C GUI libraries

Khookie

Apologies since this is outside the C spec & is in all likelihood
vendor spec, but I thought this would be the best & most sensible
group to ask. Please let me know if there is another group that could
answer the questions better.

I've been looking at cross-platform desktop GUI libraries
(specifically Windows & Linux), and it seems that most of them are for
C++ (wxWidgets, Qt, FLTK...).

The only one I noticed that was for C is GTK.

So:
- Why is it that there are not many GUI libraries for C?
- Has anyone done C GTK programming? Is it alright?
- Can anyone suggest an alternative for C that is cross-platform?

Simon Gerber

Khookie wrote on Sun, 09 Dec 2007 18:25:49 -0800:
Apologies since this is outside the C spec & is in all likelihood vendor
spec, but I thought this would be the best & most sensible group to ask.
Please let me know if there is another group that could answer the
questions better.

I've been looking at cross-platform desktop GUI libraries (specifically
Windows & Linux), and it seems that most of them are for C++ (wxWidgets,
Qt, FLTK...).

The only one I noticed that was for C is GTK.

So:
- Why is it that there are not many GUI libraries for C? - Has anyone
done C GTK programming? Is it alright? - Can anyone suggest an
alternative for C that is cross-platform?

I've used GTK+ for a while, and I'd say it's alright -- while not as
comfortable as having a really OO language for doing GUI which heavily
depends on signals and object manipulation -- for doing object based/GUI
programming in C.

SM Ryan

#
# I've been looking at cross-platform desktop GUI libraries
# (specifically Windows & Linux), and it seems that most of them are for
# C++ (wxWidgets, Qt, FLTK...).
#
# The only one I noticed that was for C is GTK.

X-Windows, Carbon, Tcl. Perhaps whatever abomonation Microsoft excretes.