C++ getting data from serial/parallel port, how to?

Sonoman

Hi all:
I tried searching on the net, but I do not even know what I am looking
for. What I want to do is to write aprogram using C++ that will gather
data from an external microprocessor, format it and write it to a file
for later use. I can handle pretty much everything exept the part where
I "listen" to either the serial or parallel (may be USB?) ports for data
from the external source. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sonoman

John Harrison

Hi all:
I tried searching on the net, but I do not even know what I am looking
for. What I want to do is to write aprogram using C++ that will gather
data from an external microprocessor, format it and write it to a file
for later use. I can handle pretty much everything exept the part where
I "listen" to either the serial or parallel (may be USB?) ports for data
from the external source. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sonoman

You question is off topic for this group, please read this groups welcome
message for a description of what this group is about and some suggestions
for alternative groups where your question might be on topic.

http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

john

JKop

Sonoman posted:
Hi all:
I tried searching on the net, but I do not even know what I am looking
for. What I want to do is to write aprogram using C++ that will gather
data from an external microprocessor, format it and write it to a file
for later use. I can handle pretty much everything exept the part where
I "listen" to either the serial or parallel (may be USB?) ports for data
from the external source. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sonoman

OFF-TOPIC

If your platform is MSWindows, then:

CreateFileEx(...