
vanilla function with extern "C" linkage

H.S.

Ian said:
So it should, a class member isn't a C linkage function, it has a hidden
this parameter and the wrong linkage type.

To pass a pointer to a function to a C library, you have to use a
vanilla function with extern "C" linkage

Okay. I just did that. The only problem was that the function whose
pointer I am passing needed to use some member variables of the class.
That is why I had made that function as a member function as well.

Making that function (whose pointer I need) as vanilla function in C, I
got around the problem of using some member variables by saving them in
a structure and passing its pointer to the library function I am using.

It compiled ... the next stage is debugging.

Thanks for the help and explanation.
regards,
->HS